Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251.5/231.5/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking Low-carbing at home Christian moms...Join Us!!

Hi!

You are not alone in your journey to become all that God wants you to be!!

*grin*

There are several of us in the same situation and we've decided to pal up and help one another along in this low-carb weight loss journey!!

Would you like to join with us? All you have to do is post a reply...

Low-carbing is challenging (and well worth it)! Add to that staying home and being around food all day...not to mention snacks that the kids eat...it is even more challenging.

We want to look to God and thank Him for each small success--He is the giver of all good gifts!

Each step we take toward meeting our realistic goals is glorifying to Him.

So, let's get some fellowship and support flowing in this group....

Love in Him,
sammidawnm (Samantha)

P.S. If you want access to this group easily once you have posted at least one reply do the following: After logging on click on the profile "card" in the top right hand corner and it will bring up all threads you are "subscribed" to. You are subscribed once you post a reply.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:47

BF:
Wink Introductions...

I thought it would probably be good to start off by each of us introducing ourselves....

My full name is Samantha "sammi". I am 31. I have 2 sons, ages 5 and 3. I have been married for 7 years to Brian.

I have struggled with weight all of my life. I am a recovering bulemic.

This is my second time around on Atkins. First time lost 30 pounds and due to nursing and mothering such young children had to stop.

I began this time around the end of June.

I am down about 14 pounds at this point.

My desire for sweets is greatly decreased and I know this time is it. I'm not giving up until I get there.

I hope that fellowshipping with you ladies will make this process more pleasant.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you so please introduce yoruself!!

sammidawnm
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 17:43

Plan: CAD
Stats: 227/226/165
BF:
Progress: 2%
Talking Hi

My name is Brandy I am 30 yrs old and have 3 kids. I also have been struggling all my life with my weight.
I have decided to give this one last and final try. This Time I WILL do it.
Glad to be part of the board 227/227/165
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 18:10
Registered Member

Stats: 191.5/183.5/130
BF:
Progress: 13%
Talking

Hi Samantha and Brandy,

So glad we can support each other through this journal I don't feel quite so "exposed." ha

I am the mother of two girls...4 years and 18 mos. I've been married for 9 years and have been a SAHM since my first daughter was born. I love it but it has its challenges, just like every other job.

Weight has been an issue for me as long as I can remember. I managed to get down to 130 in college but haven't seen that number in many, many years. I always thought this was something I had to do on my own but now I realize I can only do it with the Lord's strength. My power ends around 10 am. ha

This is my third week on Atkins and I am determined to make this work. I keep reading how the first time around is a "golden opportunity" and I refuse to give up. Just when I think I'm going to I am encouraged by others to keep going. Accountability is key and this group will help all of us.

I've rambled on long enough. Just so glad we're doing this together!

Donna
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 10:28

BF:
Talking Welcome Brandy!!

Hi Brandy!

So glad you decided to join us here..we need each other.

I feel as you do...this time is it...I mean it...but support from others will keep us going!!

How old are your children?

What diet are you doing and how are you doing?

Getting started on low carb is challenging but instantly (almost) gratifying...

Stick to it and you won't regret beginning this!!!!!!!

Samantha
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 10:42

BF:
Talking Glad you found this Donna!!

Your determination re-motivates me today Donna!!!

Oh, I've had a morning of feeling like giving up. The weight isn't coming off as quickly as I'd like and unfortunately let the little god in my life rule (scale) and used it as an excuse to eat a no-no Oh my can't believe I did it.

Definitely being a mommy encouraged this one--had the 'junk food' available. I ate poptarts and some animal crackers (like 50g carbs in one meal). Anyway...needed to hear your dedication this morning!! I'm back on track.

I actually felt like I was going to have to go back to bed after consuming the junk. My blood sugar must've crashed. I had no energy..felt sick to my stomach for about an hour. Even without losing weight, going back isn't worth it for becoming virtually incapacitated from food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staying at home has it's challenges (like having stuff available)...this just means we have to be even stronger. With, of course, the Lord's help.

Wow...130 in college? I haven't seen those numbers since 9th grade

I have no baseline of being a 'normal weight adult'.

Donna, I haven't heard of this "Golden Opportunity" the first time around you are talking about....please explain.

So glad you are sticking with it!

Thanks for motivating me!!

Samantha
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 12:06

BF:
Default my new mottos to live by

I have 2 new motto's in life that I am going to live by maybe you have heard them.
1. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels
2. If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.

Should I be writing my daily journal here? I am not sure.
This is my second day of my new way of life. I did CAD about 4 years ago and I loved it but babies made me big again. I like to use that for the reason wether it is true or not. HaHa.

I think I am going to do the 2 week induction of Atkins then switch to Cad. I am not sure yet.

I did get up in the middle of the night with that sweet craving that I usualy have no control over but I had a pickle instead.
whoo hooo!!!

That was a mountain conquered for me.
What do you ladies do for exercise? I really really hate exercise. I ordered pilates for dummies and I am going to try that.

Remember to drink your water even if you are not thirsty. I found that it goes down alot easier when you use a straw. (It's True)

I live in arizona so the water is a must anyway.

I am liking this board thing even though I ramble it keeps me motivated.
Have a good day.

Breakfast= Steakums covered with pepperjack cheese and garlic
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 14:50
Registered Member

BF:

Hi guys...

As I've been reading the message board several people have referred to the first time doing Atkins being an opportunity to make the most of weight loss. I'm just going by what others have said but I guess if you stop and start this WOE your body will adjust to the rigors of induction and fight you somewhat. Our bodies...what a marvel they are.

I know what you mean about the scale. It has dictated the start of my day for many years. I am trying not to let it impact me, just being thankful for the way I feel.

Last night my husband and I went to the movies. Normally the movies is a major eating trigger for me so I prepared beforehand. While my husband took his usual goodies, I packed Carbolite Jelly Beans, pork rinds, and a diet drink. No, I'm not proud of "sneaking it in" but that's another discussion. ha

Anyway, it worked out GREAT! I didn't even eat the pork rinds and the jelly beans were soooo good. I got them at Walgreens. Highly recommended...after induction, of course. I know I should be able to go to the movies without goodies but...baby steps, baby steps, right?

Today is a new day, Samantha, so I hope you're not beating yourself up over last night. Believe me, I understand. Sometimes those goodies just look too good to pass up. If we had to be perfect to do this we'd never log on this site. Today you have a clean slate and can begin again.

I like your mottos, Brandy. One I like is, "A moment on the lips...forever on the hips!" ha

I have started doing a kickboxing workout at home and like to walk often for exercise. It's hard to fit it in to a busy mommy schedule, as you both know, but I figure I'm setting an example to my little ones by doing so. I don't do it nearly as often as I should but I'm trying to do it more consistently to get farther along in my weight loss.

Congratulations on conquering that "sweet tooth mountain," Brandy. You're doing great and the longer you win those little victories, the easier it will be.

My next mountain is tonight with a bunch of girlfriends who want to eat mexican food at someone's house. I know I can't have beans and tostadas but I made my own LC cheesecake for dessert and a GREAT broccoli bacon salad. Sounds gross, but it is wonderful.

Okay, here I am taking up all this room on our board. Hope you both have a wonderful day!

Donna
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 15:39

BF:
Default Donna

Oh Donna I have to have the Brocoli bacon recipe it does not sound gross to me it sounds Yummy.

Have you tried those endulge bars by Atkins? They taste exactly, I mean exactly like chocolate. with only 2 carbs. Yummy

I know I can't have them now I am on the induction. But if you like chocolate they are the way to go.

I am going to a potluck tonight and I have no idea what I am going to do. Probably just watch everybody else eat. I can't get out og going either. I have to bring my homemade salsa which I can't have either. But I will be okay pretty motivated.

Okay time to go pop up a bag of Pork Rinds
Have a good day
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 07:53

BF:
Talking You gals are just what I need to stay on track!!!

Thanks Donna and Brandy for sharing in this journey of weight loss with me!! I am so encouraged by you both!! I'm now filling my clean slate with all the right stuff and loving it!!! I'm not giving that scale any power over me!

Brandy, love the mottos....I've heard a variation of #2 that I've been saying it goes like this "If you want something you've never had...you have to do something you've never done". Point in yours and this--can't stay the same with habits if we want change. This phrase I wrote comes from the Chrisitian motivatioinal speaker Mike Murdock.

Brandy, you can start your own individual journal if you'd like under journal and yours would be under 'D' for Dietmom. But, we love hearing about your day here too. I have a journal in there. I try to post everyday...anyone is welcome to read and post in journals.

Yipee to you Brandy on the pickleI've heard that takes away the craving for sweet. True? And good job Donna on avoiding those full of carb snacks at the movies. I readsomewhere in Active low-carbers one lady told the theatre that she had to bring her water because she was diabetic and they allowed it. When I read that I thought...there is no reason why they shouldn't allow us low-carbers to bring water and low-carb snacks (if they don't carry any) with the reason given as--I have to control my blood sugar level.

This low carb way of eating sure is taking off. My local drugstore-Eckerd now carries the Carbo-lite version of chocolate bars and the convience store Sheetz now has low carb power bars.

I think low carb chocolate is a God send for us!! I have eaten the endulge and think is reeeeaaaaaall good but I actually like Ross Chocolate better. It, to me really tastes better than carb-filled chocolate. Some people have found them in their drugstore but I've ordered online.

Good job on the exercise and exercise plan ladies. I've just been thinking that I should get back to it so things move more quickly (actually at this point move at all). I love kickboxing!! That is the highest calorie burner I've heard. I've heard the pilates is good too--even though I'm not sure how they work.

Donna, I gotta have that broccoli/bacon salad too!!!! I love those items together!!

Brandy, the water tip is great. Gonna try it today!

You ladies have a wonderful low-carb day!!

Samantha
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 08:00

BF:
Lightbulb Just realized...

I know I told you ladies I was on Atkins a few years ago and lost some weight...but yesterday when I was reading about he CAD diet I realized that is what I did...not Atkins. This made me feel better since I was hearing things about Atkins that I 'didn't remember'. (Really was hearing them the for the first time)

And really, this time around I've not been strict Atkins either.

My point is this---I haven't used the "Golden Opportunity" window!!!

I've tried to do the formal and right inducaiton like 5 times and still haven't completed the full 2 weeks without eating a processed low carb food (bread or Ross chocolate). I want to do it right and looks like my chances are good for success!!!!

Today's my new day #1. Pray for me that I make it the whole 2 weeks...please.

Thanks,
Samantha
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 10:37

Plan: '72 Atkins
Stats: 224/193/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Talking Is it too late to join in?

Sammi, Brandy and Donna, could you stand another member? I've been an inactive member of these forums the last four months, but have lost 20 lbs. since Christmas. I did keep an active journal the first few months of the year but Life and other obligations got in the way--that and a lousy computer . I think now what I need is a group situation, with the kind of encouragement you guys are giving.

I have two kids--Tiffany (13) and Kelly (10). Tiff is trying to do the low carbing with me--she broke her foot at the first of the summer and was so concerned about gaining weight while she's been down and out, I've tried to fill the house with low carb snacks and fruits. My son has lost 4 lbs. this summer, much to his delight! And grown, too--he's stretching I stayed at home with them when they were young--it was hard at times, but so worth it! Wouldn't trade the experience for anything, and know especially for my son, now that he is older, that it was the best thing to do. In fact, he is the reason I quit work--he was a hard baby, and was "fired" from two babysitters!! That was terrible.

I am older than you kids --hit 40 this year. But, I turned in a big way to Christ this year, to give me strength--my husband had major heart surgery in January, and I know friends' and families' prayers are what got us through--that and low-carbing! I lost most of my weight during that time (all the worry? actually, I didn't worry that much--no time!). He did not come out of the surgery as well as we'd hoped, so much of the physical responsibilities around here are on my shoulders. That's why I am back to active low carbing--we don't know what the future will bring (could be heart transplant eventually) so I know I must be as strong as I can possibly be. Low-carbing can (and will) help. I am positive Faith and Low Carbing got me through the first part of this year! I wish I hadn't let my journal fade away as I posted often about what we were going through. It would be interesting to see again--after getting through that, I hope and believe I can get through anything.

I am rambling--I hope you don't mind a once-SAHM but now working outside the home (I worked harder when I was at home fulltime!) stay and contribute. If my plans work out, I'll be a SAHM again--I thoroughly believe that high schoolers need mom at home even more than when they were in elementary school! .
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 13:26

BF:
Talking WELCOME CAROLYN!

You bet you can join with us!! I'm so glad you found us!!

Yipee! 20 pounds since Christmas and virtually on your own since you weren't recieving support from a group. You're awesome.

Sounds like you have you hands very full!!

So sorry to hear about your husband, but am rejoicing that healing is on it's way. I will keep him--and you-- in prayer!!

What kind of snacks do you actually get your kids to eat that they like? I have a sister who is trying to incorporate this with her 10 year old. Mine are little and other than cheesesticks haven't found much.

So glad to hear that Christ was a great source of encouragment and comfort through your trying times. We are here for you and will try to support and encourage you in your journey right now.

I would've never thought that 'teenager need SAHM more than smaller kids'....I kept thinking that once mine were bigger I should probably go to work since I wouldn't have to care for them so much--hope I am wrong!

I love staying home and am encouraged by your comment that you worked hardest at home. It can be discouraging. I have not worked outside the home since I've had kids.

Did you happen to look into "inactive journals" to see if your's is still there? I don't know how long they keep them-but maybe. Even if you don't find it--starting a new one now will in months from now show awesome progress again I'm sure. I encourage you to begin journaling again!!

What diet are you using?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Love in Him,
Samantha
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 14:26

BF:
Default day one

Okay Samantha I am on day 1 of the induction as well. I would be on day 3 but messed up without knowing until it was to late grabbed my water jug that I always have with me took a big swig and my Husband put Coke in it so he could take it shopping with him. It was an accident but screwed me up anyway. I have never finished the 2 weeks either. We can do it together. I am not a huge meat eater so that poses a problem for me but I will manage. Stock up on bacon and corned beef. I can do this, I can do this!!!!

I woke up this morning and did pool exercises. YEA!! usualy I don't do anything. I am not sure what the pilates is either but I ordered the video "Pilates for Dummies" When I get it I wil let you know what it is like. I like Tae Bo as well but last time I got fed up I sold mine at a yard sale. HaHa.

Donna, Have not heard from you yet today I hope everything is going well. I love hearing from everyone. It keeps me motivated.

Carolyn, so nice you can join us. Sorry to hear about all your stresses right now. That must be hard. Keep with the low carbing and the journal and God and everything will pull through. You know what they say the better you feel about yourself the better you can tend to others.

Is anyone on instant messanger? AOl, Yahoo? I am going to download one and would love to have the program the same so we can chat at times? What do you ladies think?

I admire everyone for being in church. I am Christian but have gotton out of the habbit. I really want to go back to church. My 5 year old is hungry for it always asking me questions about God. I feel so bad for not putting the time in. Afterall he gives me 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I should be able to give him 2 hours on Sunday, Rght? I know it sounds like a sorry excuse my my energy levels are so low I hate even having to leave the house. That will change though with my new way of eating.

I will check in again tonight think I will have corned beef and cabbage tonight.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 20:17
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Hi ladies!

What a great surprise to see so many posts. Who knew it would be such an encouragement to go online?

Welcome, Carolyn. I'm so glad you've joined the group. It's always great to have the perspective of a mom who has moved beyond the preschool years and has the wisdom of "been there, done that." It sounds like you've been through a lot recently. I'm glad you have your family's support and involvement in this new health venture.

I'm somewhat discouraged. I thought I had done induction correctly, but after reading the posts, I realize I blew it and need to start over. I thought diet sodas and Endulge bars were okay (although not encouraged) in induction. Now I see that was a no-no and could have been why I didn't see the loss I expected. So, tomorrow is my "new day" and I'll be going through induction with the rest. Thankfully, we have this journal to touch base with each other and work through any snags. Oh, I hope I don't get those nasty headaches again. ugh Can we still have s/f jello and Splenda?

Brandy, I hope you find a church in your area. I know it's soooo hard to go back, getting up early (not to mention getting kids ready), but so worthwhile. It's so helpful spiritually, emotionally, and even physically. The support is amazing. I've even formed an accountability group for Atkins at my church. They keep me on track and we can encourage each other in our faith. Well, didn't mean to preach....just want you to tap into the resource that God has for you.

I'm pumped to start exercising daily while my daughter is in preschool. She starts her new 4-day schedule tomorrow and the little one still takes a morning nap while she's gone. Instead of finding meaningless things to do, I want to exercise my mind and body. This has always been a challenge for me but I know I need to do it.

I'll post that recipe in a second post. I'm not sure about the carb count because I still don't have the hang of figuring carbs minus fiber and all that business. If someone else has that down, please share your insight. This recipe is always a hit...for LCers and non-LCers alike. Thankfully we aren't counting fat grams! ha

Sorry I haven't checked in earlier. Sunday is our family's busiest day at church, but I'm glad I was able to check in with you tonight. Now I can join in the induction "fun" along with you.