Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/285.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default struggling with a surprising trigger tonight

so I'm trying to post instead of giving in. It is a beautiful warm evening, and I'm longing to sit outside with my summer evening treat of a glass of peach wine or vodka and lemonade. I guess it's situational. It's really tempting me right!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 20:40

Stats: 184.4/184.4/145 Female 5 4 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

YNot I always seem to have some trigger Im fighting off...Tonight grand kids went to MacDonalds....you are so worth the fight to get to your goal...enjoy your surrounding...another member I read changed the evening treat to an evening exercise walk, bike ride...
I hope that helps...Loretta
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 07:17

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I have found that cold sparkling seltzer with no artificial sweeteners, just the natural flavors variety, in flavors such as mixed berry or coconut and lime, really can help me dodge such impulses.

I also love a really good cold oolong or other interesting tea.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 10:20
Registered Member

Stats: 308/285.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

eh- nothing else would have satisfied me I'm afraid, so instead of sitting outside I kept busy doing something else. Guess I'll be dealing with that a bit this summer.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 10:48
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Sorry to hear about your temptation, YNot! You did terrific by doing something else to squash that demon!

Even as long as I've been doing this, Imma still plagued w/ them too. I have a boat load of strategies to stop myself from eating/drinking off plan...

Keep up the good work and wishing you much success on your journey!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 12:11

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

More power to you!! With you in this challenge...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 18:18
Registered Member

Stats: 187/181/150 Female 5' 9''
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've been drinking vodka the entire time since starting Atkins. It hasn't hampered my loss. I don't know exactly what plan you're on, and I am not urging you to stray.
However, there are zero carbs in vodka.. you could use lemon crystal light to mix.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 19:18

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

I'd love to hear some of the things you and others on the forum do to avoid carbie treats. Pickles and gum help, but besides keeping busy sometimes I really struggle.

[QUOTE=Just Jo]
Even as long as I've been doing this, Imma still plagued w/ them too. I have a boat load of strategies to stop myself from eating/drinking off plan...
[QUOTE=Just Jo]
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-17, 07:54

Plan: Keto
Stats: 284.6/239.0/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Great job not giving in!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-17, 09:27

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I've deleted my original answer because I meant well but really don't think it will be helpful for you. It was mainly a list of finger foods and drink. I'm going to defer to what Jo wrote below.

Last edited by barb712 : Fri, Jun-23-17 at 14:31.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-17, 10:02

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

sugar free jello cups are a guick snack when you need something cold and sweet
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-17, 13:44
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwloser
I'd love to hear some of the things you and others on the forum do to avoid carbie treats. Pickles and gum help, but besides keeping busy sometimes I really struggle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Here you go, slwloser:

My Strategies to Combat Temptations/Cravings:
1) Go weigh myself

2) Look at my 29 Sept 2014 pic of size 2 me in my “Fat Jo” size 26 jeans (on my cell phone if I am NOT home and need motivation/inspiration ~ it’s also in my pic gallery here)

3) Look at my May 2013 picture that truly had me shaking my head going: “Holy Hannah, Jo, You’re a HELL of a LOT of woman there!” I guess I never really “saw” myself before that for some strange reason! (Denial of course!!)

4) Go to my closet and look at “Fat Jo’s” size 26 jeans and compare them to my size 1s!

5) Remember all the great looking clothes I have in my closet to wear and how terrific I look in them. Well, I think I do, especially if you compare me now to what I looked like as “Fat Jo”

6) Remember how AWFUL it was going clothes shopping as “Fat Jo” ~ I swore NEVER to step foot EVER again in the PLUS size areas of clothing stores!

7) Remember how being “Fat Jo” made me feel! How I was miserable being so FAT and had extremely low self-esteem. I hated myself for not being able to CONTROL the one thing that I had complete CONTROL over = MY EATING!!

8) Distract myself with something else ~ read, play guitar, exercise, take a walk or go take a nap if that’s feasible.

9) Go someplace else where food is not involved.

10) Remember what my long-term goals are and what I want to achieve ~ MAINTENANCE FOREVER, baby!

11) Remember what I have already accomplished and what I would LOSE if I REGAINED!

12) Remember that I am now a “normal” size person and I feel amazing and proud of what I have achieved!

13) Ask myself if eating those horribly addictive, insidiously toxic, poisonous killer carb-age foods are worth the battle I will have with “Fat Jo” (that self-destructive carb-addicted selfish FAT bitch who destroys my good emotional & physical health, self-love and self-esteem)!

14) Tell myself that I am WORTH IT to stay OP 100% every single blessed day! Honestly, I cheat all BY myself and I cheat MYSELF! No one else really cares if I eat carbs or not!

15) Ask myself if I am truly hungry or has “Fat Jo” become vocal because she’s been triggered by some non-hunger cue (food commercials on TV, etc)?

If it’s nowhere near my dinner time or I’ve already eaten, ~ I know it’s just a mind thing and not “true” hunger.

So I ignore her destructive FAT ass.

16) When “Fat Jo” tries to entice me to eat OFF PLAN foods, I tell HER, we’ll eat THAT tomorrow!

Funny how a good night’s sleep and all SANITY returns! She’s not very bright and forgets what I promised her by the morning because she only LIVES in the moment!

17) My last time-tested strategy: If "she" becomes more problematic and none of my other strategies are working, I’ll then eat something perfectly OP and “Feed the Need”!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-17, 21:26
Registered Member

Stats: 182/165/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Here you go, slwloser:

1) Go weigh myself

2) Look at my 29 Sept 2014 pic of size 2 me in my “Fat Jo” size 26 jeans (on my cell phone if I am NOT home and need motivation/inspiration ~ it’s also in my pic gallery here)

3) Look at my May 2013 picture that truly had me shaking my head going: “Holy Hannah, Jo, You’re a HELL of a LOT of woman there!” I guess I never really “saw” myself before that for some strange reason! (Denial of course!!)

4) Go to my closet and look at “Fat Jo’s” size 26 jeans and compare them to my size 1s!

5) Remember all the great looking clothes I have in my closet to wear and how terrific I look in them. Well, I think I do, especially if you compare me now to what I looked like as “Fat Jo”

6) Remember how AWFUL it was going clothes shopping as “Fat Jo” ~ I swore NEVER to step foot EVER again in the PLUS size areas of clothing stores!

7) Remember how being “Fat Jo” made me feel! How I was miserable being so FAT and had extremely low self-esteem. I hated myself for not being able to CONTROL the one thing that I had complete CONTROL over = MY EATING!!

8) Distract myself with something else ~ read, play guitar, exercise, take a walk or go take a nap if that’s feasible.

10) Remember what my long-term goals are and what I want to achieve ~ MAINTENANCE FOREVER, baby!

11) Remember what I have already accomplished and what I would LOSE if I REGAINED!

12) Remember that I am now a “normal” size person and I feel amazing and proud of what I have achieved!

13) Ask myself if eating those horribly addictive, insidiously toxic, poisonous killer carb-age foods are worth the battle I will have with “Fat Jo” (that self-destructive carb-addicted selfish FAT bitch who destroys my good emotional & physical health, self-love and self-esteem)!

14) Tell myself that I am WORTH IT to stay OP 100% every single blessed day! Honestly, I cheat all BY myself and I cheat MYSELF! No one else really cares if I eat carbs or not!

15) Ask myself if I am truly hungry or has “Fat Jo” become vocal because she’s been triggered by some non-hunger cue (food commercials on TV, etc)?

If it’s nowhere near my dinner time or I’ve already eaten, ~ I know it’s just a mind thing and not “true” hunger.

16) When “Fat Jo” tries to entice me to eat OFF PLAN foods, I tell HER, we’ll eat THAT tomorrow!

Funny how a good night’s sleep and all SANITY returns! She’s not very bright and forgets what I promised her by the morning because she only LIVES in the moment!

17) My last time-tested strategy: If "she" becomes more problematic and none of my other strategies are working, I’ll then eat something perfectly OP and “Feed the Need”!

Omigosh! That's amazing!!!!! You're my hero, Jo!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-17, 09:22

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thanks, Just Jo!! You and I are a lot alike. I too struggled with low self esteem, self worth and felt sad about my weight. Your tips and others will help me stick it out when times get tough.
Quote:
Here you go, slwloser:

1) Go weigh myself

#15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-17, 11:16
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~micha~
Omigosh! That's amazing!!!!! You're my hero, Jo!!!!
Aww shucks, thanks...but you gotta realize I "played at" Atkins for 35 years before I totally committed once and for all... so many many re-starts in my past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwloser
Thanks, Just Jo!! You and I are a lot alike. I too struggled with low self esteem, self worth and felt sad about my weight. Your tips and others will help me stick it out when times get tough.
You're welcome!

Wishing both of you much success on your journeys to better HEALTH!