Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 10:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/197/180 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Exclamation Ross Chocolate Bars!

I just discovered that those REALLY good Ross chocolate bars that have made this diet much easier for me, are actually NOT 3 grams of carbs, but 14! At least according to the hidden carb calculator. Does maltitol (the sweetener these chocolates use) drive the carb count up?

Ken
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 10:53

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey again, Ken. Take a peak at the link I gave you on sugar alcohols . It's all explained there by our resident guru, Doreen

And yes, it does drive up the carb count.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 11:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/197/180 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Nat,

Maltitol is supposed to be non-digetible in the body, which is why so many lo-carb products use it, including Dr. Atkins in his new choclate bar "Endulge." so isn't it a bit misleading to count is as a regular carb?

Ken
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 12:14

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sugar Alcohols are very much YMMV (Your Milage May Vary). To not count them as carbs is misleading to those who process them that way. Everyone reacts differently. As Doreen's article pointed out some diabetics actually get a rise in insulin similar to what happens when they ingest carbs. You have to experiment and see what works for you. If you're stalling and you've been consuming the bars on a daily basis I'd cut them out and see what happens. Also, because sugar alcohols are not natural carbs and your body can't absorb all of them they tend to have a laxative effect. It's advisable to eat only the suggested serving size.

Nat