Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/143/127 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

RomaGirl,
Thanks for your fast answer! If my project of lc meeting in Israel puts some chair on its bones, I don't care to meet in the North if you don't like to travel. I suggested Azrieli station, because it is a central rail station accessible to all.
Anyway tomorrow is Sunday and my "vacation' is over. I enjoyed it in some way but I prefer to be in the lc wagon and lose more weight. I'm going slowly and the results are for us also not to gain weight.
How many eggs a week do you guys eating? I do two. I don't dare more especially that in the last year my total cholesterol has started to be higher. My doctor wants me to take medicines but I refuse. I know that having cholesterol in the blood is a genetic thing more that a food related one, but I don't think it's wise to act as if it is not related at all. In the last months, I also tried to cut on fat, not as I was eating so much of it, but especially in cheese, I tried to use the lighter ones. But then, did you notice they seem to have more carbs? I think it's because they replace the fat by polydextrins of all kinds.
Tomottow is a new day.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 02:46

Stats: 277/260/220 Female 171 cm
BF:
Progress: 30%

Ya'el, you forgot to say where the heck Azrieli-station is. Anyway, don't count on me for any meetings.

You say you're on Atkins, right? So why are you so scared of eating eggs (the perfect food) and fat?

Only trans-fats and poly-unsaturated fats are unhealthy and egg-eating makes no difference to your cholesterol-levels which aren't all that important anyway.

On Atkins they reorganize themselves, at least they did for me.

Whatever you do, DON'T go on cholesterol meds! Read Atkins again or check out the many threads here on the site. There's loads of info around.

Saturated fat is NOT the enemy, it makes you feel satisfied and you eat less naturally!

I love eggs and eat at least 3-4 each day! I also eat goose (kosher?), turkey, chicken and beef (not all together! ) and salmon, tuna and sardines. I take fish-oil capsules and a multi-vitamine.

I also eat more veg than I ever did before going LC.

Have a nice week!
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 13:03
Registered Member

BF:

At last I'm home! I had a good lc day, but mostly because I was so busy at work! I had 2 eggs for breakfast, the usual. I also had some of this new dish cheese with eggplant salad. I brought to work frozen green beans and chicken breast pieces and with the microwave made a meal out of it. One sf yogurt, two cheese spread. Gym. And now at home herring, half a tomato, some cheese and a yogurt.
We'll see tomorrow. I don't count carbs. I just watch them!
I understand I should (or could) eat more eggs instead of cheese.
Tomorrow is an other day.
Yael
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 00:35
Registered Member

Plan: 09/18/06 Low Carb/Atkins
Stats: 245/180/135 Female 5'2"
BF:BMI 33%
Progress: 59%

Try online to get your Flax flour. Go to search engine and put Flax products and see if comes up. I think that is where I found it?? Judy
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 05:56

Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

Great Idea! I am comming just tell me when and I'll be there. It would be nice to meet face to face and talk about things in person and meet new people.
Eggs are great - I have 2 in the morning and 1 hard boiled as a snack (I always keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge) and I add them to tuna saled and such. Sometimes at work we get Shakshuka plenty of eggs there. I understand that there is something in eggs that helps with high LDL cholesterol. The total cholesterol is not as important as the ratio between HDL and LDL. If the HDL is relatively high in its range and the LDL is low in its range you are O.K. and you don't have to worry about your cholesterol.
Of course fow fat cheese has more carbs - that is how they make it low fat. We have been brain washed to think that fat is bad for you but if you read the scientific evidence in the Atkins books or on the sites you will see that this is not true.

Yael - 2 yogurts a day might be a lot since I have never found a really low carb one. If you have found one I would like to know about it. I have cottege cheese (3 carbs in the tub) or sometimes sour cream 15% fat (6.2 carbs). I also snack on triangle Gvina mutechet (0.025 carbs each) and yellow gilboah cheese.

Anybody know how many carbs in Dalorit? Or at least what it is called in english so I can look it up?
lehitraot
Marnina
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 06:10
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

i've found that since yoplait added fibre to their 0% fat yoghurts, i can eat them no problem - even two a day - without the carbs making me crave/hungry or anything. one yoghurt has 60 cals, 7g carbs and 4g fibre, and don't forget they're also made from bio yoghurt, and there's the whole theory that the bacteria in bio yoghurts actually eat up the carbs and convert them to lactic acid, so there's actually less carbs in there than it says on the label. i don't know how true it is; i only know that while i am staying very strictly low carb; ie protein, fat and veggies, i can still eat a couple yoghurts a day as snacks and they don't give me problems. the peirot ya'ar and mango vepassiflora flavours are my favourites

i can't remember what dalorit is in english, sorry.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 19:02

Stats: 275/181/175 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi everyone in Israel. I am not Israeli but I lived there for over 5 years. I met my wife, who is Israeli, while there and we live in Massachusetts now. We've been back to visit a couple of times since moving here in 1993. Most recently was last February. My wife is from Kibbutz En Harod Meuchad and I lived/worked there. We also spent some time on a young kibbutz (Shizafone now it's Neot Smadar). We both started Atkins 4 years ago. She mostly did it to support me but has continued along with me. When we went back in February my wife's sister, who lives in Yoqneam, could not believe how much weight I lost and she has since started on Atkins. My wife and her sister talk on Skype every Saturday and she has lost about 10 kilos in a couple of months. I was surprised about the amount of sugar free products in Israel. I even brought back some liquid, concentrated, sucrazite. It was really cheap compared to the liquid splenda here that is hard to find. I had a bit of a problem with the elite spreadable sugar free chocolate. That is dangerous stuff and tough on the beten.

Anyway, Marnina, dalorit is called butternut squash in English. It is a bit more carby than other squashes. I think it's about 10 carbs per 1/2 cup.

I am going to put a link here of the photos from our trip last February if anyone is interested:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/Heap93/Israel/
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 03:01

Stats: 277/260/220 Female 171 cm
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi, Focus!

Nice pics. You lost a LOT of weight and you're looking good!

IMO you count as an honorary Israeli!

Thanks for the info.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 08:45
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Focus,
You definitively count for us as an Israeli! And you are more than welcome to attend the get together that I try to organize here, next month. You will be the guests of honor.
Yael
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 04:07

Hello!
How about a Marzipan cake for Rosh Hashanah?
My sister, Shoshi, made a wonderful L/C cake. Give it a try:
7 eggs
5 tablespoons of “nitzat HaDuvdevan” soy flour (38 carbs for 100 gr. 5 spoons is about 50 gr = 19 carbs)
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup oil
15 ml liquid diatip by sucrazit
1 tablespoon almond flavor

separate the eggs
whip the egg whites till stiff and add sweetener
continue whipping and fold in the egg yokes and everything else.
Put in oven 175C for 30-45 min

You can use 2 spoons of coco powder or coffee instead of the almond.

Shana Tova!
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 23:41

Anybody know how to make coco taste like Shoko?
I put a half of a teaspoon in a mug, add sweetener hot water and milk, but it just is not chocolate.
How was your fast? I found it to be much easyer since L/Cing. No cravings, anrd the weather was wonderful.
Have a happy sukkot
Marnina
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-07, 10:28

Default mibulbelet - confused

Hi everybody!
I would like to know if I am allowed Elite sugerless chocolate?
Its ingredients are Maltitol, milk powder,cocoa butter, cocoa mass, emulsifiers.
It say per 100 gram:
carbs - polyols 47gr
other carbs 12 gr
(calories 459 protiens 7gr fats 31 gr)
If I understand properly alcohol sugers such as maltitol don't have an inpact like suger (the main inpact is smelly gas) so the carbs are not counted. Is this correct?
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-07, 10:58
Registered Member

BF:
Wink

As far as I'm concerned, you're allowed! I also use it, generally on Shabat, with a hot cup of tea. I don't eat more than a "stripe" ("pas") fearing the sugar alcohols.
And, by the way, I would like to know, at last, what is the minimum diturbing dose a day of these.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 11:35

Hi Evelne !
Thanks for answering I was begaining to think I was alone here! Posting in the desert. I don't have an answer for you. I tried contacting the company. From what I understand it isnt realy absorbed, probably the reason for the gas. Anyway, I don't eat it on Shabbat. I get enough carbs on Shabbat!
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 12:15

Stats: 275/181/175 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 94%

A few "cubiot" aren't going to hurt you but beware that a whole bar is going to give you a big belegan.

When we came back from Israel last year I brought with me a couple of jars of the spreadable sugar free chocolate from elite. It's very good but really hard to eat in moderation.

I forget who made it but there was quite a bit of sugar free halva and that was fantastic with a cup of coffee.