Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 21:31

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%
Question Fitday is the devil! aka Onions have protein?

Okay, I had to start a new thread on this one so I could get a few opinions. This isn't a poll, per se, but I'm SO flippin' confused by fitday info these days:

1/8 C of an ONION has ONE gram of protein??? Can this be right?? A whole onion has almost 1.40g of protein, so how does 1/8 C have a gram???? Okay, so maybe it rounds UP the values, but STILL, onions have THAT much protein??

I've noticed that even if something has a trace of some macronutrient, fitday automatically assigns it a value of 1g. This adds up over time, dang it, and makes it difficult to track what you eat! I had my protein levels perfect today...until I input my carbs...them WHAMO! I'm suddenly on a protein binge via onions or sweet potatoes???

....so set me straight...IS there that much protein value in ANY given veggie?????

Thanks, all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 21:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jalilah,

All vegies have small amounts of protein.

According to Fitday, 1 medium onion has 1.28g protein. Yes Fitday always round up, so unless you're having several onions at once, you have nothing to worry about.

Is it a problem for you to have 1 or 2 extra grams of protein?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 04:42

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
Hi Jalilah,

All vegies have small amounts of protein.

According to Fitday, 1 medium onion has 1.28g protein. Yes Fitday always round up, so unless you're having several onions at once, you have nothing to worry about.

Is it a problem for you to have 1 or 2 extra grams of protein?

Hi, Rosebud!

Well, considering that excess protein converts to glucose and stores as fat...I'm trying not to go over the 144g/day I'm supposed to take in. I guess it wouldn't be so bad, except that according to fitday I took in an extra 30g (which most was my bad, of course) and about 1/3 of it was from veggies! LOL.

I mean, I knew veggies have small bits of protein (strawberries even yield...according to fitday...about 1g for a 3/4 C), but I didn't realize until lately (because I'd been low carbing for over 7mos) that veggies and fruits have this much protein. Sort of knocked me for a loop, I guess.

Thanks, Rosebud! I appreciate the confirmation. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being mislead. I've been having weird problems with fitday lately anyway, so I thought I'd better check to be on the safe side.

Okay... so I guess fitday isn't the devil, but I think chocolate maybe is! lol