Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 07:21
Registered Member

Plan: no plan
Stats: 162/162/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default LC crockpot ideas

With all the great hints about saving time on premaking my lunches, I thought I could get more assistance from everyone! I thought to take it a step further and use my 6 qt crockpot (that has been sitting unused since I got it from my wedding) and cook a big thing of something Sunday and then save it for lunch throughout the week. Does anyone have any yummy LC crock pot recipes they want to share?

Thanks!
April
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 204/175/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Wink April to April-again

hello, it is raining cats and dogs, and horses here in PA today

We use our crock for basically all meats-especially on Sunday when we come home form church-there it is! here are a few ideas
any roast , add onions, carrots,potatoes,( whoops Potatoes are for hubby!)1 c. water and set on high for 5 hours( depends on size of meat)

steaks are great with toamto sauce and whatever seasonings you like.

In Pa we make pork and sauerkraut(allowed) -always add the sauerkraut 2 hours before meat is done-if you put it in at the begining it will be mush at the end!

we sometimes make a vegetable soup-mostly green beans and I make a crab soup the same way-only adding can crab and old bay at the end

cooked beef and broth-
4 c. green beans
1c. mixed vegatables
1 smalll onion
cabbage if you like-we like 1 c.

my boys also like sloppy joes made in crock
3 lbs. hamburger-browned with onion , and peppers
add to crock tomato sauce and splenda to taste and 1 tb of vinegar-heat thru and stir-keep on low for several hour- you can also make chili this way-No beans just the hamburger, tomato sauce and chili seanonings

hope this helps april

Last edited by 4EVERTHIN) : Thu, May-08-03 at 08:02.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 08:07
Registered Member

BF:

Hi April!
Thanks for the great recipes! I can't wait to try out my crock pot! It's raining here in San Diego....what?? Rain in San Diego? Can't be....but it is! Why do I pay $1.89/gal for gas and have mortgage payments that are twice the amount as other states? So I don't have to deal with rain!!

Take care, April, and be glad you don't have to deal with CA drivers in the rain!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 17:34

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%

#5   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default crockpot italian cream chicken

4 each boneless skinless chicken breast halves or thighs
1 envelope Italian Salad Dressing Mix
1/4 cup dry sherry
4 oz cream cheese, cubed

Put chicken breasts in crock pot. In small bowl, combine salad dressing mix and sherry. Pour over chicken. Cook on low 4-5 hours, remove chicken breasts from crock pot and add cream cheese chunks to the sauce.. Heat until cream cheese melts, stir mixture, return chicken breasts to crock pot until reheated. Serve over low carb veggies (cabbage or spaghetti squash work well). You can also use frozen chickenand let it cook on low 6-8 hours.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 10:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/160/120
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Sunday Chicken Supper <crockpot>

Hey, I saw your post and couldn't resist posting this recipe. It is SO yummy! I used to make this pre-lowcarb, and just now remembered it when I saw your post!

Sunday Chicken Supper (need at least a 5 qt crockpot)

4 medium carrots, cut in 2 in pieces (reserve these for rest of fam)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, cut in half
2 cups fresh green beans
5 small red potatoes, quartered (reserve these for rest of fam)
3- 3 1/2 lbs of chicken parts, or a boiler chicken
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 c hot water
2-3 chicken bullion cubes, or 2 tsp of the granule (I have also used a chicken tomato bullion with this...yummy! I find it in the ethnic foods section of my grocery with the spanish foods.)
little salt and pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil

In your slowcooker, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed above. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and pour over the top. Do NOT stir. Then just cover and cook on low for 6-8 hrs. Sometimes i put it on high for 1 1/2 hrs, and then cook it on low until the chicken is done, and veggies are tender. Then you can remove the chicken and veggies, and use some thicken thin to make gravy! Or what I do, is take all that yummy broth, and use it to make soup for the nest few days as well!

This recipe is so good. I hope you'll try it!

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 10:59

BF:
Default Additional recipes...

I forgot to mention that I also two other very good recipes for crockpots...one in San Fransisco Pork Chops, and the other is PA pot roast, both are very good. Just let me know if you'd like them!

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 13:27
Registered Member

BF:

mmmm.....Rachel, I LOVE pork chops! what's the recipe for the SF pork chops?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 16:13

BF:
Smile SF Pork Chops

These are real good, I always serve them with sauteed green beans and a mixed greens salad...oh so good!

4 bone in chops an inch thick, or you could use super thick cut loin chops
1-2 tbsp canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine or chicken broth
2 tblsp splenda, or equivilant
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch<you can use thick n thin, or xantham gum...which you can find at a health food store)
1 tbsp cold water

Season your chops on both sides with salt and pepper to taste, then in a skillet sear your chops on both sides. Get a nice yummy crust on both sides to keep them juicy. Transfer them to your crockpot. Add the garlic to your pan droppings and saute until just turning brown. Stir in your soy sauce, wine or broth, splenda, and the red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until everything is well mixed, and the sauce is becoming aromatic. Pour over the chops, cover and cook on low until the meat is tender, about 5-6 hrs. Combine your thickner and the cold water, stir until smooth. Gradually stir into the broth in the crockpot. Put your chops back in and cover up to cook for about20-30 min longer.

This recipe takes awhile to cook, but it is well worth it! It's real good, and I love the salty sweet combination of soy and splenda! Let me know how you like it!

Rachel