Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 22:24

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default When do you guys weigh yourself?

I got into a debate with my boyfriend tonight about how much I actually weigh....here's the situation:

I weigh myself in the morning (with barely any clothes on that could possibly add additional pounds) when I first get up. If I happen to step on the scale in the evening I weigh more. After dinner tonight, he wanted to compare our weights and I wieghed three pounds more than this morning. I tried to tell him that I had not only had dinner in my stomach, but also 4 liters of H20 that I had chugged throughout the day. He thinks I'm lying to myself about what my real weight is. I think it is just the way you look at it

When do you guys weigh yourself /or when is the best time to weigh yourself? And do you think it's normal to gain 3 lbs in a day (I lose it by the next morning, and usually a bit more).

This scale thing is sick, but I'm addicted. I should probably just take my measurements, but like I said I'm addicted .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 22:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Scale Addict

I am forced to go to the garage every morning to weigh myself. Of course the forced is by my own private need to know what's going on. I'm half naked and sometimes naked so there's free shows for any peekers in my neighborhood

I don't weigh myself at night for the same reasons you don't - added weight. Tell your boyfriend to lay off - the morning is the best time to hit the scale in my opinion.

Shannon
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 23:06

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default scales

what would we obsess over if we didn't have scales? i do the same thing. when i went to the doctor's today, i was almost in an argument with the nurse about the extra pounds her scale put on me. why do i never weight less there?

anyway, another thing.... is your boyfriend on your side? it kinda sounds like he's not being supportive... just an observation. we are all here for you and believe me, we all do the same thing.
Brenda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 23:18

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins

Quote:
when i went to the doctor's today, i was almost in an argument with the nurse about the extra pounds her scale put on me. why do i never weight less there?

That is soooooo true...the scale at my dr's office is off by a couple of pounds too. They must have problems with their equipment

Thanks guys for your support...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 23:34

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

I usually weigh myself right in the morning when after going to the loo when i wake up. I also take my measurements on my waist.

Usually the morning is the most accurate time to weigh yourself. because dinner time weighing includes the water and food inside ur tummy unprocessed wadsoever....

and i do agree that whenever i go to the doctor, my weight will add 5 kg to my weight at home. I heard from a teacher during secondary school, that it could be different kinds of floorings that the scales sit on.....maybe we can weigh lesser on marble or concrete floor. yet on wooden floorings, we have another new weight.

*shrugs*

P.S. Why not ask your boyfriend to weigh in the morning too?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 07:02
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Scale

I too, was addicted to the scale weighing. I had to make a decision to weigh myself once a week and only on the same scale. Scales, like clocks, tend to show different numbers. Either its not balanced, or the surface, its on, is slanted.. who knows.
Don't pay attention to scales that aren't the ones you normally weigh on. The point is to notice the differences in weighings on the same scale. A two pound loss is a two pound loss.
Good luck to all of you... and for me too!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 07:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

I weigh in the mornings when I remember too I dont test the night time weight as I used to have a problem obsessing about the scales (Ok i had no problem obsessing, I did it very well). My boyfriend however weighs whenever he passes by the bathroom. He can weigh as much as 7 lbs more at night, but the next day it's gone.

Food for thought: A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs.

To cary on the idea of weight trends, has anyone noticed when they tend to lose weight? I've noticed a decided trend; I lose over thursday and Friday each week and maintain from Sat - Tuesday... Wed I fluctuate between the old low and the upcoming low.... it's actually quite comforting, I dont expect a loss now over the weekend or early in the week (So I usually dont go looking for one... it keeps me off the scales)

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 10:55
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Wow

I had no idea that I was drinking close to a gallon of water a day!
No wonder I weighed up to 6 pounds heavier at night!
Yeow!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 10:57

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

almost never

(yea, me! only took 35 years to learn it! lol ~ self)

When my current size jeans feel loose, I'll try on the size 10's. If they fit, I'll weigh myself in the morning, after peeing, not the week of TOM, to see what sort of weight that equals; then I'll leave the scale alone until I can wear size 8's, and repeat process.

Scales are eeeeeevil for chronic dieters. They'll depress us one day and give us "reasons" to cheat the next.

Also, I avoid people who torture or tease or nudge me "helpfully" about my size or weight, which makes life ever so much more pleasant!

Why an obsession with what a "real weight" is...are you trying to "make weight" for your next professional boxing match? I say, if if motivates you and makes you feel better to turn the whole scale at home down 15 pounds, that's still fine. Your weight loss relative to your start point will be the same. If the clothes are looser and if you're in ketosis and if you know you're not cheating, you'll lose the fat. It'll happen sooner, or it'll happen later, and the whole while you'll feel better for avoiding carbs.

Best of luck!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Wink Keeping it simple

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin4980
When do you guys weigh yourself?
Whenever I step on the scale!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 16:04

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default weighing yourself

Eventhough I am on Atkins right now I follow the CALP method of weighing daily, first thing in the morning, recording it and then at the end of the week average it out and then compare it to last week's average to determine weight loss. This way I don't worry about daily fluctuations and then plan my menus for the next week accordingly--works for me.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 19:58

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

You're going to think I'm sick.

I weight myself every time I'm naked or have the time to remove all my clothing (provided I'm at home and not a dinner guest at somebody else's house) So, before work about 3 times, after work once and once again before bed, and again in the middle of the night

I am at the point where I can guess my weight, and be right. How's that for cool?

And yes, I can weigh myself at night and predict how much I will weigh in the morning, and be right.

I'm going to have to pursue that circus career, I think.

PS and yes, Nat, I have similar weekly patterns too.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 20:18

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

Wow! Jesdorka....

Certainly I am also doing the same thing as you now...on Atkins, making sure my carb intake is less than 20g....and i take my weight every morning in my undies

I compare my weight weekly so the fluctuations dun mess up... although sometimes getting pretty frustrated abt them...

keep on going!