Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-11, 15:17

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%
Default Anybody doing Jack Kruse Leptin reset?

here are some links that explain it. He advocates a Paleo diet along with his Leptin reset rules. here is his series of blogs tagged "Leptin"
http://jackkruse.com/category/leptin/page/4/

many links to the protocol and FAQS
https://docs.google.com/document/pu...7Z_6bme_8E-XYOo

comments welcome, I've been trying this for 5 days and I like it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-11, 15:25

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Thanks for bringing this up, Deb. I bookmarked it a while back and forgot to go back and read it. I've been looking for the next thing to try; maybe this'll be it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-11, 15:55

BF:

I'm back now from reading some of it. I'm on board. I'll start tomorrow morning until Christmas. The hard part will be eating so early and so much at the beginning of the day. But I've got to try something different from what I've been doing. I'm already low carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free and still morbidly obese.

Of course I wasn't able to read all of that just now. I'll work on that over the next week.

I'll have to do a modified version of it around Christmas -- I'm meeting up with my parents in Santa Fe. In January I plan to try another round of hcg p2.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-11, 16:13

yep, I'm finding that stuffing myself at breakfast, lets me go the entire day until dinner time and then I only want something very small...no desire to snack at night either!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-11, 10:03

BF:

Holy cow. A minimum of 50 gm protein and a tablespoon of coconut oil is a really big breakfast.

I didn't manage to get it all in within 30 minutes of waking up but I did get it in within an hour. It doesn't give you time to do things like make coffee, look up protein counts of foods, drink the coffee, try to figure out what to eat next. I think I'd better come up with a plan the night before.

Zero carbohydrate doesn't allow for unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, or cocoa powder in my protein shake either.

This is definitely different from what I have been doing. When I read the guidelines yesterday I thought it was virtually the same. The food, the carb, the protein is about the same but I haven't eaten an early breakfast for a decade or more. I especially started pushing it back after reading all the intermittent fasting material.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 12:47

I have trouble getting the Big Breakfast in the 30 minutes too. I kind of cheat by not eating all those eggs- 50 gm protein from eggs would make me barf! So what I do is eat two cans of canned ham with just salt and smoke flavour - each can is 27 gm protein so I get 54 gm protein for breakfast. Chopped and heated in a pan with a little butter makes it pretty tasty too.

Also, I'm trying to stay away from mayo- which is a big deal for me because I love it....the PUFA'S are bad news for the cells so, I'm trying to stick with natural SAT fats like coconut, non-hydrogenated lard and butter.

I definitely have zero appetite for ANYTHING! I don't really even want to eat at mealtimes so I'm making myself eat at least the protein portion and leaving whatevers left if I can't eat it. I need to add in some fermented foods like sauerkraut to help with the good gut bugs too. It will add some tasty variety too.

This reset has totally killed all cravings(except maybe for Chinese Fried Chili Turnip Cakes from the local dim sum place )but I have a plan to make those very low carb and allowable.

I also have to remember that I have to have any coffee or tea with my meals instead of mid morning or afternoon.

also, down another 1/3 of a pound...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 16:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
I also have to remember that I have to have any coffee or tea with my meals instead of mid morning or afternoon.

Mid-afternoon black coffee is out? Or do you put something in yours?

I have a lot more reading to do. Do you know what he says about the occasional glass of red wine? Is it allowed?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 18:44

BF:

I've done more reading now and found the answers to both of those questions: black coffee okay; wine is not.

This guy is a character. I think he'd seem slightly crazy in real life, but likable. His writing is entertaining.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-11, 10:03

I don't mind his style. I think he can get a bit impatient but usually because people ask the same questions over and over, sometimes in a way that seems as if they are looking for a different answer because they feel their 'special' circumstance makes them different than the rest of us...I have to say I get somewhat (eyerolly) when I see the "but I have this...or "but in my case I'm different".

If people are looking for outs before they even give the program a good honest try, then I don't think they really want to change. Something about making exceptions for themselves or "cheating" because they "need" to is just insisting that they prefer things the way they are...as Dr. Phil would say "they are getting some kind of payoff otherwise they'd be open to change". Rant over
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-11, 10:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm following you with interest. I'm not sure I could down 50g of protein within 30 minutes of rising. That's like 6 eggs!

Just out of curiosity, how do you know if you've reversed your leptin resistance? I know there are leptin blood tests, but they're kind of expensive.

I have some gelatin granules I could put into a breakfast drink. I'll have to check their protein content.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-11, 11:07

BF:

You've got to do this with meat. Eggs ... well, you have to really love eggs to eat enough here. I only started eating eggs in my late thirties, I never liked them before. I like them okay now but I have limits.

I found 3 pounds of ground veal at a ridiculously low price yesterday -- they must have had a surplus. Because ground veal makes meatloaf very tender I've always wondered what would happen if you made a meatloaf with only veal. We're supposed to be zero carb for breakfast, so I made a meatloaf of veal, eggs, and seasonings. It's tender but I miss the sauteed onion, grated mushrooms and other veggies that I normally put in a low carb meatloaf. ANYWAY, what I meant to say is a very reasonable portion of meatloaf plus two eggs.

I guess Jack Kruse's Leptin Reset does not help with distraction and running off on tangents!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-11, 13:37

BF:

Hmm. This is interesting: after two full days on the Jack Kruse Leptin Reset I'm down 4.2 pounds. It could be one of those inexplicable weighing anomalies but I don't think it's water because I was already faithfully low carb before this. It's also not my scale -- I bought one this year that is extremely consistent. I didn't even manage to weigh before breakfast because of the big rush to eat protein while the clocking is ticking away.

We'll see what happens.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-11, 15:50

I saved some of his information in a file for myself:

Signs that you are becoming Leptin Sensitive (LS) again

A. Men will notice quick weight loss.
B. Women will notice mood changes first (calmer/sleepy) and their sleep will improve. Their clothes will fit differently but weight may not change drastically initially because of effects on the pituitary. This will change too if they continue moving forward.
C. You will notice a change in your sweating pattern.
D. You will notice you have better recovery from exercise and your energy levels seem to have risen.
E. Your hunger is gone and so are your cravings.
F. When you awaken you will feel very refreshed like you slept well.
Generally when the signs are all present, I then really push HIIT exercise with heavy weights.

He makes a special point somewhere else that I can't find right now that women start off pretty slow in the weight loss category but he also points out strongly that with persistence, women often do better in losing weight/fat than men...

#14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 10:04

BF:

This morning I weighed before breakfast and coffee and I'm down another 1.4 for a total of 5.6. I'm quite surprised at this. A couple possible explanations come to mind:

- In the past couple of weeks I've put on 4.7 pounds for no apparent reason. I was eating low carb. I shouldn't have gained those to begin with. This is the reason I was frantic to try the next new thing immediately.

- Starting the JKLR coincides with my giving up butter. I've given up dairy before, but this is the very first time I've given up butter. I was avoiding casein but forgot about butter raising insulin. Then I re-read some old threads and it finally sunk into my thick skull: butter raises insulin.

I don't know what happens next. I've got a big Christmas party to attend tonight and intend to drink wine. One thoughtful person ordered a special gluten-free dessert and there will be no way that I can politely decline it, as I am the only gluten-free guest amongst these forty people. I'll see if I can make it look like I took a couple bites and then get caught in a crowd, set it down, and accidentally walk away. Or maybe the party be chaotic enough that I can sneak it into a garbage can or toilet.

ETA: or maybe there's something about eating coconut oil that's helping me lose?

Last edited by bike2work : Sat, Dec-10-11 at 10:16. Reason: coconut oil theory
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 11:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I may join you ladies. I have to do something to put the brakes on this rapid weight gain I'm experiencing!