Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 14:03
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default The Anabolic Solution (book)

Quote:
I've been eating this way for 2 years now. It's been very easy for me because it appeals to my natural desires and reactions to food.

I still lose some size when cutting, but not nearly as much as before and I've never been able to add size while cutting no matter the diet or routine. I really don't see much difference between Metabolic and Anabolic Diets and you can glean most of the info you need off the Anabolic or Metabolic Diet web sites for free.-- fusionbb
Quote:
Have used this diet prior when he called it the Anabolic Diet in the 1990's. If you follow his guidelines, which he spells out for you, you will have success. Especially for those who are avid weightlifters - the results are great. -- amazon review
I have been trying this for 3-days-a-week. It's one or two meals-a-day -- just Rib-Eye steak (reverse-seared of course*), with Vital Farms butter and eggs. If it's a big steak I eat half and save the rest for lunch the next day. Great results if I stick to it!

It's a little pricey, to do of course, but I can get boneless rib-eye steak from the local meat market for $5 a pound. Likely not grass finished and probably from Mexico. One could sub chicken legs for steak for economy I would think? Four drumsticks is enough protein and fat for a day, but a bit short on total calories.

Vince Gironda did it 6 days-a-week for all his long life. He's a famous bodybuilder Arnold had trouble besting.

*Reverse Seared Steak: leave steak out several hours at room temperature between paper towels, you want it dry. Bake meat ~ 200*F for 40-60 min (depending on thickness) then pat dry and salt both sides with Kosher Salt. Sear in a crazy hot cast iron pan for 1 minute on a side to brown crust for a medium rare delicious and tender interior. This is the best way to prepare steak, if not eaten raw IMO

Note: If you can't stomach all the fat on a steak at once, save it to grease your skillet or frying pan. No 'steak sauce' needed here

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Aug-21-18 at 15:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 16:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

I've tried the reverse sear before when cooking inside in the winter, I'd go for about 40 minutes in a low temperature convection oven and then finish the steak in a hot pan. Worked great, and I had no idea it was called a reverse sear.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 02:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Does this Anabolic Solution have certain timing added? Fast before workout? Because there is a great deal of convergence around steak and eggs recently and the major difference I see is the eat when hungry vs. the bodybuilders who eat around their workout or IF for fixed periods like 16:8.
LeanGains finally published a book this week that summarizes what has been on Martin's website for years. Dr Shawn Baker's Carnivore Diet is everywhere, another version of the Zero Carbers. His Human Performance podcast had Kelly Hogan this week if any women who do no exercise want her zero carb story. Jordan Peterson and daughter getting much press. The Zeroing In on Health FB page exploding. And the simplest version...Dr Ted Naiman's eat only steak and eggs for two weeks...ketosis with optimal nutrition. (aka Naiman's steak and egg Axiom ) He Also has suggested eat only bacon and eggs, but beef does have a better nutrient score and for many people is more satiating, which creates fasting periods naturally, not by the clock.
It is a bit worrying when the extreme versions of a diet are popular, why the Zero Carb thread is in the LC War Zone...but I have to admit, beef and egg is filling though I add variety with canned salmon and chicken salads.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 13:21
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Does this Anabolic Solution have certain timing added? Fast before workout? Because there is a great deal of convergence around steak and eggs recently

It is a bit worrying when the extreme versions of a diet are popular, why the Zero Carb thread is in the LC War Zone...but I have to admit, beef and egg is filling though I add variety with canned salmon and chicken salads.
Found more details on it. When I was lifting I took protein, yeast and liver tablets. I know liver has some carbs, but it makes me feel stronger. Wild caught salmon is also a nutrient dense powerhouse, but not as satisfying as a rib eye with butter 'n eggs.

https://aspiringgentleman.com/nutri...-vince-gironda/
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 15:57
Grease is the word!

Default M.E.A.L. Diet -- I like it

Is an K.I.S.S. approach to your meal planning:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/m-e-l-di...-rapid-fat-loss

He gets a little loose with the veggies for my liking though probably O.K.
Taylor Lautner got ripped for his "Twilight" role on beef 'n sweet potatoes. You can't argue with success, but everyone is different.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 22:54

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
It is a bit worrying when the extreme versions of a diet are popular, why the Zero Carb thread is in the LC War Zone...

I think this happened a few years ago when a member was 0carbing and it had turned to the point of anorexia approaching 100lbs and still dropping with no end in sight and daily cheers to keep going until many others here became extremely alarmed.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 05:49
Grease is the word!

Yeah, I remember the meat&eggs thread and the "10 eggs 'a day" challenge. Tried M&E for awhile, but didn't see a clear advantage then, so tried IF to break my stall instead and got better results -- lost a stone in one Winter.

Theory is if your body fat gets too low your hunger will increase, so more fat is added to the diet else it can be unhealthful. This is one time when "listen to your body" makes sense. I'm not even below 10% BF yet. I doubt anyone on this forum will ever get down to 4% like a competitive bodybuilder. We're damaged goods once you gain it. My weight has increased over the Summer due to the heat, boredom and lack of activity outside.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/much-fat-eat-ketogenic-diet

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Aug-23-18 at 05:57.