Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 14:31

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default Halo Ice Cream?

Does anyone know anything about this product? it is mostly sweetened with sugar alcohols, though it DOES contain 4 grams of sugars.
For many of the servings, a 1/2 cup serving contains 4 grams sugars, 5 grams alcohol sugars, and 5 grams dietary fiber for a total of 14 grams total carbs/4 grams net carbs.

https://www.halotop.com/flavors/

My partner has been so so very good but he REALLY misses ice cream. He is borderline type II diabetic; on this WOE his numbers are all safely in the normal range for normal non-diabetics. He is still trying to lose a bit more weight.... and we are both keeping our daily net carbs at 20 - 30 a day right now. But could he have this once in a great while (we'd only buy one at a time) as a special treat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: Partially dietitian
Stats: 161.4/158.8/148 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I'm on what this site considers "semi" low carb, so having an occasional serving of Halo Top ice cream is no big deal. I have only purchased the strawberry and lemon flavors. The strawberry was pretty tasty considering, but the lemon tastes a little medicinal in my opinion. I have heard reviews of other flavors and they weren't all that good. So my suggestion is if your partner likes strawberry ice cream, give it a try if he thinks he has room for it in his diet on occasion.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 15:20

BF:

Thx for the flavor info. We may be constricted by what is available in my rural area.... but I know our store carries at least some flavors.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 16:57

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

All the favors of Halo Top that I have tried have been good. Not as good as homemade, but good.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 19:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The only thing I might worry about are the sugar alcohols. They can really do a number on your digestive system. Ahem. Do not ask how I know.

But what's more concerning is that they act just like sugar on some people's BGs. So, if you DO add this to your life, be sure to check his BGs before and after he eats it.

I hate to say this, though. If he's doing better on whatever level of carbs he's eating, then, really, the best way to get over the craving for ice cream or whatever is NOT to eat it, but to eat something entirely different that seems indulgent, but is still very low carb.

I don't know what that is for him. For me, it's bacon. I was smelling fresh baked bread all afternoon on Friday, because I bought some for Husband and his parents to have for breakfast on Sunday. I haven't missed bread in a long time. But I used to bake it, so...

So I ate a couple of pieces of bacon that I warmed up in the microwave, and I was fine.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 11:33

BF:

MickiSue -- yeah, I agree with you.... but his thinking is a little different. He's still like an alcoholic who thinks he can have just one drink once a week. We'll see, I suppose....

We have a blood glucose meter, so I guess we'll see if he can handle something like 1/2 cup once a week.... without spiking bg OR developing an appetite for more. (Kind of like me with wine -- I am not having any trouble only having a glass once every couple of weeks when we go out somewhere.) So he can hold me to my wine limit of a glass or two every couple of weeks, and I can (try to) hold him to his ice cream limit.

A little treat like that might keep him motivated -- but i AM worried about the slippery slope. He likes to think that "moderation" will work and I keep saying "look where it's gotten you thus far." Hopefully, we can look at the evidence (of blood glucose and act accordingly). The difference between us is that I LOVE this WOE and the control it has given me, and I still feel that, even though he likes the food we've been eating and loves his 57 (so far) pound weight loss, in a perfect world, he wants ice cream.

When I tried to have wine at home, I had some every day and it interfered with ongoing weight loss. So I had to banish it from the house and only have a glass on rare occasions. He may be the same with ice cream. I guess we will try and see.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 16:14

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

Blender + frozen blueberries + heavy whipping cream + cinnamon = yummy ice-cream-like substance with no added sugars
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 18:14

Plan: don't know!
Stats: 150/150/115
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Blender + frozen blueberries + heavy whipping cream + cinnamon = yummy ice-cream-like substance with no added sugars

I've done something similar - frozen berries, chocolate syrup, a little walden farms marshmallow dip....excellent.
But I still go for the store-bought stuff, too Need to try Halo Top again (been a few years - wasn't impressed early on, but it could have changed!), I've mostly done Wink and Arctic Zero.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 19:22
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I've read somewhere that there are two main cravings:
Salty/crunchy
Sweet/creamy

My biggest dietary downfall has always been ice cream, but as I've aged my digestive system has become less tolerant of milk. Commercial ice creams give me stomach cramps. HWC and sour cream don't effect me the same way. For some reason the "heft" of sour cream is more satisfying for me. I buy frozen fruit (without sugar added) and keep it on hand for when my cravings threaten me. My ice cream substitute is sour cream with AS and fruit, plus a bit of some tangy sugar-free syrup. Of course in berry season, fresh ones are a delight.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 00:16

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%