Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 15:25

Plan: none
Stats: 185/185/155
BF:
Progress:
Default Vegetarian Low-Carb diet feasible?

Hi, I just discovered this site and this forum and have just joined. I need to lose some weight and am not having much luck. I'm considering the low-carb diet. Trouble is, I'm a vegetarian (not a vegan, I do eat dairy), and I fear that maybe I won't be able to find enough vegetarian foods to support such a diet. Anybody have any opinions or advice on this? Any vegetarians here? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 15:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Jericho!! If you go to the top and find all the forums, there IS a vegetarian forum that shoudl give you some information. It's under daily low-carb support/general low carb support.
Hope this helps.

Glenda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 12:00

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Jericho, check out Dr. Diana Schwarzbein's book-- The Schwarzbein Principle. It has a great section in the back of the book, almost step by step, how to do a great veg. lo-carb. She includes eggs and dairy, and soy. Looks nfairly easy to follow and should be effective. She's the only author I've seen w/ such an in-depth program for vegetarians.

YB
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 13:27

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Jericho and welcome!

I've been reading Schwarzbein and she does have a plan for vegetarians to reduce insulin levels, but she is emphatically against very low-carb programs like most of us here follow. Still, I think it might be a good option for you if you have tremendous patience. You should know, though, that her goal is not weight loss but improved health. She is against quick weight loss and says there is no healthy way to do it. Off the top of my head, one of her weight loss success stories was losing a pound a week and had another 1 1/2 years to go to lose 90 pounds. Another of her weight loss success stories started at (+-) 293 pounds and went down to (+-) 243 pounds. I don't remember any more successful examples in her book than those two. It's a good read anyway.

Another program that is designed to reduce insulin levels and is very compatible with vegetarian goals is Dr. Bob Arnot's Revolutionary Weight Loss Plan (or something like that). Again, like Schwarzbein, this is not a very low-carb plan. He focuses on the glycemic index of foods to reduce insulin levels and emphasizes high-fiber, lean protein sources like beans, lentils, and oatmeal. Most of us around here consider those foods high-carb rather than high-protein. But his plan works. I tried it for a week and lost 8 pounds. I just couldn't stand to face another bean.

Lastly, to answer your actual question, yes, I think you could do a very low-carb plan (like Atkins or PP) that is also vegetarian. ("Vegetarian" means many things to many people -- I know "vegetarians" who eat chicken but just not beef). Do you eat eggs? There are lots of things you can do with eggs. Cheese? That will diversify things (but watch out, don't go overboard on cheese). Nuts and peanut butter in small to moderate quantities are acceptable.

And there are LOTS of vegetarian products with a new consciousness of protein out there. The original Gardenburgers would be unacceptable but the new Gardenburgers (hambuger-style and flamegrilled-style) are very low-carb after subtracting the fiber. (We all subtract the fiber from total carb count). Morningstar brand Okara patties likewise are very low-carb after subtracting the fiber. (They taste like a cross between fish sticks and chicken patties). There are scores of similar products. Soy tempeh (but not other kinds of tempeh) is another good choice. You can make drinks from whey protein powder (or soy protein powder if you can stand it). It turns out that yogurt and kefir have much less carbohydrate than the labels say (use the search feature for more info).

Please let us know what you decide. We carnivores are not against you! Don't confine yourself to the vegetarian forum. We'd love to know what you decide and how it's going.

If you do decide to try it, let me know and I'll help you find more of those high-protein, low-carb products and give you ideas of what to do with them. I do some vegetarian meals myself.

Allison
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 14:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My sister recently began to follow a LC vegetarian WOE. She put a plan together for herself from basic LC principles and the Soya Zone by Barry Sears.

She eats eggs, a bit of cheese, a bean here and there and tofu products including soy milk. She is amazed that she is losing weight. She was not "fat" and is very fit. She does not overeat.

What she worked on first was eliminating all refined carbs, high fat dairy products and grains from her diet.

The energy she has now keeps her continuing. Even though she does intensive workouts, she has no problem with keeping up the pace.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 13:16

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Yes, I guess I should have included that Schwarzbein does not put you in ketosis and doeds not promise super-fast weight loss. She stresses healing a metabolism ruined by yo-yo lo-fat type dieting and over-exercising, getting off all stimulants, and taking all artificial sweeteners and 'bad' or damaged fats out of your system FOR SOME TIME , maybe, before you even begin to see results, in terms of weight loss.
However, if you read the journals of LisaF and some others, you'll see that weight loss WILL happen if you are not as resistant to loss (because of a damaged metabolism- like me).
And as Karen says her sister is doing-- Diana Schwarzbein includes cheese, other dairy, soy(liketofu and miso) and eggs.
I've been tempted to try it myself-- it looks that healthy!

YB
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 279/259/155
BF:
Progress: 16%
Talking have to throw in my two cents worth

I just purchased the Insulin Resistant Diet and it seems to be the best of both worlds. It is low carb BUT not excessively so. You can very easily be a vegetarian on this program and it seems to make sense. There is a little in the book about vegetarian choices. But I have also been in contact with the Wellness Clinic in Spokane Washington, where Dr. Hart is (who wrote the book) and they have been very encouraging about doing this program as a vegetarian. Boca products were a good choice I'm told, along with beans, cheese, eggs, fatfree, sugarfree yogurt. Many of the soy products are good choices, just limit your carbs to 30 grams at a time along with at least 14 grams of protein. Any way, blessings to all.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 22:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thin For Good (Fred Pescatore, a former Atkins staffer) has a chapter with a very structured vegetarian diet. It strictly limits bread and pasta and fruit; the protein is from eggs, cheese and legumes.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 14:03

Plan: CALP
Stats: 270/224/160
BF:
Progress: 42%

Yes! It is possible to do a low carb diet and be a vegetarian
I am living proof. I started the CALP WOE since January 12th. I have actually lost 25 lbs as of today.
I think I really am a carb addict and have always easily gained weight if I ate more than one meal a day. I have been a vegetarian since age 9 and have relied on my friend "bread" as the extra in my meals.
I know that people say to lose only 1-2 lbs a week but I am here to say I am eating BETTER than I did before much healthier and I am not hungry.
I have been "thinner" twice in my life and that was when I ate about 1 1/2 meals a day. I didn't know that if I added protein or low carb veggies I would keep the weight off and have 3 meals. After reading CALP, I thought this plan is for me!
No more cravings or being hungry after I had eaten. The only time I notice if I "overcarb" in my reward meal. I could never do Atkins because of my eating style but CALP has been GREAT for me. I also found carb solution bars and I use them for breakfast. This has helped incredibly as eggs aren't always what I would want. Unfortunately, there is glycerin or gelatin (can't remember which one) in the bar. It is the first thing that I have continued to use even knowing that. I try so hard in my life but feel that until I can find an non animal based alternative I will just use the bars.
If I can be of any assistance - PLEASE let me know!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 13:10
Registered Member

BF:
Question

I"m sorry but I don't know what CALP WOE is. Sounds like a good program but I don't know it. Please educate us SIMPLYME. I'm new around here and don't know all the programs. But am vegetarian seeking low carb options.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 14:54

BF:
Talking

Grrrr.... I responded yesterday and somehow it didn't make it up here! SOoooo sorry for the delay.

CALP stands for Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Plan. You can check out more about the diet at www.carbohydrateaddicts.com

There is a quiz on there to determine if you are a carb addict. Guess what? I am!

WOE = Way of Eating
WOL = Way of Life

The Hellers address vegetarians in the book in have recipes in their cookbook. Of course I have made my own modifications to my own diet instead of really starting with whole new taste buds.

As I mentioned, the low carb bars have helped me tremendously!
The reward meal keeps me going knowing that I truly can eat anything I want just one time a day.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in anyway.

LOW CARB VEGGIES UNITE!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 16:16
Registered Member

BF:

you can actually have a reward meal, once a day. And you are losing weight? Thanks for the info, can't wait to check it out.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 17:57

BF:

YEP! I eat carbs everyday and are losing quite a bit of weight. I just eat them only once a day within that 60 minutes balancing them with protein and low carb veggie. I enjoy them too much to never have them again but it does make me think about I REALLY want to eat and use my meal wisely. The best thing is no more cravings. I am not someone who ate large portions ever but I would eat through out the day because I was never full for long. As well even if I ate very small portions but each meal was carb I would GAIN so easily. It is amazing how just keeping it to one time a day keeps my buddy w/o cravings and losing weight.

I will say if I totally overcarb during reward meal and 2 hours later I get hungry I eat straight cheese and the craving goes away.
I purposely keep the reward meal at dinner because I know that when I am most tired that I can just have what I want vs. the stress of figuring a meal out. (I do that better earlier in the day) On weekends sometimes I will change it to a late lunch if it works with our plans. Eating is very social in our family and so feeling that I can enjoy 1 meal a day with them or with friends and family is worth 2 meals of not caring and just eating what I need to, to fuel my body.
Looking forward to hear what you think of the plan!
S
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:32
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

SimplyMe! you have really motivated me, I ordered the book (program) and the Low Carb cook book yesterday. I'm going to start right away. I don't find out til next week some time if I am diabetic but need to eat this way anyway because I KNOW I"m carb addicted. I hope to do really well so my insulin resistant daughter will join me. Thanks for your help and blessings on your new eating way of life!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 18:53

BF:

YEAH!!!! Let me know how it goes : )
I hope it works for you and your daughter. Please let me know if I can help you with any questions. I definetely recomend those bars too.
I know it is a lot of info right now but just keep asking!

HAPPY FRIDAY! I lost another pound yesterday. -28.