Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-16, 11:35

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 208/190/135 Female 5 feet, 1 inch
BF:35%
Progress: 25%
Default Help with Keto!!

I apologize in advance if this turns out to be a rather long post, I want to make sure Im explaining myself thoroughly. I started out at 208 So beginning in January I started to cut out carbs, didnt count them, just made an effort to eat less. I still had cereal, rice, beans and fruit. I didnt notice any weight loss, but I wasnt really trying either. I decided once work ended I begin a ketogenic diet. So, starting June 4th, I cut my carbs down 30grams and began a 1200 calorie diet. For the first week, I felt tired could barely get off the couch, but I stuck with it and lost about 10 pounds. Then something happened, all of the sudden I felt amazing. I could exercise, I woke up in the morning feeling refreshed and happy (never felt this good in years). It seemed to me that my ketogenic diet was working. Well, 2 days of bad eating I fell out of ketosis. So, I told myself I'll enjoy some foods for a few days and then try again. Well, I didnt last 2 days. I felt so sick I decided to go right back on the ketogenic diet. So, back to limiting carbs and I was in ketosis in about 2 days. Now, its been about a week and here is where I am having trouble... Its been a little over a week and I feel horrible. I cant figure out why I felt so good before after only a week, but now I cant seem to get that good feeling back. Im having insomnia, I feel off balance and dizzy when I get up and walk around. I am trying adding salt and potassium to my food, plus I take magnesium every night (I do this anyway for anxiety). I feel like I have no energy, but my diet is exactly the same as it was before when I felt so good. Also, for 4 days I havent lost any weight. I just want to get back to feeling like I had all of this energy instead of feeling like I'll fall over every time I stand up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Macros: 10% carbs, 20% protein, 70 %
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-16, 13:24

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

A couple of things occur to me: I wonder if you are getting enough to eat. 1200 calories is pretty low. If you felt great, I'd say carry on doing what works, but you're not losing and you feel lousy...why don't you try upping your calories to 1500 or so (additional calories coming from mostly fat) and see if that helps.

Another thing is salt. You say you are trying to add salt, but is it enough? Try drinking 2 cups of full salt bouillon or simply licking a 1/2 tsp or full tsp off your palm a couple of times a day. If salt is the problem, you will very quickly feel better. LC has a strong diuretic effect and we simply need more salt than folks on the SAD diet (plus they are generally getting plenty from processed foods).

Magnesium and potassium may take longer to see effects. You could add magnesium and see what happens. If you are taking too much, it will show up as loose stools, and you simply cut back to the point that it no longer has that effect. Also make sure you are not taking magnesium oxide, but one that ends in 'ate' - magnesium chelate, magnesium citrate, etc as it is better absorbed and less likely to cause gastrointestinal effects.

Potassium is even trickier. It is sold in pills which deliver very small amounts because an overdose can be fatal. Assuming you have properly functioning kidneys, it is unlikely you will OD, but why take a chance? Try adding 1/2 an avocado to your daily diet. Meat is also a major source of potassium.

One last thought, while you go back into ketosis fairly quickly when you are fully ketoadapted, you've been keto for only 3 1/2 weeks. Generally it takes 4-6 weeks to be fully keto-adapted; with your breaks it may take a bit longer. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-16, 16:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Everything Liz said, plus please accept that things don't turn around in four days! You say you are "Keto"..what does that mean to you? Unlike the way that word is thrown around on the internet, I only use it Keto for a medical therapy where you are monitoring blood ketones and keeping a BG:Ketone ratio of 1. http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/0...-a-ketard1.html It takes 4-6 weeks to come close to solid "Keto-adapted" like that.

My suggestion would be to start following a well-formulated Low Carb diet like the Two weeek challenge on DietDoctor. http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb Spend the summer you have off learning everything you can about how and why LC works. Join the DietDoctor website for a few months and watch all the video and movies there. The ones with Dr Phinney explain Keto-adaptation well, his talk in Capetown was great.

Here's a new post about the challenge diet, which is Dr. Westman's Duke Clinic diet, which can be "keto". http://www.dietdoctor.com/taking-tw...ly-turned-light Follow it for two weeks and you will be "in ketosis" as normally used and feeling better again but don't give that word magic powers. This is a lifestyle..if you return to "bad eating" you will not only get bad results but have to start over. It is different from calorie counting in that respect.
All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jul-01-16 at 10:55.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-16, 11:29

Plan: paleo
Stats: 163/163/130 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

saving for later