Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 17:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Altering the diet may ease fibromyalgia

By Keith Mulvihill

NEW YORK, Oct 25 (Reuters Health) - The results of a small, preliminary study suggest that people with fibromyalgia may experience reductions in their symptoms if they eliminate one or more foods from their diet.

Lead investigator Dr. Joel S. Edman of the Center for Integrative Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, presented the findings at the annual meeting of the American College of Nutrition in Orlando, Florida, earlier this month.

"People don't need to completely change their life, but food may be a contributing factor to their condition," Edman told Reuters Health.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition, often accompanied by depression and fatigue, in which a person feels pain in the muscles and tissues surrounding the joints. Nine in 10 fibromyalgia patients are female. While the cause of fibromyalgia is unknown, researchers have found pain-processing abnormalities in the spines and brain stems of some people with fibromyalgia.

In the study, Edman and colleagues reviewed medical charts of 17 fibromyalgia patients who agreed to eliminate common foods from their diet such as corn, wheat, dairy, citrus, soy and nuts.

After 2 weeks without eating any of the potential food allergens, nearly half of the patients reported "significant reduction of pain," and 76% reported a reduction in other symptoms such as headache, fatigue, bloating, heartburn, and breathing difficulties, according to Edman. Two patients had an increase in symptoms.

After the food elimination phase of the study, the patients were then instructed to reintroduce a particular food every 2 or 3 days and monitor their reaction to the food.

Some of the reactions to foods were pain, headache, and gastrointestinal distress, Edman noted. The most common problem-causing foods or ingredients for the patients in this study were corn, wheat, dairy, citrus and sugar.

"It's a preliminary study...but (the findings) do support the idea that food may play a role in fibromyalgia and more research in this area should be conducted," he said.

Such a test offers "no real harm to the patients other than the time and effort it takes to try it," Edman emphasized.

"There is no real downside and it has a potential upside," he added.

http://www.reutershealth.com/archiv...025elin001.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: sensible low carbing, no
Stats: 330/330+/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thanks for posting this article, Doreen! It is true since begining my low carbing in August 2001, 85% of my symptoms have vanished!! I also no longer have numbness in my extremeties and can again sleep on my back and left side without my arms and going numb (which the doctor said was part of my fibro). I feel super for the most part. Also less mentally fogged up!~~bella
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 18:00

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 276/248/137
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hey guys........I've had fms for seven years and found that low carbing was very effective........I just can't seem to get back on track mentally to get past the initial first two weeks again. I'm not able to resist the wrong things. Anybody got any suggestions Shelly
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: sensible low carbing, no
Stats: 330/330+/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

What has worked for me Shelly is to do "sensible low carbing". I can't do Atkins and to those who can I applaud you. I need some carbs, it's just my make-up I guess. But carbs were obviously killing me. When I had my auto accident and went directly to ICU from emergency my blood sugar level was 187! And I am not diabetic but before I left the house I had eaten a big slice of apple pie for breakfast. I was not dieting then. I previously had counted fat grams for 5 years, ignored carbs grams and sugar and made no headway to health or losing much weight. And my fibro got worse during that time. When I finally was forced into looking at how much I weighed, I started low carbing immediately. The first two weeks took off 14 pounds and it's been steadily downhill from there with my weight. And as I have weened myself from most carbs, eliminating specific things my fibro has begun to vanish. I have a list of about a dozen "no's" that I don't eat no matter what. I simply keep a watch dog on my carbs and that seems to work for me.~~bella
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 13:12
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I've started using Bovine (cow) Colostrum Plus. I've read that it helps Fibromyalgia too. According to everything I'm reading, Colostrum (which is the first milk right after birth for mammals), has so many benefits, that it seems too good to be true. But I am willing to try to see if this will help me lose weight and also get rid of my allergies, which it claims can be done. They claim it relieves everything for allergies to relieving multiple sclerosis symptoms. The first site below, will give you information from a prominent Colostrum maker (Symbiotics), where the cows come from New Zealand (no pesticides used in their food, etc.). The second site is the best price I could find for the products. It's not cheap, but if it can do all it claims it can do, it's worth it! Has anyone heard anything about this?

http://www.symbiotics.com

http://www.metafoods.com/colostrum/plus.htm

Hopefully I won't start desiring to eat grass from some farmers field
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 03:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/180/140
BF:
Question New low carber with ME and returned symtoms

I have started the Atkins diet two weeks ago and find that my symptoms of M.E. are much worse at present with disabling pain, particularly round kidney area and severe I.B.S. symptoms. I gained over 40lbs ten years ago in the first three months of getting M.E. and even with prescribed medication (Reductil) could not shift the weight. I'm thrilled that I've lost 10lbs in my first two weeks of Atkins but it seems to have been at a cost to any 'normal' lifestyle. After three years of being bedridden with M.E. , with God's help I had made a more limited life than my former energetic career/mother superwoman but with some compensations in the last seven years! I don't want to lose that gain but I long to lose the weight!I 've Read Doreen T's letters and others with interest and wonder if someone can reassure me that the deterioration is temporary.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 07:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Margarita,

I'm sorry you've experienced such a bad flare. It could be due to a food intolerance .. are you eating more of something than you were before? such as cheese or beef? It might be helpful to avoid those foods for at least a couple weeks, then add them back slowly, and only have occasionally after that. I find that this helps me .. especially the cow milk cheese. Goat or sheep's milk cheese and yogurt may be an alternative if you think cow dairy products are a problem.

As well, the radical change in diet, even though it's for the better, can be interpreted by the body as major stress .. and this can trigger a flare.

Or it may just be the nature of the beast I sometimes find my fibromyalgia/CFIDS is so unpredictable ... I'll go along doing everything right then out of the blue .. WHAMM, I'm knocked flat by pain and fatigue. Other times, I'll overdo .. and yes, I'll have some aches and pains which are manageable .. but my energy levels stay great. The weather is a huge factor for me ... the recent heat wave with high humidity here in the northeast was dreadful.

The "kidney area" pain (I'm assuming flank pain .. to the sides, at mid-back level) is likely related to the IBS. Unhappily, changes in diet will trigger a flare of this too. Are you taking a fiber supplement? Psyllium husks, which you can buy as sugar-free Metamucil or you can find it in bulk at any health food store ... will be helpful for both constipation and diarrhea. Make sure you're drinking lots of pure water, and eating plenty of leafy green and high-fiber veggies. If you're eating a lot of salads and raw veggies, and this is new for you, it might be helpful to have only cooked or lightly steamed vegetables for a while. Or take a product like Beano .. the enzymes will aid your digestion when you eat raw veggies.

Drinking lots of water, minimum 8 glasses a day, will also help to flush out any toxins and by-products of fat-metabolism. Some toxins and residues may be stored in our body fat, and as we burn the fat, the toxins are released into the system. Making sure we're well-hydrated will help to speed up the elimination process.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 07:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/180/140
BF:
Smile Thanks to Doreen T

Many thanks Doreen for taking the time to respond to my concerns. I found your reply very helpful. I had been eating much more cheese than previously so I have cut that out and already have noticed an improvement in the IBS. As you advise I'll leave it out of my diet for a while before retrying.
I'm pretty used to salad vegetables as I live in Crete where they are fresh and often organic but I suspect that leaving out many carbohydrates alters the food balance as you suggest.
I will look out for psyllium here but I may have to purchase this on a trip to my home country England in the autumn.
I feel more encouraged that I can lose weight and maintain my status quo with the ME or CFS. It has been very hot and windy here in the last week which may not help symptoms; but at present they are improving. So again thank you so much and I hope that you will have a great improvement in your own illnesses very soon. Best wishes, Maggy (Margarita)
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 13:27

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 276/248/137
BF:

slm6596............how's the colostrum working on your fibro? How's everybobies condition coming along?..............
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 15:43

Plan: atkins low carb
Stats: 162/138/130
BF:25.24,15
Progress: 75%
Default fibromaglia

Thanks for this article. My stepmom has fibro, really bad along with at thyroid problem. When i went on vacation to visit she was telling me about the Atkins diet and was getting ready to try and start it. Low and behold i had my copy of Atkins New Diet Rev with me and immediately gave it to her. I practially have it memorized. She hadn't started the diet the last time i talked to her(a week ago) but i am going to send her this article and when she gets over her broncitis i hope she will start this. My dad could lose a couple of pounds since he is a borderline diabetic. Again thanks for this article. tina
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 10:34

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 197/150/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Atkins Myth

I don't know why people say that Atkins is a "NO Carb" diet. Its not a diet, its a way of life and it controlled carb not NO CARB! I eat the RIGHT carbs. Green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, salads, spinach. And low glycemic fruits such as melons and a handful of berries from time to time.

Just wanted to correct...we certainly don't need other people thinking that Atkins is "NO Carb"

Quote:
Originally posted by bellablue
What has worked for me Shelly is to do "sensible low carbing". I can't do Atkins and to those who can I applaud you. I need some carbs, it's just my make-up I guess. But carbs were obviously killing me. When I had my auto accident and went directly to ICU from emergency my blood sugar level was 187! And I am not diabetic but before I left the house I had eaten a big slice of apple pie for breakfast. I was not dieting then. I previously had counted fat grams for 5 years, ignored carbs grams and sugar and made no headway to health or losing much weight. And my fibro got worse during that time. When I finally was forced into looking at how much I weighed, I started low carbing immediately. The first two weeks took off 14 pounds and it's been steadily downhill from there with my weight. And as I have weened myself from most carbs, eliminating specific things my fibro has begun to vanish. I have a list of about a dozen "no's" that I don't eat no matter what. I simply keep a watch dog on my carbs and that seems to work for me.~~bella
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 18:06

Plan: protein diet
Stats: 168/163/130
BF:
Progress: 13%

I've been suffering from the side-effects from the Statin drug, Lipitor for high cholestrol. I was one of the lucky ones that had SEVERE pain, weakness, damaged nerves, stabbing pains and on and on..................... Anyway it is a lot like fibromyalgia. Iread your posts and decided to try the Protein plan. I had gained 30 pounds from hurting and not doing much exercise or anything for 71/2 years.
I can not say how much better I feel, at least I can now move, get up from my chair, exercise. Between this plan and exercising I feel so much better. I've been off Statins for 8 months now, yes I still have the damage from Statins, but I feel about 50% better.
Beware of Statin drugs, read the warnings about them, check out the damage some people, like me have gotten from Statin drugs, I took Mevacor, Zocor and Lipitor. My doctor nor I new what was happening to me for 7 long years.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 22:32

Plan: Adkins and Mine mixed
Stats: 250/224/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I tried adkins a few years ago and wondered why I felt so good. So different, but young and not willing to accept that anything was forbidden; I splurged and fell out. Now I am suffering from many Ailments. I have not been diagnosed with Fibro, but I gotta tell you when I research my symptoms It comes up associated with every symptom I have. that along with Acute Broncitis.

I jumped back in last November. I have lost about 30lbs. I feel so much better, and getting better everyday; However I did my own twist. I am strict through the week getting carbs from Fruits and veggies, but I do give myself Sunday. I will cheat per-say. I will let myself have the one thing that I am missing the most. It makes it easier for me to say "No I can hold off until Sunday" rather than tell my self "No you can't ever have that again" I am not trying to say this is the way, but it works for me and the Diet (Way of Life) is easier for me to stick to, as I am so bull headed not wanting to think that there is anything in life that I can't enjoy. LOL

Shelli - newbee

Last edited by obsessing : Tue, Jan-11-05 at 22:36. Reason: typos
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 08:29

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

If that works for you, then go for it!

Besides, if any of the symptoms are caused by food sensitivites then the fact that you no longer eat them every day should make it OK when you do. Food sensitivities usually take a long time to develop and are made worse by eating the same foods over and over.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 23:38
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 280/165/165 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 100%

Starmaker,

Diet is not something that is done to lose weight.

Diet is whatever you are putting into your body. If you eat Hot Dogs, cake and potatoes everyday, then that is your diet.

This is why people re-gain the weight they lose. They expect that they can change their diet to lose weight and then go back to eating how they were when they were fat and not regain the weight.

The definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time."

Doesn't work that way.

And yes, Low carb is not no carb. You do eat fruits and vegetables. You can do it without eating any meat. And it is not a high fat diet.

Done properly, diets should consist of high lean protein (as important as low carb for burning stored fat), medium good fat (like monounsaturated fats - avoid all trans fats), and low carb (mostly complex carb) plan.