Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-16, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default I hope so

I hope so, cos I am thirsty like I wandered in the desert for days. So a 100 oz or so being downed every day on average, and oddly, I pee maybe 30-40.
I hope water is displacing fat. And soon it should go too.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 10:52
Registered Member

BF:

I hope some of the water is gone, cos in just about a week, I lost 14 lbs.
So my advice is - the painful part where you shed the fat has no visible reward. Then at the time you get frustrated, your body decides to dump all the water if you stayed on the plan. That can happen in as little as 1 week like in my case. 1 more belt size down and 14 lbs down.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 12:57
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

That's great to hear Srinath. Congratulations with sticking to it, as yes, it can seem discouraging.
I'm marching onward as well... no real sucesses yet other than maybe a little better fitting pants! 4 weeks in I am feeling marvellous in so many other ways!
  #154   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-16, 06:05

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just came across this great article (even though its over a year old).
The writer weighed himself every hour (yes, hour) over a three-day weekend, and then analysed the results and discussed the reasons behind those results, complete with graph.

Why-your-bathroom-scales-are-lying-to-you-and-how-to-find-your-true-weight]

The final part, about how to gauge your true weight, won't be particularly useful for losers, but might be good for maintainers. Its almost enough to make me want to buy some scales for myself!
  #155   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-16, 09:06
Registered Member

BF:

I have an official weigh in day/time. I've been officially weighing myself, in the same spot, on the sale scales on sunday right after I wake up and hit the bathroom, wearing only a pair of shorts. Now that I brought those scales to my current house - I am standing on it every day ~ random times, but all that does not count. Its now reading 191, and its on a carpet with crawl space (this scale used to read 4lbs lower when on concrete with vinyl vs carpet) but, sunday it read 195-196. So my weight for this week is 196 (about the same as last weeks 197).
Weighing yourself every hour can be entertaining, and frustrating to say the least. LOL.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #156   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-16, 04:44

Plan: Blood sugar eating tips
Stats: 217/188/165 Male 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Some days I'm quite firm and tight, others I'm super wobbly. Scales fluctuating around this time.

Bloody hate the wobbly days, and try to keep focused that it is water.

Down 30lb in 2.5 months.

I'm type 2 diabetic.
  #157   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 08:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

From Dr. Robert Lustig:
"The best way to determine whether or not you've got metabolic dysfunction or not is your waist circumference, not your weight. I tell people, the scale lies more than you do. When you stand on the scale, you're measuring four compartments at once. Bone, more is better. Muscle, more is better. Subcutaneous fat, big butt fat, if you will, turns out more is better....And the fourth compartment is the visceral, or the big belly fat. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's not about weight, it's about waist. Measuring waist circumference is probably the single-best thing you can do for yourself. It's cheap, and when you exercise, you don't lose weight, you actually gain weight because you're gaining muscle. But what you're doing is, you're making mitochondria, and you're losing that visceral fat, and that's why exercise improves health, not because of weight loss."

Full transcript at: http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2...d-obesity-and-d

There have been large studies that a Waist half Height is the best predictor of long term health. That should be everyone's goal, not BMI or scale weight.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=442331

And just for Fun on this topic...a Dog and his Scale:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/574...56382860391959/
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 10:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

This thread, old and new additions, has been incredibly helpful.

My thanks to all of you experienced and knowledgable low-carbers who have shared your research and personal discoveries. I feel much better prepared to face periods without weight loss (as measured by the scale) with patience and understanding for my complex body doing what it needs to do.

I've benefitted so much from those of you who have posted encouragement and research over the years, I have read back almost decades in the threads -- thanks for your dedication in supporting others.

#159   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 19:15

Plan: any that works
Stats: 185/182/160 Male 5'2
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default hmm

Very interesting stuff here. Glad someone's doing the research this is really helpful
  #160   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-17, 09:34

This whole article condensed to a 4 minute video .
"Fat Cells are Like Water Balloons:Why the Scales are not your Friend on Ketogenic/Low Carb Diets"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xF3rmi4DJAw
  #161   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-17, 08:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Great little video! Also, if it's true what Dr. Lustig says, then that's very encouraging since my waist in inches is now a little less than half my height in inches.

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, Oct-18-17 at 08:28.
  #162   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-17, 04:54

The waist to height ratio as a indicator of good health has another new large study of NHS records to support that conclusion. It has the benefit of being cheap, easy, and captures the ethnic groups shorter in stature who may carry visceral fat and get diabetes at BMIs well under 25. Much more on it in this thread. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...31&page=3&pp=15
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-17, 07:51
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

My first year of maintenance was anything but sticking to my lowest weight. I put on 20 pound over my low last year. That sounds terrible and it certainly wasn't the plan. But what I find interesting is where the extra pounds went to. It wasn't all bad.

My butt filled back in. It was like a deflated balloon last year with 3 or 4 wrinkles of skin sagging below where my butt used to be. Now I have padding to sit on again and only one crease under by butt cheeks.

The deep cavities that formed in my arm pits during weight loss filled back in. I remember thinking that I'm glad I'm not a women with the need to shave that area. It would have been like shaving the inside of a halved tennis ball. That is not an issue anymore.

I can't know for sure, but I feel as though some of the weight returned to my muscles. After 30 months of weight loss I was feeling pretty wimpy. I don't feel that way anymore. I feel stronger and I think that it is from adding back a little bit of muscle everywhere.

Some weight (fat) has come back to my love handles. That has been a problem area for me my whole life. It was the last fat to go when losing. So of all the changes, I'm not too happy about that one and I'm working on getting back to where I was a year ago.

But one thing that hasn't changed much is my waist size. At my current weight I didn't fit the pants that I'm wearing today when I was first losing the weight. I had to get under 200 pounds before I fit my goal jeans. I will admit that they are a little tighter now than they were a year ago, but as I said, I could not wear them when I first reached 210 pounds 18 months ago. I have stuck to low carb/high fat food throughout my first attempt at maintenance. I was eating the right foods; just eating too much to remain weight stable. So I don't think that any weight I put on was visceral fat. That is probably the reason why my pants still fit.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Oct-19-17 at 08:07.
  #164   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-17, 08:24

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

All my adult life I measured 5'3" until about the last 10 years when I measure somewhere around 5'2". I'm a little thick around the waist which seems to include some extra skin from a 115 pound weight loss but is not at all that hard fat that is said to be visceral fat. If I calculate my waist height ratio I just come under the wire into the healthy category. If I hadn't lost height I would do a bit better according to the chart. It is easy to take these metrics too seriously since they do not take into consideration individual variations. I cannot selectively focus reducing my waist measurement. My diet is pristine. What I try to do is eat right as best as I know how and ignore the metrics which are never perfect and sometimes positively misleading.

Jean
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-17, 19:49

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

All my life, even back when I was thin, my waist was my biggest problem. Anytime I put on a couple pounds, I noticed it when I could not button my pants. They always fit fine over my thighs and butt, but would not button. And I don't ever expect that to change. I think it's genetic for me, as my mother was the same.