Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 00:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 410/320/260 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Worthwhile low carb replacement products

I am sure there is existing thread so if so point me in that direction.

I'm looking on Amazon and seeing a lot of replacement products (bread, pasta, biscuits, muffins, etc).

Anything you strongly recommend that is outside of the more core low carb foods?

I know, I know.....stick to natural foods. Got it. But yeah anyways, anything good to try?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 03:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Being sneaky putting your question here but I found it. you know we would tell you NOT to eat products. JUst read back through all these threads on this product forum to find some of the Whole Foods substitute products that may be OK.
The Trader Joe's thread has cauliflower rice to substitute for rice, parsnip chips as chip subs. There is a new seed-based WholeGrain crispbread that has only 7g.
Speaking of chips, Costco, Target, and other places carry Baked Cheese Crisps called Whisps. A few go a long way, they are pure cheese. http://cellowhisps.com. You could try the Shirataki noodles as a pasta substitute (rinse them many times!) I would doubt the carb counts on any bread or muffin products. One company offers true wheat-free products but check the carb counts. https://www.wheatfreemarket.com

The Atkins bars are problematic for weight loss, stops it for many, however, Dr Westman has said more of his obese patients can do OK by adding the shakes as a sweet snack. So a pre-made chocolate shake (I would make a chocolate protein powder shake, currently using the Quest brand, now in Walmart) may fit into your diet without impacting weight loss. I have used the Quest Bars when traveling, better quality ingredients than the Atkins bars, but they are a rare treat for me. If I ate one everyday, I would continue to be addicted to sweets.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-11-16 at 04:18.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 10:08

Plan: don't know!
Stats: 150/150/115
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love Thinslim Foods products....been using those for years. I also like the Krunchy Melts meringues. I eat quite a bit of Arctic Zero frozen dessert, but they've upped their sugar, so I'm thinking of downing my intake (it's not affected me, just would prefer to keep the added sugars low). Good luck!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-16, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: Partially dietitian
Stats: 161.4/158.8/148 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 19%

My hubby recently brought home a spaghetti squash without even knowing what it was. I used that in place of spaghetti. Also, I really really like "zucchini fettuccine". That's even yummier than spaghetti squash in my book, especially with a Bolognese sauce.

Mashed rutabaga is only about 1/3 the carbs as mashed potatoes and tastes great with red meats. About 10 net carbs per serving. That's not bad if you are on a "not extremely" low carb diet. I guess you can do something similar with cauliflower for even fewer carbs.

There are low carb breads, but I don't think they taste that great. If you plan to splurge on "bready" stuff think as thin as possible (like very thin crust pizza). Again, this may only work if you are on a "not extremely" low carb diet. The one I've been on gives me 60 g of carbs max per day, but I was also a bit careful with limited excess fats too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-16, 10:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

good advice to use veggies to swamp things:

pasta:
zuchinni lasagna noodles
zoodles or spaghetti squash
broccoli slaw
shirataki (this is a product not a veg!)

bread:
flaxmeal or almond flour or mix
use a lettuce "bun"
"oopsies"

pizza:
use a hollowed portebello for pizza base and then add sauce/cheese/toppings and bake until bubbling (350)
pizza quiche recipe in forum is amazing!

potatoes:
jicama fries
radish home fries
mashed cauli

products:
unsweetened almond or cashew milk
NSA coconut milk icecream (So Delicous)
kale chips (rythm)
seaweed snacks (annie chung's)
nuts and seeds- i particularily love Pumpkin Seedz brand (cinnamon, maple, italian flavored), as well as emerald nuts (siracha cashews!!!)
flax meal and almond flour to bake (I like bob's red mill)
diet soda
sf jello cups
low sugar jerky, epic bars (VT farms are my favorite)
quest bars for emergencies/ travel
all natural nut butter (Justin's makes single serve puches if portions are an issue)
moon cheese (spendy, but great if you want a "chip" fix)
flackers- I find these at whole foods
crunchmame- these are bags of dry roasted edamame. i love the chive/onion ones. i find them in organic/natural foods aisle

i would just avoid ALL the fake breads, cookies, etc....instead bake flax bread instead of buying "low carb bread", bake the south beach peanut butter cookies (just google- it is basically just pb/ an egg/splenda and vanilla) instead of buying "low carb cookies", etc......
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-16, 06:23

How are you doing, svdude?
This all prepared for you frozen mashed cauliflower in three flavors, is now stocked in our Walmarts. http://hanoverfoods.com/blog/produc...ower-homestyle/
make a big crockpot of a beef or other protein dish, and reheat both for a super quick meal.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-16, 02:13
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Down to 359. Hit a patch where I was stuck around 363 but I worked in some intermittent fasting and got the train rolling agin. Also removed some things from my diet.

Hoping to be below 350 by the end of the new year.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-16, 04:32

Congrats on your huge loss and breaking through 360. Plan ahead through the holidays, think of all the great food you can eat while how to avoid the goodies, and you can be at 350 by New Years.

You asked for products...do you have any interest in meal replacements? I was looking at a company for another thread and read they have just introduced a new Ketogenic meal replacement. Everyone is jumping on the Keto bandwagon, I'd prefer food to chew but here it is for your consideration. https://eas.com/keto

Ps, I occasionally used the EAS AdvantEdge shake in the past, but haven't tried this. Did not see this in Walmart...likely at GNC or similar store.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Nov-24-16 at 04:37.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-16, 03:27
Registered Member

BF:

thanks for the recommendation. I seem to be doing pretty good when I do skip a meal. For me if I'm just really busy or have a time where my sleeping schedule might be a bit different, it's pretty easy to do.

350 I think should be obtainable. I've been really conservative with goals so I don't get discouraged along the way. My goal for one year was to lose 60 lbs. I am right on 4 months in and am down 47.5 LBS. I think 100 is a natural goal but we'll see. 350 by Jan would definitely keep me on pace.