Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 10:36

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

C1REX, thanks for the info. I wonder why no pork.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: Wolfgang Lutz
Stats: 146/148/160 Male 160cm
BF:
Progress: 14%

He mentioned it can toxin our body if I remember correctly.
This is exactly opposite what dr. Kwasniewski says who is quite popular in Poland.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 20:38

BF:

Here is a new (to me) bit of information on the Kitavans.

Quote:
The circumference of the upper arm [mostly indicating muscle mass] was only negligibly smaller on Kitava [compared with Sweden], which indicates that there was no malnutrition. It is obvious from our investigations that lack of food is an unknown concept, and that the surplus of fruits and vegetables regularly rots or is eaten by dogs.

They have plenty of food to eat, aren't undernourished.

Last edited by Mirrorball : Tue, Feb-23-10 at 09:19.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 20:57

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobha
Soil difference was an example I gave yes. And there's very much evidence to suggest that iodine and magnesium deficiency are due to depletion in the soil. And deficiencies do give rise to problems.
And the Kitavans related observations are not a controlled study by any means. They are just that, observations.

Gary Taubes does not suggest most of the drastic oversimplifications and confident assertions that are made on this forum. If anything, his book tells us how complex our body is.

Do you mean this drastic oversimplification and confident assertion?: Carbohydrate drives insulin drives fat accumulation.
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 03:44

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Do you mean this drastic oversimplification and confident assertion?: Carbohydrate drives insulin drives fat accumulation.
Umm... not exactly. Thats one of the things Taubes does suggest.

Here are the 11 Critical Conclusions of Good Calories, Bad Calories:

1. Dietary fat, whether saturated or not, does not cause heart disease.
2. Carbohydrates do, because of their effect on the hormone insulin. The more easily-digestible and refined the carbohydrates and the more fructose they contain, the greater the effect on our health, weight, and well-being.
3. Sugars—sucrose (table sugar) and high fructose corn syrup specifically—are particularly harmful. The glucose in these sugars raises insulin levels; the fructose they contain overloads the liver.
4. Refined carbohydrates, starches, and sugars are also the most likely dietary causes of cancer, Alzheimer’s Disease, and the other common chronic diseases of modern times.
5. Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating and not sedentary behavior.
6. Consuming excess calories does not cause us to grow fatter any more than it causes a child to grow taller.
7. Exercise does not make us lose excess fat; it makes us hungry.
8. We get fat because of an imbalance—a disequilibrium—in the hormonal regulation of fat tissue and fat metabolism. More fat is stored in the fat tissue than is mobilized and used for fuel. We become leaner when the hormonal regulation of the fat tissue reverses this imbalance.
9. Insulin is the primary regulator of fat storage. When insulin levels are elevated, we stockpile calories as fat. When insulin levels fall, we release fat from our fat tissue and burn it for fuel.
10. By stimulating insulin secretion, carbohydrates make us fat and ultimately cause obesity. By driving fat accumulation, carbohydrates also increase hunger and decrease the amount of energy we expend in metabolism and physical activity.
11. The fewer carbohydrates we eat, the leaner we will be.

Nowhere here do I see a suggestion of an all meat diet or avoidance of all carbohydrates.
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 05:25

BF:

Quote:
Umm... not exactly. Thats one of the things Taubes does suggest.
Nowhere here do I see a suggestion of an all meat diet or avoidance of all carbohydrates.

That's an appeal to authority, i.e. "Taubes didn't say it so it's not valid". We can also argue that some of the assertions that Taubes made are indeed "drastic oversimplifications and confident assertions" such as this one "carbohydrate drives insulin drives fat accumulation". So you don"t actually disagree with the suggestion of an all meat diet because it's a "drastic oversimplification and confident assertion" since the authority you appeal to is also a "drastic oversimplification and confident assertion". In other words, you disagree with one whack job by appealing to another whack job. That doesn't work.

It's fine that you disagree, and you should if that's how you feel, but at least make an effort with your argument.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 05:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
Here is a new (for me) bit of information on the Kitavans.

The circumference of the upper arm [mostly indicating muscle mass] was only negligibly smaller on Kitava [compared with Sweden], which indicates that there was no malnutrition. It is obvious from our investigations that lack of food is an unknown concept, and that the surplus of fruits and vegetables regularly rots or is eaten by dogs.

They have plenty of food to eat, aren't undernourished.

Or it could indicate that they worked their upper arms more than the Swedish.
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 05:34

BF:

Quote:
I have. Thats what started me towards low carb.

But Taubes is very clear only about carbs, especially refined carbs. He specifically states that there is no evidence to conclusively say what should replace the carbs. I don't see him confidently assert that all fruits and vegetables are bad, or that meat is the only thing you should eat.

His evidence (and I know he details tons of it) is only re: how the diseases of civilization slowly begin showing up with the introduction of lots of sugar and refined flour.

The point about "refined and easily digestible" is that it allows a greater quantity to be eaten. It is this greater quantity that brings trouble. Accordingly, if we were able to digest the same quantity from raw fruits for example, then we'd suffer the same problems.
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 05:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
My point is that these other factors must be much more important than carbohydrate in the diet. If excess carbohydrate in the diet is bad, it can't be that bad, because even though the Kitavans eat a lot of it, they have none of our diseases. But when they leave Kitava and start eating our diet, they get ill. So these other factors aren't just confounders to be controlled for. They are the difference between health and disease for a Kitavan.

But do they actually digest it all? It's not merely how much you eat, it's how much you absorb. Imagine a balloon filled with sugar. Then eat it and see if the gastric juices can digest the rubber. If not, then the sugar is just going to pass with exactly zero effect. Fiber has the same effect because we can't digest it.
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 07:48

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
...Here are the 11 Critical Conclusions of Good Calories, Bad Calories...

I don't know for you, but for me, the most important message from Taubes is this one.

Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating and not sedentary behavior.

That truly changed my life.

Patrick
  #116   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 15:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating and not sedentary behavior.

It has convinced me to never restrict calories again. I eat as much as I want now, and so far I have lost 40 lb.
  #117   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 21:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
That's an appeal to authority, i.e. "Taubes didn't say it so it's not valid". We can also argue that some of the assertions that Taubes made are indeed "drastic oversimplifications and confident assertions" such as this one "carbohydrate drives insulin drives fat accumulation". So you don"t actually disagree with the suggestion of an all meat diet because it's a "drastic oversimplification and confident assertion" since the authority you appeal to is also a "drastic oversimplification and confident assertion". In other words, you disagree with one whack job by appealing to another whack job. That doesn't work.
I kind of guessed you would use the "oh you're using the argument from authority, so I don't need to counter your point" line ....
I notice that a lot of people don't hesitate to use "authority" themselves when it suits their argument, but immediately pretend to be horrified when others do the same. Its convenient, I agree.

Quite frankly, the thing I admire about Taubes is how he does not hold anything "sacred". He bothers only about the evidence, and nothing else.

Does the evidence tell you that carbs are harmful in excess, esp refined carbs ? Yes

Does the evidence tell you that a zero carb diet is a panacea for everything ? No

Does the evidence tell you that an all meat diet is eutopia ? No

Does the evidence tell you that sat fat does not appear to be as harmful as its portrayed to be ? Yes

Its very easy to go from a "Carbs are bad" fact to a lots of other tenets, when the evidence does not portray so. Lots of people do it. They claim protein is the best thing in the world or that you should eat only meat ... or some such thing. I really admire the fact that Taubes does not fall into that trap and start preaching his own set of sacred tenets.
  #118   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 22:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
I don't know for you, but for me, the most important message from Taubes is this one.

Patrick
Actually all those 11 evidence-suggested tenets are quite revolutionary ! The most important message from GCBC, IMO, is that he restricts the points to only those suggested by the evidence. And does not get carried away and suggest half a dozen more.
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 22:32

BF:

Quote:
I kind of guessed you would use the "oh you're using the argument from authority, so I don't need to counter your point" line ....
I notice that a lot of people don't hesitate to use "authority" themselves when it suits their argument, but immediately pretend to be horrified when others do the same. Its convenient, I agree.

Quite frankly, the thing I admire about Taubes is how he does not hold anything "sacred". He bothers only about the evidence, and nothing else.

Does the evidence tell you that carbs are harmful in excess, esp refined carbs ? Yes

Does the evidence tell you that a zero carb diet is a panacea for everything ? No

Does the evidence tell you that an all meat diet is eutopia ? No

Does the evidence tell you that sat fat does not appear to be as harmful as its portrayed to be ? Yes

Its very easy to go from a "Carbs are bad" fact to a lots of other tenets, when the evidence does not portray so. Lots of people do it. They claim protein is the best thing in the world or that you should eat only meat ... or some such thing. I really admire the fact that Taubes does not fall into that trap and start preaching his own set of sacred tenets.

It remains an appeal to authority. That I point it out is merely incidental. Don't blame me for what you said. But now you say that a "lot of people don't hesitate to use "authority" themselves when it suits their argument, but immediately pretend to be horrified when others do the same". Excuse me and with all due respect Shobha but who are you talking about here? As if vaguely pointing to "a lot of people" could justify doing the same thing they did. When you talk about "a lot of people", it's pointless and invites personal attacks if only because somebody, anybody, could take that personally and respond in kind.

I also admire Taubes for not holding anything sacred. That's because I hold nothing sacred either. Even Taubes' own words. But there's a problem here. You disagree with those who interpret Taubes' words differently than you, or those who come up with conclusions different from Taubes. Wait a minute, do you hold Taubes' words sacred? That would show an inconsistency with your argument.

Which evidence do you refer to? If the only evidence you refer to is Taubes' book, then in my opinion it's not enough. I personally use Taubes' book as part of a list of books.

What's that about utopia? As far as I know, only you said that. That would make it a straw man. About the zero carb diet being a panacea for everything, you're the only one who said that as well. Another straw man. But maybe you say that because of something else, that the cause of all ills is sugar. Well, is it? Again, nobody said that. Maybe it's a question of wording. "Panacea for everything", "cause of all ills", etc. When I speak of carbs, I talk about the diseases of civilization, not the cause of all ills. In that sense, removing carbs from the diet completely, i.e. a zero carb diet, is a panacea for the diseases of civilization.
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 22:38

BF:

Quote:
Actually all those 11 evidence-suggested tenets are quite revolutionary ! The most important message from GCBC, IMO, is that he restricts the points to only those suggested by the evidence. And does not get carried away and suggest half a dozen more.

Actually, even somebody like me can see that if he had concluded "an all meat diet seems the most reasonable solution to all those problems", then he would have been called a whack job outright and the book would have been ignored for what it was, a whack job's rantings. You don't sell the truth by making it look like fantasy. I mean, look at what you're doing right now in this very thread, you're calling people whack jobs and vilifying their rantings, although not in so many words. What would you have thought had Taubes concluded that about an all meat diet?

Taubes is a reasonable man, by all appearances. He certainly understands the effect of his words, i.e. the conclusions we will draw from his book. Come to think of it, did you ever ask him what he thought of an all meat diet? That would settle the matter right there.