Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233.5/213.5/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question Atkins and Trying to Conceive question

Hello,
My husband and I are currently trying to conceive. I have been doing Atkins since Jan 04 and someone just posted on another board I visit that women trying to get PG shouldn't be on Atkins because of the lack of Folic Acid that is found in many carbs.

This kind of freaked me out, I don't want to stop doing Atkins, but I also want to have a healthy baby when I do get pregnant......I will call my doctor soon to ask about this, but does anyone have any knowledge of this subject? Or perhaps is there a forum on this site that addresses this?

PS...I have been taking a multivitamin with Folic Acid (400mg) in it along with all the veggies I eat (broccoli, spinach....which I thought had lots of Folic Acid?)

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:47

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I think as long as you are supplementing you are ok.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:50

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I think it's always good to talk to your doctor about things like that although I would think you are getting plenty if you are also taking it in vitamin form.

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Boy... I sure read the title of this one wrong, I thought you were trying to conceive a question.

I'm not trying to conceive and I take folic acid supplements. I might get enough in my diet most days eating veggies the way I do (spinach and asparagus and brocolli good sources), but I take the supplment to make sure I get it.

I'd also suggest supplementing with Choline too or making sure you eat lots of egg yolks which are rich in it because they're finding that Moms who do produce children with above average brains. At least among rats.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:04

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Check w/ your dr. or other resource---I'm pretty sure that 400 mg is low. You might want to double it. Any woman in her childbearing years should take a folic acid supplement just in case.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/146.0/135 Female 64 in
BF:38.5/31/20
Progress: 62%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ight=folic+acid

There was a research topic posted on this not long ago.
I was interested in the topic. I copied from my previous post.

Quoted from Other Thread-
I take a pre-natal vitamin, but I still find this topic interesting.
I was about to say that I am certain that I now have more folate in my diet than pre Atkins, to be sure I did some research and this is what I found...

What was most striking to me is that spinach and broccoli which I eat a lot of since beginning Atkins are much higher in Folic Acid than enriched products which the exception of 100% enriched cereal. Eggs have as much folic acid as a slice of bread, and I have certainly increased my egg consumption.
Even without the supplement it is likely that I reach the reccommend folate levels for women of child bearing age.

Table of Food Sources of Folate
Food Micrograms

Ready to eat cereal, fortified with 100% of the DV, 3/4 c 400 100
Beef liver, cooked, braised, 3 oz 185 45
Cowpeas (blackeyes), immature, cooked, boiled, 1/2 c 105 25
Breakfast cereals, fortified with 25% of the DV, 3/4 c 100 25
Spinach, frozen, cooked, boiled, 1/2 c 100 25
Great Northern beans, boiled, 1/2 c 90 20
Asparagus, boiled, 4 spears 85 20
Wheat germ, toasted, 1/4 c 80 20
Orange juice, chilled, includes concentrate, 3/4 c 70 20
Turnip Greens, frozen, cooked, boiled, 1/2 c 65 15
Vegetarian baked beans, canned, 1 c 60 15
Spinach, raw, 1 c 60 15
Green peas, boiled, 1/2 c 50 15
Broccoli, chopped, frozen, cooked, 1/2 c 50 15
Egg noodles, cooked, enriched, 1/2 c 50 15
Rice, white, long-grain, parboiled, cooked, enriched, 1/2 c 45 10
Avocado, raw, all varieties, sliced, 1/2 c sliced 45 10
Peanuts, all types, dry roasted, 1 oz 40 10
Lettuce, Romaine, shredded, 1/2 c 40 10
Tomato Juice, canned, 6 oz 35 10
Orange, all commercial varieties, fresh, 1 small 30 8
Bread, white, enriched, 1 slice 25 6
Egg, whole, raw, fresh, 1 large 25 6
Cantaloupe, raw, 1/4 medium 25 6
Papaya, raw, 1/2 c cubes 25 6
Banana, raw, 1 medium 20 6
Broccoli, raw, 1 spear (about 5 inches long) 20 6
Lettuce, iceberg, shredded, 1/2 c 15 4
Bread, whole wheat, 1 slice 15 4

* DV = Daily Value. DVs are reference numbers based on the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). They were developed to help consumers determine if a food contains a lot or a little of a specific nutrient. The DV for folic acid is 400 micrograms (mcg). The percent DV (%DV) listed on the nutrition facts panel of food labels tells adults what percentage of the DV is provided by one serving. Percent DVs are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Foods that provide lower percentages of the DV also contribute to a healthful diet.

This fact sheet was developed by the Clinical Nutrition Service, Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, MD, in conjunction with the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS) in the Office of the Director of NIH

BTW- 400 mg is not low, it is 100% of the Daily Reccommended for Women of Child Bearing Age. If you are taking a prenatal you are getting 100%, any veggies you eat are giving you more!

Good Luck with your conception efforts!

Happy LCing,

#7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:37

Stats: 233.5/213.5/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi all....
I actually just talked to my doctor and they said Atkins is not a good diet for when you are trying to get pregnant or when you are pregnant.
So, it looks like I will be switching to a new diet. Everyone tells me to try Weight Watchers. I'm a little nervous to start adding carbs, but hopefully if I up my exercise and water intake it will be ok.
Thanks for all your help the last few months, I'll definitely be back on low carb after I have a baby in the near future!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 10:28
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Many women find they have an easier time getting pregnant while on a low carb diet, especially if they have endo or PCOS.

Another thing to think about is weight. Heavier women have more estrogen in thier bodies as it is stored in fat cells. This can not only make it harder to concieve, but make for alot more complications in pregnancy. Working to a healthier weight before coming pregnant can mean a healthier baby and a healthier mommy. You don't have to be at goal, but even if you are 10 pounds lighter it can mean health benifits.

Just make sure to test for pregnancy as once you get pregnant it is important to move to the maitnanance phase of the plan, not be in induciton. There is a book out called "A Mom-toBe Does Atkins" which was written by one of the doctors at the Atkisn cliniuc who became prgnant with twins. There are also success stories on the atkins site, and some on here that involve women who do low carb while pregnant for a healthier baby. Just remember you only need about 300 more calories a day while pregnant, but a ton more nutrients and protien. So what is better a cup of broccoli and a piece of chicken, or a white bread samwich that has the same amount of calories, which has more nutrition? Also since you would be haivng maintanance level carbs that would involve alot more veggies, fruits, fresh dairy such as yogurt and occasional whole grains. That is much better then refined sugar and flour, any docot would tell you that even if they don't like LC diets.

Even when not trying to concieve, a good multivitamin is important while dieting. Since you are trying to have a baby, maybe find a prenatal vitamin that has no sugars or starches added. If you are going to a gyno already they might be able to help.

One word of warning though, many pregnant women who do LC do report one side effect. Realllllly big babies

Another important thing to remember, especially if you are getting pregnant, is not to take to heart every piece of advice you get. You will get tons from well meaning family and friends, some good and some silly. If you try to follow everything though all you'll do is create stress for yourself which is not good fo ryou or baby. Do what feels right for you. Follow what your doctor says, but if you don't agree with soemthing question it and research it, don't follow blindly. When well meaning people tell you to never look a cat in the eye while pregnant, or go bearfoot on cold floors, just smile and thank them. When they tell you not to rest or move much, just remember how important exercise is in all stages of life and again smile and nod. Maybe pick up Giam Yoga for pregnancy tapes to help in that area

Last edited by LadyBelle : Fri, Apr-23-04 at 10:34.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 10:31

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I wasn't trying to conceive, but I got pg last summer while on Atkins and didn't have any problems at all. I have a perfectly healthy 2-month-old now. I did go off of Atkins during the pregnancy but I'm back on trying to lose the baby weight. I would think you'd be fine as long as you're taking prenatal vitamins. My OB does Atkins and never had an issue with it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:27

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I am pregnant and have been doing Atkins up until just a couple weeks ago. My doctor was perfectly happy with my food intake at the maint. phase. So I say it can totally be done. I think some doctors get scared away by the "A" word where if you actually write down what you eat and show it to them they would tell you how fabulously healthy you are eating. I must mention that the only reason I have switched from Atkins is that I am vegetarian and trying to eliminate all soy from my diet which meant I had to add back more beans and grains so I felt for me South beach was more in line with current goals in terms of a way of life plan.(( I just wanted to make sure it was known it wasn't because atkins wasn't a healthy plan or one my doctor didn't approve of.))

Anyways goodluck with whatever you do but for some reason I just don't feel that you need to eat sugar, white flour, hydrogenated oils and nitrates for a healthy pregnancy and baby. I mean if you follow Atkins plan those are really the only things you are permanantly taking out of your diet. Any doctor that would argue that point is nuts.

Jenn