Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:58

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi,Re-started

Hi,
This going to be my year. I said It, and I am going to do It this time, no more Messing Around for me.
Can't breathe, because of my weight, and dh is in bad health with emphysema, so I need to be there for him. I can't pussy foot around, anymore.
Shirley
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 17:14

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:

I plan on being on mantience by the end of this year... I told my husband that by Christmas I plan on being at my goal weight........ Im about half way there now.. YEAHHHHH...

Tammy
  #33   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 00:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Wink Oops! Renew Motivation for Goal

Quote:
Fiona: Renewed determination to focus on the road leading to 57kg by April 2002.

Just weighed myself. 61kg. I really tried VERY hard to stay LCing but had too many temptations (from within and without) whilst in non LC-company. I guess it could have been worse (I have had plenty of carb-loading binges recently), but it is definitely time to give myself a new deadline to achieve my goal.

57kg - December 2002.
Next Step: Back on Induction starting TODAY.

Take care.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 04:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I have been so close to goal many times but unfortunatley it seems that for me personally when everyone tells me how great I look I get a little lax... hubby who has lost 50 lbs. started weights at a gym and I can see a noticeable improvement in his overall toning... have read a few journals here on BFL and weights and am contemplating that route to help reach maintenance...I have always used the excuse that when I reach my goal I will start with the dedicated retoning ....in the past I have been an active exerciser (swimming, tennis etc) but it appears by reading the success of a few posts here that weights seems to be the way to go....

Bonnie
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 10:26

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Talking Reaching Goals

I hadn't even thought about when I would be reaching my goal. I know that setting dates and giving myself deadlines in the past has backfired in my face.

I imagine that I too will be reaching my goal this year. I have lost more than 40 pounds in a short period of time....so heck.... whats 15 more pounds in 7 months? I think I will be able to do that.

I will be checking in with you all come December and see how everyone is doing!

Libby
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 19:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204.5/149/145
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default maintenance

I also hope to start maintenance this year. My current goal is 150, but i'll wait to see how that looks and feels before I decide if that's where I want to stay or if I want to lose maybe 10 more.

It's so odd. I am fitting into the clothes I wore when I got married 11 years ago and was 18 lbs lighter! I think it's because I am doing weight-bearing aerobics and walking at least a mile a day on my treadmill.

Regardless, this year should be it!

Irish
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 21:35

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

24 pounds in 7 months sounds doable so yes I hope to be at goal this year
Nice and slim and trim in time for summer, thats what im looking forward to
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Easy Low Carb Living
Stats: 158/118/120
BF:
Progress: 105%
Cool Long Term Maintenance

I have been on maintenance for just over 2 years now

I actually am just a bit under my goal weight (and this is my revised goal weight, which I was reluctant to share initially cause I wasn't sure I could do it) - being on maintenance has been relatively easy for me

In the two years, my weight has varied no more than 3 pounds in either direction. I do not really binge, although I do occasionally have some dark chocolate as a treat. I do most of our cooking to control my carbs more effectively. I do like lots of flavor and variety, I am just careful about how I get it. After a while it just seems to become second nature. I don't even think of bread as part of my food plan

It may be easier for me now that my husband is also LCing - I don't worry about trying to do something different for him that won't tempt me. He is as dedicated as I am, although he can have more carbs than me and still maintain. We are convinced that this is the healthiest way to eat

We still keep daily dairies and weigh ourselves weekly to stay on top of where we are. It really helps to track things and then review them. We do a weekly summary and I do charts so we can follow our progress. It is not that time consuming and it sure helps to keep things from getting away from you

Cheers to all. I know you will get there, and once there, it is easier to maintain than you think

Pat
www.lowcarbliving.ca
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 16:55

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%
Thumbs up Congratulations to those who are near or who have achieved maintenance

Wow it looks like some of you are either close to your goal or have achieved it already.

I am just under my original goal weight on lbs but not there on body fat percentages. I suspect that to achieve the latter I will need to go down a few more pounds say to around 110 pounds.

I started losing weight from the 1st January of 2002 but it wasn't until the middle of March that I began low carb eating. The rest of the weight poured off and I had to keep introducing nuts etc after each bit of weight loss to slow it right down and have a rest from losing.

For exercise I do light weights for approx 30 mins 3 days a week. I also walk on the treadmill for 20-30mins 3 days a week.

I am currently in losing more pounds mode so that I can fit comfortably into size 8 (Australian size) Jeans and skirts. It is the tummy that is still way out of proportion with the rest of my body.

So hopefully I will reach my new goal by the 1st september or at least by my daughter birthday on the 10th of that month.

#40   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 13:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/186/155
BF:

will start atkins in march 2003. i am doing reading and research 1rst. want to lose 15-20 lbs, should be able to lose it this year. i think maintenance is the BIG thing especially on atkins, i will have to totally change the way i eat and think for the rest of my life! i don't cook, but it looks like i will have to learn, so i'm reading LC recipes. its a big thing for me to do, i'm disabled and don't have much energy due to my disability. hopefully the atkins way of eating will take care to that (lack of energy, altho fatigue is a big part of my disability), it was recommended by one of my doctors! i weigh about 175, maybe a few pounds less, and want to go down to about 155. i'm tall, 5"8 and large boned (really!) 46 yr. old woman. i was on atkins at age 20 and 33, was able to lose pretty easily, but eventually gained it back due to boredom in eating! but now there are alot of LC products, which weren't available when i was 20 and 33 yr. old.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 09:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Maintenance Man

I lost my weight to the target in 3.5 months induction from April 1, 2002. Since then I have been on maintenance for 7.5 months. When I was on induction I wondered how hard it would be to maintain. I had planned to do OWL but was too impatient and wanted to continue the success of induction. Reached my target and then there is this letdown of sorts that people talk about. There is a lot of excitement losing weight in induction and then you stop and the excitement goes away. One person told me when the excitement and attention goes away then you will start getting lazy and gain back weight.

Well that did not happen - I found out quickly that just adding fruit and low carb cereals was enough to maintain and it is remarkably easy. I will say that I use the scale everyday except weekends to check where I am. (For all scale haters ) Today I am 1 lb under my target. So that means if somehow I was passing by my favorite authentic mexican restaurant I could cheat and have a burrito or enchiladas with refried beans. I have been good in those situations and do not have the rice. Also only eat a few chips with salsa - I used to eat the entire bowl of chips before my meal came - it was sort of a challenge and goal. If I am 1 lb heavy I know that I can not cheat and so on.

My observation as a key to maintenance on any diet or just to do any diet is that one must develop an entire new menu with as many choices as one can to make it interesting. Otherwise it is very difficult to maintain if you are truly bored of your choices. For example I first read the Zone and just could not spend the time to calculate for every meal the correct protien to carb ratio and design an entire new Zone menu. With Atkins I found it much easier to just throw out the bread, rice, pasta etc. After induction I had to reach out and try LC products buying over the internet. Many times you hear "I am tired of eggs" Maybe induction you can eat eggs every morning, but can you do it year after year on maintenance? Maybe a few people can. But now I eat eggs maybe twice a week. Almost everyday I eat a low carb cereal and fruit for breakfast - right now clementines and red grapes. Sunday I cook up LC pancakes, eggs and bacon. The other meals are easier - so I am totally adapted to these new choices and look forward to these LC meals. This makes it easy to leave the old menu in the past and truly maintain.

The last thing in my long dissertation is that once I developed the menu choices - the portion sizes are always the same - so this lends it self to steady results on the scale. Good luck to everyone! Please hit your targets and reach maintenance