Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 10:28

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hey Peggy,

I returned to Discuss Cooking just recently in frustration of the lack of interest in real cooking here. Plus having to third party upload pics. It seems my recent unearthing of some LC threads there has stimulated the administrators (I'm sure its others as well, but there was no LC Forum just days ago when I returned) to create a brand new Low Carb Keto forum section.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f172/

It'd be another place for you to spread your knowledge, plug your blog, books, etc., and I've really enjoyed and appreciated your activity here. We share a love of cooking and thats what DC is supposed to be about.

Full disclosure, I left two years ago because as is with many forum sites, a few senior members who are busybody nitpickers who just would not let some stuff go without an argument, aggravated me to the point I just threw my hands up and never went back. I seem to remember you mentioning something similar at another LC site...I have stopped posting at a smoking meat forum for similar reasons...that and on that smoking site, it seems every other thread gets hijacked by people pushing the products the owner of the site purveys.

Also, I noticed there is an ignore button there too, so I'm going to give it a whirl. Anyone acts like a jerk and they will just be ignored. They are a bit of a stickler on posting recipes by others, meaning they protect your rights as an originator of a recipe and frown on anyone copy and pasting recipes. I'd like to post some variations of your recipes I have done if you dont mind. I have either changed up some ingredients or the directions so not a direct steal from your blog. I'm not trying to make a blog or compete, just share things I've learned and done and you've been a big part of that recently. I would always include a link to the original recipe just like you do.

I'm Chef Kenny on DC. Come on over to this fledgling forum...your cooking, as well as mine, qualifies for the rest of the site too quite often. Not just low carb...but rich and delicious...and just happens to be low carb!

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Thu, Sep-06-18 at 10:34.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-18, 20:26
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Well, you're very observant about little interest in recipes or posting same here. You get a few views, but rarely a comment, positive or negative. I also belong to a fledgling group called LowCarbNeighborhood. Just started up in June when LowCarbFriends (owned/operated by Netrition.com) shut down for no reason anyone can deduce. I left LCF much earlier because not only did they require third party photo hosting, the site owners wouldn't allow you to post any links, to your own site or others. After getting my hand slapped there a couple times, I walked away and said "Enough."

The new LowCarbNeighborhood has some of the nicest, most creative and clever cooks on the internet, Ken. LOVE chatting with those cooks. But the site is still new and not all of the great cooks at the old LCF have migrated over to the new LCN forums. I think you'd like LCN as well, as those folks are really into kitchen experimenting. Though I haven't posted all that much there yet, I do check out the activity daily. I hope all the old-timer cooks at LCF eventually join the new forum. The admins are nice; you can post links both to your own site or others; and you can upload photos direct from your PC to a forum post (no 3rd-party needed).

I never mind folks posting recipes that one of mine has inspired, Ken. If it's the exact recipe, credit back to me is always appreciated.

Last edited by Buttoni : Sat, Sep-08-18 at 18:46.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-18, 13:52

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Ken, I'm glad you posted the link to the KetoLowCarb forum at DC. I have been a member there for years but mostly read, seldom post.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-18, 18:42
Patience Personified

Hi, Carol. I saw your post at DC right above a question regarding site rules I tried to get an answer to. Not a good indicator when nobody answers a question in 3 hours, so pretty light traffic there, for sure.

I went out and took a look at their site rules, Ken, and because I promote LOW CARBING AMONG FRIENDS cookbooks on my blog (although I opted to not get paid for doing so from day one 4 years ago), I can't ever post my recipes at DC without the same copy/paste routine and third party hosting I have to deal with here. No links are allowed to a for-profit site. The hoops you have to jump through at some forums to share a recipe with their community has cut way back on my posting here and elsewhere. And then all too often, there seems to be little to no interest in the recipes, so hardly worth the time really. I'm going to stick with LowCarbNeighborhood forums for now for the lion's share of my recipe sharing outside of my blog. At least there I can link to my website for follow-on questions re: a recipe and I don't have to use a photo hosting site. Can upload direct from my PC. What I like so much here and why I keep coming back is reading the LC Research & Studies sub-forum.

Last edited by Buttoni : Sun, Sep-09-18 at 11:20.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 09:31

BF:

I sure wish I had come back and read this here, Peggy. I've been so busy with other stuff and fruitlessly trying to gain traction over at DC...I dont know why I didn't check back here. I guess I felt like I was looking like I was obsessing with you or whatever since I'm almost the only other commenter in this thread...I'm not trying to be weird, you are just one of the few people who really "discuss cooking" and get in to detail that I've come across online recently, and some of your recipes have changed my LC paradigm.

Well, not coming here to find your status at DC, got me a hand slap from the DC moderators. You know how these mods operate, its like the social media sites, they send you a warning with some general forum rule and tell you that you have violated it. To their credit, when I said I could not figure out what I had done, they actually replied. My sin? I repeatedly mentioned trying to lure you to the site and didn't know if you had been approved to link, but you hadn't been back. The final violation that got me admonished was mentioning that again...as I was linking one of your recipes! They considered that "poking the moderators" and informed me that posting ANYTHING that even hints at referring to ANY moderator action is a violation. I think the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld must be a moderator there!

I'm about done with my re-try at DC. The place is just a foul mood with some of the long time members. That seems to be the problem with so many of these sites. There is a hierarchy and they support and pat each the on the back while being unpleasant and flippant to newbies and especially anyone like me who comes in, writes prolifically and starts posting detailed step by step stuff with pics...like "who am I, and where do I get off acting like I belong?". Had a similar problem on SmokinMeats Forum. A bunch of rear end kissers to the site owner that seem to hawk the site owners products as a solution to nearly every question and thread post.

I have experienced the same thing as you, Peggy, regarding the crickets you hear/see (figuratively) when you put the effort in to posting stuff. Get some lookyloo's but few people who actually comment or participate. Funny thing is, even though this site is nearly dead regarding new cooking and recipe discussions and posts (to this site's credit, they rest on what looks like well over a decade of recipes and cooking activity, and the recipes are all there, albeit aged and better methods are now known for some), I've probably had the best experience here compared to DC and SmokinMeat, etc., as far as the kindness of the people.

Since going back to DC, I've seen 4 nice people leave; citing the arrogance and the criticism and sense of almost belligerence there. I'll share this one PM that sums it up pretty well sent to me by one member in response to an exchange where my first trial post with step by step pics (and I stated it was a trial run) was met with the first reply comment simply saying, "Sorry TLDNR" (too long did not read). It's been removed by moderators along with some others...but pray-tell...I mentioned that in the thread too! Violation! Simply recognizing posts were removed is a big fat no-no...

I got this PM. Of course I will not divulge the members name. I had to edit the first line because of a curse word:

> Subject: What a %!¢k!

Sorry you had to experience that. I appreciated the post.

I might bail from this forum, I think half the people here are retards.

If I end up at a good keto forum, I'll let you know!<

Yep, that's the mood over there. After thinking about it overnight and after working up a post I had to really shorten to try and "please" the short attention spans of the judgemental people there, I think, not only will I not share that recipe (one of mine I've developed over years for Thai Red Curry) and create the post, but I'm going to just refrain from posting there again. When I find myself having personal consternation over a bunch of unpleasant people on an unpleasant site that I elected to engage, it's clear not only is it a waste of my valuable time, but it actually sours my mood throughout the day as it gnaws at me. Life's too short for that crappola.

I will head over to LCNeighborhood, register and see what's happening there. Sounds like it has to be better than DC. I was excited when DC created the new LC forum, but now really disappointed as it seems few participate, and some of those have already gotten mad with the site and left. I have been reminded in the last few weeks why I stopped posting their over two years ago.

PaCarolSue,

You can tell from my long post here that I dont recommend DC now. Your mileage may vary, but I'm soured again about the site.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 18:33
Patience Personified

Sorry about your bad experience yet again at DC, Ken. I joined only to unjoin by day's end. I saw some nasty posts that alarmed me. I left LCF ages and ages ago because of the absurd hand-slapping they did over there.

Yes, the people here at ALC are very nice. And I think many are great cooks, but as I said earlier, they are more into just viewing a recipe, perhaps copying, perhaps not. Who knows with no comments? Rarely any of those, so you really can't tell if people like the sound of a recipe or not. But that is getting more and more prevalent on MANY LC forums and on food blogs themselves. I think it's the glut of LC food bloggers on the net now that has triggered off this reader response complacency. So many recipes are just re-hashes (and often only SLIGHTLY altered) of the same old recipes developed by LC cooks over 10 years ago. I go to Pinterest and see five million ways to make a pizza casserole, five million variations on a theme of chicken alfredo, five million ways to make tortillas and bread, five million mug cakes and of course, my NOT-SO-FAVORITE-FOOD, pizza/pizza crusts. Man, is that all people are interested in at the dinner table anymore? I find it quite boring checking out Pinterest most days. However that boredom is interrupted occasionally by a truly creative recipe either in ingredients combination or prep method.

But I do like the people here at ALC (only one exception) and really love reading the research digging they go out and do on the internet and the articles/studies they share on that sub-forum share. So I'll sty a member here. But this forum and LCN are the only two I go to anymore for LC chat and I only post recipes at LCN now.

BTW, switching to a different line of thinking, if you don't own a copy, you must consider this book seriously: The Flavor Bible by Page and Dornenberg https://www.netrition.com/cgi/goto_...=All%20Products

I found it has replaced my need to have ANY cookbooks in the house. Even my late brother, a professional chef (was Executive chef at Top of the Mark in San Francisco for some time) thought this was the best book on cooking he had ever seen.

Last edited by Buttoni : Thu, Oct-04-18 at 11:03.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 08:36

BF:

I think you are right about the glut of info, plus the fast pace of technology has sped our lives up so much that many just dont have attention spans for this stuff anymore. I admit that when I'm just looking for recipe ideas, I dont have patience for long form blogs and often irritatedly rapidly scroll down to get to the ingredients and instructions rather than reading the authors entire story of how they came about the recipe, what their kids and cat are doing at the moment...blah, blah, blah. But thats when I'm looking for recipes "in the moment", like "I have this, that and the other in the pantry and fridge I want to make dinner with tonight", but I have stuff to do otherwise that day and need to formulate a recipe and method in less than a half hour, decide on it and get back to chainsawing and splitting wood, etc..

I dont go to food message boards and forums for that instant need. I'm here for the bigger picture and specific interests like low carb and smoking meat, etc.. and happy, in fact enjoy taking the time to go deep. I think there are a lot of people who do go to food forums looking for that fast result...and in these days of everyone on their phone, it increases that "drive-by" readership. I hate using my phone for browsing the internet, so I get that, but I do on occasion. Many people these days dont even use computers and do everything through that little phone screen...and often while juggling other stuff like jobs, kids...even while eating lunch. Those folks have little patience with long diatribes...much like me when trying to decide on a meal plan in a half hour so I can get back to my chores for the day.

The Flavor Bible. I bought an E-version of it off of ebay. Am I seeing it correctly that it's really not a book of recipes...thats its more a book of food ingredients and the other foods and ingredients that pair well? Or did I get ripped off? There are dishes mentioned such as:

Orange and Basil Soup, Alpine Strawberry Compote, and Mascarpone Mousse
—Dominique and Cindy Duby, Wild Sweets (Vancouver)

But no recipe. Should I be seeing recipes?

I see a lot of quotes from chefs (skimming through it) but no actual recipes
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 08:20
Patience Personified

Yes, that book is about flavor pairings and is totally generated by professional chefs. There are no recipes in the book. It's all about flavor being the driving force(s) behind true chef kitchen creations..............not recipes.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 09:15

BF:

Thanks for verifying that for me. I just wasn't sure if I had gotten the right thing....sounds like I did.