Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 09:05

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 313/235/225 Male 73"
BF:
Progress:
Default skin complexion problems - grey/green skin tone

hello - i've been on a low-carb diet since december of 2009. I've lost ~80 pounds. I try and stay away from carbs as much as possible and I tend to eat a lot of meat.
What I have a problem with is a frequent case of poor skin complexion that I'm concerned might be related to this diet. I'm frequently told that I have a grey/green skin complexion. Apparently it changes all the time - sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't, but it's frequent enough to cause me concern. Sometimes people can be really alarmed and will set me aside and ask me if everything is ok. Yesterday I took my son to McDonald's and the guy behind the counter asked me if I was ok and I said 'sure, why?' and he said 'because your face is really green! you sure everything's ok?' - that type of stuff. It really bothers me when this happens, I get very embarassed.

Does anyone know what this might be related to? I've heard opponents to low carb dieting say that this type of thing can happen but I don't recall ever coming across it in the low carb literature. I get embarassed by it and it's intereseting, neither me nor my wife or kids can tell. Whenever someone tells me I look this way, when I ask my wife & kids they say they don't notice anything wrong, even when multiple people are noticing it with me. This is probably because they are with me so frequently that they don't notice.

As mentioned - I tend to eat a lot of meat so I was thinking it might be related to that.
In addition to my diet, I take a daily multivitamin, fish oil, & vitamin D
any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 09:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd go see a doctor. Gray skin color can be some underlying disease. Never heard of skin turning green though.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 09:16

Plan: protein power
Stats: 215/209.6/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I don't think it's diet related, please go get your liver checked. One of the signs of hepatitis and liver failure is a greenish look. You need a check up NOW! Plenty of people who aren't dieting, get liver trouble and that colour is the first sign for many of them.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 09:32

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 313/235/225 Male 73"
BF:
Progress:

I've been to the doctor about this issue a couple of times. They did a number of lab panels and nothing came out from them. I do have kidney problems, but my nephrologist says that my skin complexion problems are not consistent with my kidney issues. He doesn't know what the problem is.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 19:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Then get a referral from your current nephrologist to a hepatologist: A gastroenterologist who specializes in diagnosing and treating liver diseases.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-11, 02:20

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

The greenest person I've ever seen I was told was recovering from a very severe episode of acute anemia. She seriously looked green, not just pale. And that was after she was back at work. Not sure about the specific diagnosis, but she looked *scary*.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-11, 10:51
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 232/202/120 Female 5'3
BF:Insane
Progress: 27%

If doctors aren't helping you..I'd try Google. Seriously. I've found many answers for my own health problems or with my dogs thanks to the internet and doctors failing. Just Google different variations of what you already posted "grey/green skin"
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 16:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/190/175 Male 6
BF:
Progress:

Could be too much iron, that can cause a greyish/green hue to the skin. It would fit with the high meat intake - check to make sure that your multivitamin doesn't include iron too.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 20:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh, it's a long shot, but if you're consuming silver it can turn your skin permanently grey.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-11, 00:04

Plan: Kwasniewski
Stats: 120/132/115 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -240%

i definitely think you should take the other's suggestions of liver problem to heart, but since you have mentioned you eat a lot of meat, i wonder if you might be eating too much meat and not enough fat. in gary taubes' book why we get fat, he mentions that lc diets were done safely and effectively in the past by eating 75% fat, and 25% protein. that is a significant amount of fat, not to be gotten just by eating the fat that happens to be on the meat.

lc diets are supposed to be high in fat, not high in protein. you may want to take this into consideration.

all the best.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-09-11, 19:33

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
The greenest person I've ever seen I was told was recovering from a very severe episode of acute anemia. She seriously looked green, not just pale. And that was after she was back at work. Not sure about the specific diagnosis, but she looked *scary*.

THIS! yes, I've seen this a few times...and everytime it was anemia (and several of the cases were pernicious anemia and hypothyroidism together..anemia, especially pernicious...is found with hypothyroidism a LOT in females).

Yep, 'scary' is the right terminology...if you've seen this, it's almost as if the person is wearing some type of 'green makeup base'.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 15:34

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

my mother has an 'olive' skintone and she looks sort of greenish in the winter because she's lost her summer colour.

Does your heritage include having an olive skintone?

On the otherhand, you probably should follow the advice to look into this more medically speaking.