Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%
Default Atkins vs. LCHF - Does it matter ?

My plan was to go Atkins. I'm on Induction, under 20 carbs a day, really only a week in. Just ramping up the process (buying my own groceries, making the meals, etc.) I haven't read about low carb eating for quite a few years now.

I see the Atkins Diet has many progeny now. !

ie. Still reduce carbs but ... Fat > Protein = LCHF (Low Carb High Fat).
ie. Still reduce the carbs but do 2 "induction-like days" a week 5:2 IF diet.
ie. <insert YALCD here> (Yet Another Low Carb Diet).

I'm interested in LCHF. Dr. Fung's insulin ideas really speak to me.

What's a chubby middle aged guy to do ?

Does it matter ?

Any Atkins-type eaters try a more LCHF approach ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 16:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/224.4/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLC.MD

Does it matter ?

Any Atkins-type eaters try a more LCHF approach ?

I've done Atkins several times, it always worked. This go around I've been more into LCHF with intermittent fasting thrown in. It also works. I think the key is to do your homework on what the food choices are, how regimented you want to be, and pick the plan that suits your body and tastes the best.

In other words, the plan you love is the one you stick with, the one you struggle with gets dropped. So pick the plan you can see yourself enjoying! Anyway, that's how I've always viewed it.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 16:24
Registered Member

Default Looks like Keto is a LCHF diet with protein restriction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabux
This go around I've been more into LCHF with intermittent fasting thrown in.

When did this go round start ?
How's it going ?
Is there a LCHF forum here ?

Quote:
low carb high-fat diet (LCHF) or a keto diet.

A ketogenic diet is similar to other strict low-carb diets, like the Atkins diet or LCHF (low carb, high fat). These diets often end up being ketogenic more or less by accident. The main difference between strict LCHF and keto is that protein is restricted in the latter.

source: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Last edited by VLC.MD : Wed, Jun-07-17 at 16:31.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 18:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/224.4/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

I started LCHF with intermittent fasting on Valentines day of this year (Feb 14) or within a day of it one way or the other. I've lost a little over 50 pounds since then. That breaks down to a little over 3 pounds per week over the roughly 16 weeks I've been doing this. It's actually better than that but I stopped for a couple of weeks because of a medical thing so lost progress there. It works really well and fast, at least if you start at over 300 pounds like I did.

I don't know of any forums here that are dedicated to LCHF but a good place to start is in the thread on Dr. Jason Fung. That's not LCHF exclusively, he advocates LCHF plus intermittent fasting. But it has lots of good info. That's here: Jason Fung and Obesity Code Thread

Another good resource is youtube, there's a guy named Butter Bob Briggs who lost 140 pounds or so on LCHF made a good series of videos on it that aren't especially technical but lay out the science in layman's terms. He also is a fasting advocate buy most oh his material is on LCHF. You can search youtube for "butter makes your pants fall off", that's the first video he did. After that he has videos that talk about the various findings of the science in specific areas, all with his easygoing way. He mostly just gives you the results, not the details. But he tells you where the work was done and by who so if you want to follow up on the work he describes, for example the pioneering work on insulin resistance by Dr. Joseph Kraft, now you know who to look up.

If you prefer a less folksy, entertaining version and instead want cold facts, then there's also a really long series of videos from the deposition of Professor Tim Noakes who was being persecuted for advocating LCHF in South Africa and he put on a several day defense of it with all the science which they filmed and put on youtube. He won his case by the way. It takes hours to watch it all but really good, like a master class in LCHF. Here's a link to a playlist of all 74 videos: Tim Noakes Trial Testimony

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 02:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I'll add the YALCD...that would be WheatBelly, because Dr Davis has conveniently already explained How his diet is and is not Just Like Atkins. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/...-atkins-better/

Two issues Dr Atkins did not address in his early books are food-quality (artificial sweeteners, soybean oil, etc.) and adding back grains in later phases. Dr Westman, whose clinical trials are based on the Atkins protocol, continues that plan. Just keep the carbs below 20g, a Ketogenic diet, until at goal. LCHF And WB remove questionable products but add others not available when Atkins wrote his first book.
I don't think it matters much, especially when you don't have much weight to lose nor health issues like diabetes. Many following "Atkins" are already LCHF. When I started Atkins, I already was eating a "clean diet" for other health reasons so maybe it was LCHF, but adding IF allowed me to moderate protein further. You could stick with a 20g carb limit for two weeks so you quickly get into fat-burning, reduce carb cravings and then adjust the minor details from there.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-08-17 at 03:55.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 11:20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabux
I started LCHF with intermittent fasting on Valentines day of this year (Feb 14) or within a day of it one way or the other. I've lost a little over 50 pounds since then.

Amazing !
Great job.

Quote:
on Dr. Jason Fung. That's not LCHF exclusively, he advocates LCHF plus intermittent fasting.

I'm just getting the details of Dr. Fung. Love his insulin ideas.

Quote:
Another good resource is youtube, there's a guy named Butter Bob Briggs who lost 140 pounds or so on LCHF made

Nice. will check it out.

Quote:
Good luck!

Thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 11:24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Just keep the carbs below 20g, a Ketogenic diet, until at goal. LCHF And WB remove questionable products but add others not available when Atkins wrote his first book.

Well said.

Quote:
but adding IF allowed me to moderate protein further.

I'm going to try fasting.

Quote:
You could stick with a 20g carb limit for two weeks so you quickly get into fat-burning, reduce carb cravings and then adjust the minor details from there.

That's where I am headed.
I'm already in ketosis, urine-wise.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 11:26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I'll add the YALCD...

Is LCHF different enough to warrant ....
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477408
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 14:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Is LCHF different enough to warrant ....
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477408

This forum is basically a low carb forum. Hey, that's why it's called "Active Low-Carber Forums." But seriously, there are variations, and I think they're all covered here. Yes, it's an older format, but I find it extremely useful now that I'm used to its organization, and I know how to find things. The best part of this forum are the people who are active here. We have a good time exchanging information with lots of knowledge shared. We are always respectful to different ideas, and that's key for me. My quest is to continue learning about nutrition and to optimize my WOE based on new research and the N=1 findings that are posted here frequently regarding personal experiences we have with our nutrition journeys. Since there is no one dietary approach that is suitable for everyone, the diverse experiences and ideas here are informative.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 15:06
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
This forum is basically a low carb forum. Hey, that's why it's called "Active Low-Carber Forums." But seriously, there are variations, and I think they're all covered here. Yes, it's an older format, but I find it extremely useful now that I'm used to its organization, and I know how to find things. The best part of this forum are the people who are active here. We have a good time exchanging information with lots of knowledge shared. We are always respectful to different ideas, and that's key for me. My quest is to continue learning about nutrition and to optimize my WOE based on new research and the N=1 findings that are posted here frequently regarding personal experiences we have with our nutrition journeys. Since there is no one dietary approach that is suitable for everyone, the diverse experiences and ideas here are informative.
Rob speaks to what makes this forum so valuable. I've been using Atkins to control my weight since 1972, along with all the variations. Atkins is a good starting point because it offers the structure which is a comfort for many beginners.

Breaking plateaus is a favorite topic here, and I broke a 6-year one when I used the Fung protocol in 2015. I broke another in 2016 by omitting dairy, eggs and nuts. You'll see people referring to their n=1 (The subject size of the "experiment" is 1, meaning you.) We share our personal dietary experiments. Maybe ours will help somebody else.

Almost every variation on the LC theme here works for somebody, and every BODY is different.

So my diet = Atkins, LCHF, CAD, IF, KETO.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 15:08

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I think many of us following ketogenic diets spend the most time here in the "Atkins" and "Dr Bernstein" (Fung thread) forums because they are the most active. Protein Power & Neanderthin used to be more active and I check them and others out whenever there are new posts.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-17, 18:43

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi VLC.MD
Welcome to the Forum!
I always like this thread and maybe you will too, it's a good read!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-17, 23:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
I'm aware of the broken search, and the Google search.

As well, I did say FORUM.

Zero Mostel, I presume . . . . . ?