Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question Help-where can I go to get technical ? answered about LCing???

I have posted questions here that tend to be on the technical side, hoping that someone might know the answer. I realize that we're all in this together with lots of stuff we're not able to answer!! So.....is there somewhere I can go (does Atkins have a way to be contacted - not him, although I guess I could try going to a medium [all in fun, everyone!!]), to get these questions answered?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:09
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

You can try submitting a question to their website:

http://atkinscenter.com
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:11

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

You can e-mail directly to the Atkins Center -- www.atkinscenter.com - they do respond, or they have an 800 number on their site you can call.

Vikki
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Short of actually visiting the Atkins Center in New York, have you had a chance to look through the Hot Links! sticky in Newbies Questions? There's a wealth of knowledge there and a lot of it is technical stuff.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:26

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Not to be snippy, but you could read the book.

I feel that Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution contains a fair amount of scientific explanation of what is going on... and when it doesn't, it has a bibliography of other sources you can check.

I've heard from others on this forum that the Protein Power book has more of a "technical" bent and is worth reading for anyone doing LC.. but I've not read it yet.

Barrett
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by HogarthNH
Not to be snippy, but you could read the book.

I feel that Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution contains a fair amount of scientific explanation of what is going on... and when it doesn't, it has a bibliography of other sources you can check.

I've heard from others on this forum that the Protein Power book has more of a "technical" bent and is worth reading for anyone doing LC.. but I've not read it yet.

Barrett

Well, that WAS snippy because you've no idea IF I've read the book. Though it's none of your beeswax, I HAVE read it and Protein Power. The questions I have are highly technical and are not answered in these books. Not quite understanding your snippiness with the concept that someone wants more information
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 17:00
Registered Member

Stats: 185/136/140 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 109%

you can e-mail the website, however, the website only contains faqs and mostly book type information. the folks who respond to questions from the website can only respond with information posted there. if you ask anything that's not there you will get this:

"We are not medically or nutritionally trained at this location and would be unable to provide any additional information regarding your subject. We obtain our information from the web site. If you need more personal attention, perhaps the following would be of interest -"..Yadda yadda yah..
"To arrange for TNC, PLEASE NOTE THAT TELEPHONE NUTRITIONAL COUNSELING (TNC) IS FOR THOSE WHO NEED HELP FOLLOWING ATKINS OR WITH OTHER NUTRITION-RELATED MATTERS, NOT FOR THOSE WITH MEDICAL PROBLEMS. Please call our New Patient Department, toll free, at 1-888-ATKINS-8. If you have a medical problem, please make an appointment to see one of our physicians at The Center by calling the toll free number above.

The cost for TNC is $155. To expedite making an appointment, please fill out the following forms: New Patient Questionnaire and Food Diary.

Mail to:
The Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine
152 East 55th Street
New York, N.Y. 10022
Attn: New Patients
"
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 06:14

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

He does give a good layperson's explaination for things in the book, but really just an overview. I would also love to understand some of the details of the why's of it. So fat takes a different metabolic path if it doesn't have carbs to bind to...why? There are a LOT of questions that aren't covered in the book, although I understand this newest version is much better about it than previous versions.

I don't know other than the suggestions you have already received, but I would guess as more and more studies are done and more people become interested in low carbing, that information will become available.

On a side note...I was channel surfing last night and stopped at C-Span where the surgeon general was talking about Obesity and Public Health or something like that. I sat there not believing my ears!!!! It was awful! I wanted to call him up and tell him he has it all wrong...lol.

L
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 10:55

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Louisa,

Much as I love the Atkins diet, I found much more detailed explanations of the biochemistry involved in Protein Power. I know you said you read PP, but have you reviewed the bibliography to see if anything there might provide the information you want? Or you could try emailing Michael Eades, who was the one who wrote the more technical part of their book.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 11:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karla
Louisa,

Much as I love the Atkins diet, I found much more detailed explanations of the biochemistry involved in Protein Power. I know you said you read PP, but have you reviewed the bibliography to see if anything there might provide the information you want? Or you could try emailing Michael Eades, who was the one who wrote the more technical part of their book.

Thanks Karla......isn't there a newer version of Protien Power out? I know that PP does explain things a little better. I'm one of those people who has been asking quesitons since the day I was born I have to know the "whys" because that helps me feel in control. If I don't know how and why something is happening, I can't control it to make it work best for me. Some of the info regarding an LC diet is critical if the plan is going to work....and much of it just isn't explained. So, onward and upward....and thanks again for everyone's help.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 20:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/178/150
BF:
Progress: 70%

Louisa,
What questions are you looking to have answered? I've called the atkins center a few times with questions and they were helpful; thier website on the other hand was and is useless in my opion.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 20:24

BF:

Well Louisa1, I've had several questions that I've posted here that can't seem to be answered (no blame on anyone---most of my questions are highly technical!!!). I'm surprised that there is a number at Adkins that you can call and get an actual human being to answer! I thought the phone number they listed was only for questions about their products....

I have sent them my main question (about insulin reactions to caffiene intake) and hopefully I'll hear back.

Thanks for your input!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 09:24

BF:

Louisa hope this helps to answer your question,,,
Drinking caffeine in large amounts as coffee over a short period of time has been shown to raise blood sugar. Caffeine does this by enhancing the effect of two hormones (adrenaline and glucagon). These two hormones release stored sugar from the liver resulting in high blood sugar.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 10:46

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Louisa1,

But would that apply to low carbers? As I understand it, the liver only stores two days' supply of glucose, so after two days on Induction that supply is gone, which is why the body goes into ketosis and burns stored fat instead of glucose.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 11:28

BF:

As long as you arent consuming large amounts of caffeine its fine as long as you continue to excercise. Exercise helps to stablize blood sugar after ingesting caffeine. even though we may be in ketosis excessive intake of caffeine will cause a low blood sugar reaction thus causing cravings for sweets. once we are into life time matinence caffeine in moderation is ok without severe repercussions such as stalls and cravings. everybody is different when it comes to caffiene levels so just like our ccl we have to play with it to find what we are able to tolerate. i find that when i start to eat low carb chocolate such as carb solutions chocolate, i go into a stall, not because of the sugar alcohol but because of the caffeine which is in the chocolate. i had the same prob when i started the diet because i was drinking regular coffee with cream and splenda, 2 cups a day; once i switched to decaf i within 3 days i was losing wieght again. why caffeine affects us like that while in ketosis, i cant actaually remember why, but i will ask my dr that this afternoon when i go see him.