Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-13, 17:47
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyRusi
So, today was day 14 of Induction (so woo hoo i made it) the day isn't over but dinner is pretty much planned already and though i haven't yet posted it in the journal, it is under teh 20nc/day this is the food journal info i kept during induction. BTW i have lost 12lbs during induction (most i'm sure was water weight) and i'm happy about it just not "over joyed" it's a start at least. TRYING to follow Atkins new Revolution (not finished with the book yet).

Yes i did include nuts in my induction, and i know they aren't supposed to be allowed but they really filled me up and were a break from the routine. They were low in carb and contained good fats. (i hope i'm not just justifying it to myself) most people in this forum and others said the nuts would be fine. I know some people can't control the quantities with nuts but i put a 1/2 serving in each little sandwich baggie so it was easier to control the portion. Let me know if this is acceptable and if maybe now that i'm out of the 2 week induction i should change some things. (please note steak, lobster, duck... yeah that's not affordable, in addition no onions peppers or mushrooms *yuck* lol ) I plan to stay on the "induction" rules for at least another couple weeks MAYBE adding different foods but still keeping under 20nc to try and keep the weightloss boosted. I'm still getting tingling in my legs btw but i've only been taking the magnesium for 2 days (i increased to 250mg today). Input welcome. Today the mood is more lifted, but that could be the scale talkin' lol.

OK...good job! You lost more than the expected 10% of your total loss during Induction. Excelllent!
You are doing a great job!
and should continue to see good results...especially doing exercise.
While it doesn't promote weight loss per se, it does aid in weight loss when you are eating the way you are.
It is also a very good tool for maintaining weight loss....and I know that as I am a long time maintainer, not only a big 120 lb loser. The more muscle you build now will make it easier for you to get to your goal and maintain your loss.

Yes, I too have a mood lift when the scale tells me nice things.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-13, 20:27

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Wow, you are doing well, especially considering that 2 days ago (Wednesday) you reported you'd only lost 4 lbs. Hopefully, you are feeling a little more optimistic now? Good job!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 04:36

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Good job for getting through induction. I am sure you'll find foods that work for you!! There are lots of great low carb recipes on this forum.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 07:00

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I lost about 7-8 lbs on induction. You lost 12 lbs in two weeks, Kristy? Better than me. And they say men lose faster than women. I'm jealous. Congrats.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 07:58

Plan: Keto
Stats: 330/330/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

So as I am still rather new to correctly following a LC lifestyle (tried it when I was 15...mother bought me TONS of frankenfood) I really do not have a ton to input. However, I was wondering if you had any blood work done?

I was speaking with my PCP 2-3 days ago about the fact that I am following a LC diet, and that I have in the past been diagnosed with insulin resistance. Now, since I started LC (Dec 26, 2012) I was over joyed with my weight loss in the first 2 weeks, dropping an astounding 17 pounds (I have 150 to lose give or take). However, now that induction is mostly over I have noticed my weight loss seemingly grinding to a halt. I know part of this is due to my body freaking about the weight loss and retaining water, but I wonder if some of it is just me not losing weight.

So back to my original point, I spoke with my PCP about all of this and she ordered additional blood tests. According to what she told me if I am still insulin resistant then that could be slowing my weight loss and adding metphormin could push said weight loss up to the point I expect it to be at. So we are waiting to find out what that says.

I suppose my point is, if you feel that something is wrong maybe you should talk to a LC supportive Dr. and see if there might actually be an undiagnosed illness that is preventing you from seeing the numbers/inches drop the way that you want them to. You know your body better than anyone else.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 09:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Wow. The OP has gotten some great insight since yesterday.

This is an old thread and it may not have 100, but it does have at least 50 different induction friendly foods to choose from;

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...82&page=5&pp=30

If you're using DANDR--starting on page 124 begins the induction friendly lists and on that page alone I count at least 35 different foods in the protein list, 7 in the cheese list, 21 in the salad vegetable list, 35 in the vegetable list, 5 in the garnishes not including what's listed in fats, oils, and beverages--I think that hits about 100. It seems that YOU are limiting the choices, not the plan.

And yes, this diet, WOE, lifestyle--it doesn't matter what you call it--does eliminate or reduce one whole macronutrient group, i.e., carbohydrates--but you are under the misconception that this group is not replaced by anything--untrue (and this is where many people fail the plan) when LCing and reducing carbohydrate intake, the reduced carbohydrate intake is REPLACED WITH FAT. Many who have been on a calorie restriction/LF diet find it difficult to follow thru with this concept, But this concept--that of replacing carbohydrate with FAT is the basis of Atkins, The Ketogenic Diet, LCHF etc.
MYTH ALERT!!!! Atkins, LCHF, Ketogenic--these are NOT HIGH PROTEIN diets but ADEQUATE protein HIGH fat diets.

It takes more than a month to become fully keto adapted--if you have been on a calorie restricition, fat restricition it takes time for your body to produce the enzymes necessary to metabolize fats and proteins efficiently. Usually you can feel the switch over physically in the form of induction flu--for some it lasts a few days for others much longer--use the tips given to make yourself feel better.

In terms of calories--The beauty of LC (whichever plan you choose) is that once you get your insulin and blood sugars under control, you find that you're not always seeking the next meal or snack. It means that you begin to listen to "real" hunger cues, not hunger cues due to hormonal imbalances. Nor does Atkins give you license to gorge--the key is to eat to satifaction, not to busting For many who have broken metabolism, this may have to become a re-learned behavior. It takes time. Nowhere did Dr. Atkins ever say that calories don't count :

Quote:

Dr. Atkins New
Diet Revolution1992, 1999, 2002
p.143
“Although there is no needto count calories, they do matter.
Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expendthrough
exercise, thermogenesis, and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that
on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than in a low
fat/high carb dietso that there is a certain metabolic advantage to the
controlled carb approach. But understand that this doesnot give you a license to gorge.”
Dr. Atkins Super
Energy Diet
p.205
“If weight loss stops short of your ideal weight, even though you are
producing ketones. You must conclude that the quantities within the diet are too
great. The diet usually works best with just enough calories to stave off
hunger. Too many people misinterpret the instructions regarding the diet as “Eat Unrestrictedly.” When they do this they will still lose weight in the beginning, which will reinforce their assurance that no heed whatever need be paid to quantities. In most cases, this practice will lead to a stalemate part way to the desired goal”.
p.205
“`You may have to countcalories in addition to carbohydrate. I have never said that calories don’t count, because I know of course that they do. I say that carbohydrate counts more. If your case is especially difficult, you may have to count both.
For most people,restricting carbohydrates is all that is necessary. However, there is no question that a 1500 calories 10 gram diet will take more weight off, and more quickly than a 2000calorie-10 gram diet. So if you are having trouble losing you should cut down on your quantities, but not to the point where you where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger”
Dr. Atkins Diet
Revolution
p.275
“Q. Don’t calories play any role?
A.There’s no
question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged,then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and
don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric
intake.
If you can cut down
on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the
point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger.
I’m not saying that
calories don’t count, I’m saying that a low calorie diet is a second best

diet.”

LC is a metabolic advantage, not a magic wand, it's a much more satisfying way to lose weight and the health benefits by far out weigh the conventional wisdom. During my hardcore weight loss mode the conventional wisdom told me that I needed to eat less than 1200 calories a day--LC, my average calories per day were 1800. 600 calories makes a big difference--that's an entire meal. As I got closer to goal the calories dropped down to about 1600 but still nowhere near the less than 1200 as proposed by conventional wisdom. For maintaining aI probably stick to about 1700-1800 with more items from the higher rungs, but still eating the way I lost the weight to maintain the loss. What some of us have finally come to realize....you can NEVER go back to the old way you ate if you expect to keep it off for good. Sure, if you're in it to lose fat then it's a diet in the beginning, but if you're in it to keep the fat off then it becomes your lifestyle.

You've done well so far. Its really up to you if you feel that this diet, lifestyle, WOE is compatable to your life, your personal tastes, and your goals.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Sorry for the crappy formating--it did wierd things when I cut/pasted and quoted it--but you get the gist.

Last edited by cnmLisa : Sat, Jan-12-13 at 10:05.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 10:09
Every day is day one

BF:

Oh and BTW--I'm one of those people who lost NOTHING on induction and went on to achieve goal.

Induction is not the be-all-end-all of the plan. There are FOUR levels to the plan.

Just think where I would be if I did induction, lost nothing and quit. I'd still be 40-45 pounds heavier, wearing a 14-16, hungry all the time instead of maintain my loss for over 3 years.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 11:09

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I've heard the "magic wand" argument so many times. When somebody says "it's not a magic wand", what they're really saying is "I heard somebody said it was a magic wand, but I'm here to tell you what they said is not true: It's not a magic wand." Nobody ever said it was a magic wand, so stop saying it's not a magic wand as if somebody said it was. Please.

On the subject of counting calories. At the time, maybe Atkins himself didn't know about things like insulin-induced lipohypertrophy. It's a condition which cannot be reversed by diet alone. It's growth of fat tissue on top of just more fat inside fat cells. The extra cells are there to stay. You could cut total calories, but then you'd have to keep up with that cuz nothing will make those extra fat cells go away, except liposuction, and now a drug called Adipotide which can physically destroy fat cells.

And then there's things like infection, which lead to inflammation, which lead to insulin resistance, which lead to high insulin, which prevents low-carb from working as it should. Cutting calories won't fix the infection, or any other condition that is not directly related to calories or carbs.

I mean, if you think low-carb is not a magic wand, then I'm here to tell you that cutting calories is not a magic wand either.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: JUDDD / Fast 5
Stats: 293/163/163 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I mean, if you think low-carb is not a magic wand, then I'm here to tell you that cutting calories is not a magic wand either.

Counting carbs has been like a magic wand for me, but I have never been "normal", probably because of the PCOS coupled with insulin resistance.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 19:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251.9/179.8/160 Female 5'6 inches
BF:43%/40%/31%/28.8%
Progress: 78%

I am happy with my results and another friend of mine who hasn't seem me since before xmas actually said "oh girl have you lost weight?" today. So the mood is deff positive and i've come to terms with the food choices. Addatives like mayo oils etc i dont' consider that food, that's "seasonging" food is meat cheese and green veggies now, and i'm gonna stay on the induction limit of 20nc per day to keep my weightloss boosted, if the weightloss stops i'll consult with yee all wisen sages . Thanks for the possitive feedback and i did end my TOM and lost an additional lb from yesterday to today so technically 13lbs lost in induction(since when i posted that my last day of induction hadn't quite ended yet)! Wooot!
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 21:55
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
I've heard the "magic wand" argument so many times. When somebody says "it's
not a magic wand", what they're really saying is "I heard somebody said it was a magic wand, but I'm here to tell you what they said is not true: It's not a
magic wand." Nobody ever said it was a magic wand, so stop saying it's not a magic wand as if somebody said it was. Please.

Wow. Sorry this got you all in a knot. I'm sure "nobody" ever said it WAS a magic wand..it implies that just because you are LCing doesn't mean the fat magically disappears as if your fairy god mother waved her magic wand and tiddly bop, your thin (but I think you knew that ) Brace yourself because I'm sure you'll see it again somewhere.

Quote:
i did end my TOM and lost an additional lb from yesterday to today so technically 13lbs lost in induction(since when i posted that my last day of
induction hadn't quite ended yet)! Wooot!

Kristy--so glad you're feeling more optimistic and congrats on the loss.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-13, 09:44

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
When your blood sugar goes high, your pancreas pumps out insulin to bring it down to a level where it does does not damage your tissues. How does insulin do this? By converting the carbs to fat.

I think folks should avoid saying it like this, as I think there's some misunderstanding going on caused by the statement. Insulin doesn't convert carbs to fat, insulin pushes glucose across cell walls; be they muscle, organ, or adipose. What the cell does with the glucose, and how resistant it is to the signal determines the whether and where of fat and glycogen and blood sugar and metabolism...

Its why Cal-in Cal-out is true, but a lot more sneaky than its adherents (including me) often give it credit for. If you take 6 months, measure all the food in, all the energy out, and all the failed absorption along the way; the equation will balance against fat loss to the degree of accuracy that you can measure. But in that 6 months, all kinda of plateaus, gains, and crashes can occur, because you have 5-10 pounds of water and water bound glucose(glycogen) that your body can toss or gain at the slightest provocation, and the energy density of glycogen by weight is pretty lame. So you can be eating below expenditure, but accidentally get to much salt, and poof, you gain three pounds. You can drop carbs from your diet, and your body will blow off five pounds of glycogen like it was nothing, and then stall for a long while as glycogen is rebuilt slowly even in the presence of a deficit, so you're losing fat, gaining glycogen, and your weight is steady or maybe even slightly increasing.

Its very, very messy.

And the only thing that can un-mess it is LONG TERM measurement and patient, diligent adherence to whatever caloric deficit form works for you.

nb... depending on a hunger signal that depends on proper functioning of your hormone system, when you already know your body is not properly functioning is a key flaw in a LOT of diets. Eat to the numbers. Exercise to adjust the numbers where you are comfortable.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-13, 12:01

Plan: LC, HF, PP
Stats: 214/188.2/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

I think maybe the 'magic wand' came from the "whoosh fairy," remember her? I'm ready for a visit!!
~Chris
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 09:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201.2/195.2/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwff
nb... depending on a hunger signal that depends on proper functioning of your hormone system, when you already know your body is not properly functioning is a key flaw in a LOT of diets. Eat to the numbers. Exercise to adjust the numbers where you are comfortable.

I think this is very good advice. Often we are so messed up when it comes to food due to years of low-cal dieting and subsequent overeating, that we have no idea what hunger feels like anymore. And underfeeding your body cannot possibly be what Atkins et al mean by "eat until you are satisfied".
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 15:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
So you can be eating below expenditure, but accidentally get to much salt, and poof, you gain three pounds.

I find since I've upped my salt intake, the scale tends to lie less, the scale doesn't fluctuate as much. Although maybe that has more to do with salt intake being constant, rather than high.