Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 08:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/257/185
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Low Carb and Trying to Conceive??

I have heard all about how you can safely stay on your low carb diet while pregnant by upping your carb intake. But I was wondering if anyone has any info on staying low carb and loosing weight while trying to get pregnant??

I'm trying now, but I was wondering if I should have any concerns about this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 14:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I know of at least a couple of members who were low carbing while trying to get pregnant and who are still following a modified low carb program while pregnant. I know Atkins does not recommend trying to loose weight while pregnant or nursing, but following the maintainance form of the plan during that time should be fine. The main thing you need to be concerned about while trying to conceive is getting enough vitamins. I would suggest starting to take a prenatal vitamin now even before you get pregnant. That will insure that you are getting what you need for a healthy early pregnancy since most women are pregnant for at least a couple of weeks before they know for sure that they are. I'd also suggest checking out the PCOS forum on the board...you'll probably find a lot of information there as well. Good luck! We tried for 8 years to start a family, then couldn't stop...my two daughters are 11 months apart!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 19:26
Registered Member

Stats: 280/257/185
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks so much for the advise! I knew someone here could help me! I'll start my pre-natals too!!

11 months apart?? Wow! That's a handful!! Congratualtions!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 14:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yup...they were a handful at first (sometimes still are! ), but it's much better now that they are 6 and 7 (both in first grade). I'd also recommend getting as close to goal as you can before getting pregnant. Pregnancy is much easier and healthier when you aren't carrying around a lot of extra weight along with that developing baby inside you and not being a lot overweight also makes it a lot less likely that you will have problems during your pregnancy. I was fortunate to have very easy pregnancies two out of the three times (we lost the first one at 17 weeks), but a lot of women aren't as lucky as I was. Good luck again!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 09:04
Registered Member

Stats: 202.5/185/145
BF:??
Progress: 30%
Default Trying to get pregnant too

I don't want to give up trying to be pregnant but I know i am overweight too. Argghhhh. My plan so far is stay in the weight loss phase as long as I can and when I know I am pregnant jump into Lifetime Maintanace... but I wonder how well that will work. I am watching very carefully for pregnancy signs and keeping track of my cycle as best as I can. ( I tend to be irregular) But since I gained 60 lbs while pregnant and than had a miscarriage I feel that I can't let my carbs get out of control again. I was on the Carb Addicts diet before I got pregnant.... so i know that low carb works. If you have found any more info please let me know!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 10:23

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

My wife and I recently(she is 12 weeks along now) conceived while both of us were low carbing. I was at my goal and she was near hers. She was treated for endometriosis about a year ago and we were able to conceive on her second cycle after coming off the hormone treatment that follows the laparoscope procedure. Since becoming pregnant she has not been able to low-carb due to becoming queasy anytime she even thinks of eating meat. Her morning sickness is getting better know so hopefully she can start eating more meat again soon. Even though she has not been low-carbing she has not gained too much so far and she hopes to keep her weight within the doctors guidelines during the pregnancy.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 11:41

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Wow! Was I ever happy to see this thread this morning! I too am back on low-carbing because I've recently put back on about 25 pounds (since meeting and marrying my husband). We are also trying to conceive, and though I had already been told that the Maintenance level of Atkins' was fine while pregnant and/or nursing, I had no idea if I should be "really" low-carb while trying to get there.

I'm also finding it really hard to stay on track since going off the Pill, but that could have more to do with other stress factors (such as work).

I'm taking my multi-vitamin, E, C, plus my Folic Acid and CLA (both highly recommended for pre-pregnancy health).

Sugarfree1, I hope you are successful soon! Wouldn't that just be the best thing ever??
I can't wait...