Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-01, 17:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Sour Cream Banana Bread

Last night I tried the Sour Cream Banana Bread recipe from the most recent Lowcarbluxury Newsletter.

It called for 2.5 oz. of Gerber's Baby Banana food. Does anyone have any idea why a "real" banana couldn't be pureed? I read the ingredients on the baby food and it says there is modified starch tapioca and also sugar. Total carbs in the 4.5 oz. jar is 23 gram. To me a ripe banana always tastes sweeter than a green one. I'm wondering if that makes any difference in the carbs of bananas.

I would give this bread 8 out of 10. It was a nice change. It really stuck to the pan though if though I sprayed it good, so next time I'm going to do the alcan wrap thing.

[Edited by Sharon on 04-01-01 at 18:28]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-01, 22:04

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I think you have the wrong baby food bananas! If you get the "beginner" ones they don't have added starch or sugar.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 06:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Sour Cream Banana Cake

Your absolutlely correct Deirdre. I posted this info in regards to the three new quick breads found at the LC Luxury site newsletter for December on our e-groups LC Canada message board yesterday.
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...vol01-no05.html

The recipe calls for Gerber banana baby food and I used the Heinz with no starch or sugars added. I also added a 1/4 cup of walnuts and refrigerated it. At 3.5 carbs per slice it is a great substitute for a muffin in the morning. Hubby and I had a slice with whipped cream for our dessert last evening. I am going to try making the Eggnog Quick Bread and Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread today.

Bonnie

[Edited by Webmaster on 05-01-01 at 11:51]
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 07:02

BF:
Progress:
Default Banana Baby Food

Thanks ladies...I looked for banana baby food in two different groceries stores here this week. (It's been a few years since I had any in the house!). Zehrs is our major chain here and I read the labels on the 2 kinds of banana they had and they both had sugar and the tapioca in them. What I remembered starter foods didn't have additives if any. Thanks confirming what I was thinking.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-01, 00:23

BF:

I checked a couple of stores here for it today and all I found was the banana "dessert" too. Strange, I know they did have just bananas fairly recently. I'll have to check around more.

Gerber baby food isn't sold in Canada anymore - they were charged with price fixing a few years ago and aren't allowed to sell it here any more. All we have is Heinz and the Organic kind, which I think is made by Heinz!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-01, 20:55

BF:
Question

Can somebody please tell me exacty where the recipe for the banana bread is? Or, just post it here? I can't find it!! I finally found regular banana baby food at Loblaws. I'm sure a pureed banana would work just as well though.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-01, 06:24

BF:
Progress:
Default Recipe from LowcarbLuxury Newsletter

Banana Sour Cream Bread

1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup full-fat cream cheese
4 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup pourable (granulated) Splenda
2 teaspoons Brown Sugar Twin
1 3/4 cups almond flour
1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2.5 oz jar Gerber Banana Baby Food
1/4 cup sour cream
20 drops liquid sweetener
1 teaspoon banana flavor extract

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Cream butter, cream cheese pourable Splenda and Brown Sugar Twin well. Add eggs - one at a time - beating well after each. Set aside.

In separate large bowl, blend almond flour, Vital Wheat Gluten flour, baking powder, and salt.

In small bowl mix baby food, sour cream, liquid sweetener (I use liquid Splenda, but you can use Sweet N Low or Cyclamate sweetener if you like), and banana extract. Add to butter/cream cheese mixture and beat well.

Mix wet and dry ingredients with large spoon or mixer until fully incorporated. Pour into greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes (oven times may vary a bit.)

45 grams of carbs in entire recipe.
Makes 12 slices: 3.75 carbs per slice.

[optional:] Like a sugary topping? For an extra few grams for the loaf (almost doesn't change the amount per slice), sprinkle a bit of Diabetisweet over the top of the bread in its last 20 minutes of baking.

Walnuts or pecans can be added to this recipe as well. About 1/2 cup broken nut pieces added just before adding to loaf pan to bake works nicely.

Note: I used a small banana and pureed it myself, and also added a few pecans. The bread was really moist and had a lot of flavour.

#8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-01, 13:39

BF:

Thanks Sharon! I did find the recipe after I posted that message. It wasn't actually in the "recipe" section of the newsletter. I tried to delete my message but apparently it didn't work!

I have all the ingredients except the banana flavour extract! There's always something!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-01, 17:54

Stats: 216/166/160
BF:
Progress: 89%
Talking

I am going to try the recipe for the Banana Sour Cream Bread although I can't tell you how many bread recipes I have made in the hopes that they won't taste like something that you spit into the sink. Could someone please tell me where I find almond flour. I have found everything else but I have no idea where to look for almond flour. Your help would be appreciated.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-01, 18:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Thumbs up RE: Almond flour

Almond Flour is just finely ground almonds. If you have a food processer, just throw some in and presto!

Bonnie
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-01, 19:18

BF:
Progress:
Default Almond Flour

You can find it already ground in most "bulk" food sections...probably cheaper to make your own though. I continue to use a small banana when I make this...it is my favourite "bread" at the present.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-01, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Wink almond 'flour'

For instance, right next to the Whole Almonds, Blanched Almonds, Almond Slivers (and all the same price per 100g) in the bulk baking supplies at the Save-On/Overwaitea, is the Ground Almonds.

When baking with the stuff, I either use as is (already ground and very convenient) or grind it just a bit more in the food processor to get a finer texture. Use Pulse only or you *might* get Almond Butter.

#13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-01, 14:41

BF:
Default Sour Cream Banana Bread

Thanks everyone for your replies, I now know what almond flour is and where to find it. I just hope this bread tastes good, I have been so disappointed in the past with other recipes.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-01, 14:43

BF:
Thumbs up Sour Cream Banana Bread

I just wanted everyone to know that the Sour Cream Banana Bread is just wonderful!!!! I have been eating low carb for over a year and have tried so many different recipes for muffins/breads and they all tasted terrible so I thought I would try one more time and make the Banada Bread. It was to die for. I just want to thank Sharon for sharing it with us. So if you are not sure about making, let me set your mind at ease. You will like it.

Judie
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-01, 19:37

BF:
Progress:

I'm glad you liked it.....I have a loaf in my freezer right now... I sometimes make 2 and freeze one...so when I'm feeling lazy....I still have something low carb to bring out.... I like recipes I can freeze.

This weekend I made baked cheese cake in muffin cups and put different kinds of sugar free ED Smith Jam on the top....they were really good...even my kids love them...and they couldn't care less that they are "low carb". I used apricot jam, strawberry and blueberry!!