Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 03:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Default Does it take complicated routines and supplements or can you 'win' more simply?

Hi, I've come to ask the experts!
I'm getting a bit phased at the moment reading other people's journals and seeing what complicated routines they seem to use, ways of eating to reduce cortisol after workouts, supplements I've never heard of, couldn't get hold of and can't afford anyway. How do you find out about such stuff, I seem to fine out something else I'm not doing with everything I read.

Is this what everyone does and I'm just a bit slow on the uptake, or can it be done more simply?

I suppose by simple, I mean cardio and weights, multivits and maybe some extras like potassium and green tea. So, not that simple already?

What did you guys do?
Thanks, Jay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 05:13

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Complicated at first, simple as you go on

I know what you mean. It is complicated at first as you are learning a new way of eating and a new way of life. You do need to grasp the basics and figure out what works for you.

I was a bit obsessed for the first 2-3 months of my diet. Then it became easier as I knew what I had to avoid, the carb-addiction got less therefore the cravings etc were much less and I became better at making good choices.

I don't weigh and measure and count calories or supplements now. Just eat basic simple high protein food, multi-vitamin supplement daily and a whole range of others as and when.

Briefly, no it does not have to be complicated but it will "seem and feel" so until you get the hang of what works for you. I'd wait until I was at least half way to goal before relaxing.

Take a short break if you feel too phased out.
Take care,
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 08:16

Hi Fiona, I'm pretty obsessive by nature too, so its a great combination!
I wasn't really thinking of the day to day LC, what to eat etc, that's becoming pretty much second nature and I'm working out what suits me and what doesn't.
I was thinking of things like:
does phosphatidylserine really help, what about guggulipids, should I be eating slow release carbs after a workout for some insulin release to deal with cortisol (what cortisol and does it matter?), do I need to do anything about my low body temps, what's wrong with chromium picolinate now, will I really lose the fat without ECA stackers, why does intensive cardio make you lose muscle, and if it does, how am I supposed to get fit (enough for all day in the mountains).
See - some people are doing some or all of these, but its frying my brain.
So - can you succeed without them, or do you need to be trying them to reach goal weight?
Jay
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 09:59

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I'm with you Jay...I live down the street from Nat and I've been to her house and I've seen the pharmacy on her kitchen counter...it works for her!

It definitely doesn't work for me! As soon as I start adding complexity, things start to fall apart. Besides supplementing with some protein powder (mostly cause I like it and its easy) and managing (though rarely) to remember my multi-vitamins...I just eat whole foods and try to hit the gym for 3 weight training sessions a week and 2 cardios. I did follow the Body for Life program for a full challenge - it was fun and I learned a lot about what I'm capapble of - but the program is pretty simple and I ignored the entire proposed diet although I do eat many small meals a day anyway.

I have gotten to goal this way though I've regained recently due to life "stuff" unrelated to diet (although that went down the tubes for a few weeks).

Good luck!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 10:47

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I can't imagine a life spent obsessing on numbers--well, wait, no! I've had that life, and it's boring.

My trainer told me last year, "supplements result in one thing: expensive pee." I suspect he's right.

Also, everything I've read convinces me that we will balance out to a set-point weight that is pretty unchangeable and has much more to do with genetics than behavior. So why not just eat healthily, avoid processed foods (including sugar and flour), do exercise you love (even if that's only walking 20 minutes at lunch every day or playing frisbee with the kids), and be at peace with what results?

a 10% loss from your initial weight has been shown to result in health benefits for the overweight (but does nothing but maybe hurt the normal weight). But re-gaining any loss over and over again does us great damage. If the body adapts to behavioral changes to preserve a genetically pre-determined weight (and it does, particularly in women), and if overexercise will eventually wear out your body (and it will), why enslave yourself to what will be an unsustainable lifestyle?

I wish I would have understood those questions and their answers 20 years ago! I could have not moved around boxes with six different dress sizes every couple years for the past 20 years! And more importantly, I could have saved myself years of self-hatred and frustration. But I suppose when you're in your 20's and the culture is shouting all those "Get thin or else you won't get sex or status" messages at you, it's nearly impossible to hear the logical arguments. It's so much easier to look the truth in the face now that I'm middle-aged!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 13:12

Hi Lisa and Razzle, thanks for those wise words. It's good to know that you've been successful doing things more simply. I want to be able to chill about this, it was fun to 'obsess' a bit to start with, but now its taking up too much mental space. Because its being a bit slow, I keep winding myself up that I could be doing better if only I did...............
Wise words Razzle too about finding a way of life you can live and enjoy.
I'm lucky that I enjoy my exercise and now I understand the effects carbs, and the resulting blood sugar lows, were having on my increasingly insulin resistant body, I think I will head steadily back to my fit weight, which was always 9 - 9.5 stone (126 - 133 pounds).
As you say, there are some strong messages around about how acceptable you are if overweight and being a very impatient soul at the best of times, I always want instant results. I do, however, need to chill - I'll try hard, maybe this WOE will also teach me patience!
Thank you, both of you, for your help, Jay
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 06:28
Registered Member

Stats: 162/137/140
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Parsimony is Key for Me!

I guess I fall into the simplicity is always best camp.

The "sophisticated supplements" I use consist of a multivitamin (just the basics - NONE of those "energy herbs" or anything like that), and an occassional fiber supplement.

It works for me because I REALLY believe that I'm giving myself the nutrition I need from my food. I also have gained trust in my body to tell me what food I need to eat, and I now trust myself to listen.

I guess I'm one of those people that other "dieters" hate - I started Atkins mid-February of this year. I have never "cheated." I have not had a slice of bread nor a scoop of ice cream nor a class of milk since I started. I reached my goal weight in two months. I ran a triathlon. Now I very rarely exercise (too busy). Still, the weight is off, my body is trim and muscular, and I look better now than when I was 17!

But I failed at Weight Watchers. I failed at LA Weightloss. Go figure.

Cheers.