Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 05:59

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%
Question On time of carb-up, cardio and weight training

Sorry to ask stupid questions, but I can't get my hands on a copy of the CKD-book, so I have to do it with info provided from you..

Carb-up: why does it start before the depletion workout? I thought you were supposed to deplete your muscles from glycogen? When you eat a carb meal before it fills up immediately, doesn't it? I followed it though, but all my WT is in the morning, so I had half a bottle of fruit drink (200 kcal) before leaving and the other half after having cycled to the gym (14 km) and done a circuit training with 1 set for each muscle group. I then waited with the next meal until well after arriving at home (12:00), where I ate rice pudding with a banana.

I am doing the weight training in BFL style but eat in CKD style. Now I am wondering whether to adapt the BFL schedule! I was reading the sticy (CKD 101?) and it was said that you should do a full body weight training on Mon and a circuit training on Wed and Friday.
I do 4 workouts and 3 cardio sessions now.. does it sound OK?
Mon morning: lower body work out (in week 2, in week 1 it is UBWO)
Tues morning: swimming or Tues evening: aquarobic
Wed morning: UBWO (LBWO in week 1) and spinning class (might add aquajogging when I skip Tues swim)
Thursday: rest day
Fri morning: LBWO (UBWO in week1)
Sat morning: circuit WO and spinning
Sunday: rest day.

it is unfortunate that I can't choose cardio times: spinning classes are on Wed/Sat morning only and aquarobic on mon-tues-wed-fri evening or aquajogging on mon-wed night. When I swim as I did on Tues morning I am not really working very hard.. I know an aquarobics or aquajogging class will kick my butt, but the times aren't very convenient..
OTOH, I can do my weight training on all mornings from Mon thru Sat (closed on Sun). As I don't feel like cycling in the dark in winter, evening classes/workouts are not done...
By the way, I eat after arriving in the gym but before the workout, as well as right after the workout (take 2 meals of fresh cottage cheese with me.. )

Advice is welcome.

Fietser, puzzled in Wageningen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 06:10

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

you want to eat carbs for two reasons. One is to kick you out of ketosis so you aren't using ketones for energy. This will force you to burn glucose and deplete glycogen from your muscles even further. Also lyle stated in his book that you should eat some form of carbs five hours before the workout to get the enzymes required to process carbs working. Apparently that's how long it takes to change back over, much the same way you have to switch over to ketosis after being in a glucose burning state.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 06:12

Plan: bodyopus
Stats: 212/196/185
BF:15%
Progress: 59%
Default Taking it all to hard

Hi, last week i did a lot of training and this week i am burned.

I look at your training and everything seems to be quit good.

The best time to train would be in the morning because its then that you will be burning more fat, body is empty at that time so you burn directly into fat.

I trained in the morning but for now will take it a bit cool.

Most of my friends have gotten the flu or a cold and i just dont wanna get sick.

I have been doing it too hard.

Take 2-3 dose of thermostack a day, doing a lot of training sets and reps, way to much, 51 sets workout for one day is a way to much.

I gave you a lot of advise the other day, you really got to choose what works best for you, if doing cardio fits you best at night then do it at night. Of whenever you can squeeze it in.

Has long has you do it.

Give the diet time to work, you dont really need to by a CDK book, here you can learn the basics then see what works for you.

I have a date that i started this diet but i sure dont have one that tells me when i am gonna end it.

Try what you have outlined for at least 2 weeks and see if it works or not.

Learning has much has you can about how your body reacts to the foods you eat, the training you do will be the best way you will have for fatloss.

Your plan is very good.

BTW, i know what you are going true, i have done many diets in the past and wanted to do everything right, and i got really confused. This is why you have to give all of this time, try to make your journal too so you can look back at what has work and what didnt.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 21:18

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Hi The only way to get the book is to order it from Lyle's site (no book stores carry it to my knowledge). Anyhoo.. you'll find the link below.

http://www.theketogenicdiet.com/

It's a heavy read, but well worth it. No flowery stuff, no sales tactics, no pretty words to get you motivated-----just the nitty gritty, down and dirty specifics. It's a GREAT book!

I'm not sure about your training schedule, although that many sets DOES sound like quite a bit. The CKD schedule in the book varies as far as the depletion workout (wether you use tension or heavy weight training sets), and the days are basically Mon and Tues weight training, Friday depletion. Cardio in-between if you choose, but normally no lifting or cardio on the days you carb up....except for the depletion workout. That's a nutshell version, but the book explains everything in detail.

Last edited by Jalilah : Mon, Oct-21-02 at 21:24.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 22:33

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

I got mine from www.netrition.com along with bodyopus...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 06:32

As said above, I've bought the book now in pdf-version (no paperback to avoid sending costs).

I've just decided to do a cardio exercise on Monday evening, rather than on Wednesday night..
I'm doing cardio on Wednesday morning already and doing another one in the evening would leave me pretty knackered!

If I do the aquajogging cardio on Mon night I can skip the swimming on Tuesday morning which is actually rather slow and I'll be in ketosis a lot sooner..
Just checked, and I'm still not in ketosis (stopped carbup on Sun 1200hr).

Fietser
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 10:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Fietser
As said above, I've bought the book now in pdf-version (no paperback to avoid sending costs).

Fietser

Oh, sorry Fiester... I must've missed that tidbit of information.

I had trouble getting back into ketosis quickly, too, but from what Lyle told me it was most likely my high activity level. I'm not doing any ketogenic dieting right now because I'm trying my best to keep the energy level high...which I just couldn't do with those low, low carbs! Eating tons of fat to bring my calories up didn't help either, so it was a choice I had to make for "me." However, I'm going to give my body this much-needed rest from low-carbing then try to return to CKD in a couple of weeks or so.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 13:18

No Jalilah, you understood me right but I phrased my remark in the wrong way.. I mentioned in another post that I acquired the book.. actually I did so after reading your comment!
So Lyle can be grateful! I also got the 'order before 22 Nov' special, e.g. a quick-start to carboloading. I started reading but was then held up by other things..

I am in the habit of reading lots on screen so I just ordered the pdf-file, if I want to I can always print stuff.

So, I'm very curious.. btw I mentioned on a bodybuilding forum that I 'd bought that pdf-version and got immediate requests for free copies.. don't think so, unless they want to pay me half of the price..but even then it's not quite ethical. strange as I have no qualms about free software..

Fietser
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 21:16

Quote:
So, I'm very curious.. btw I mentioned on a bodybuilding forum that I 'd bought that pdf-version and got immediate requests for free copies.. don't think so, unless they want to pay me half of the price..but even then it's not quite ethical. strange as I have no qualms about free software..

Fietser

Hold your ground on that one, Fiester! That book (even the PDF version) isn't exactly cheap. You paid for it, so why give it away for free?

I don't mind free software as long as it was meant to be. I guess because of the industry I'm involved in I have a pretty firm view on intellectual property. There are so many who want free music, free videos, and they're always trying to get this stuff for nothing. Yet, they don't stop to think that they are tearing down an industry they're part of! As dancers, we rely on musicians and their talent, expertise and hard work to be able to dance to quality music, so when this stuff is given away, etc... well, we're hurting ourselves in the long run.

I appreciate Lyle's hard work with his book, so I didn't blink an eye at paying his price for the information. AND... he takes the time to answer questions of those who've bought his book (a definite bonus!).

Glad you got your book, though.... have fun reading it!

PS... I'd go blind if I had to read that book on computer! LOL
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 23:40

Quote:
Originally posted by Jalilah
Hold your ground on that one, FieTSer! That book (even the PDF version) isn't exactly cheap. You paid for it, so why give it away for free?
PS... I'd go blind if I had to read that book on computer! LOL

O, I'm quite used to it by now, but I have a fairly decent monitor. It's a lot cheaper to just get the pdf-version: 30 USD. I've been quite the book-collector in the past, actually I just bought a small booklet yesterday (only 5 euro) on cycle-touring in Thailand. And the second last book is on travel in Portugal.
I'm starting to wonder what to do when I am there. As I will be with my brother, who's never travelled before or even cycle-tour, we won't be doing much every day: just approx. 50K/day. I am going to look up the stretch exercises in www.exrx.net and see what I can do to replace the workouts...
Probably good too to stretch inbetween workouts as I heard it diminishes muscle soreness and by elongation you also favour muscle growth! Or, so they say...

FieTSer. (have no idea what a fiester is or a feister or a feitser... (pronounce like feetser)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 04:48

Quote:
FieTSer. (have no idea what a fiester is or a feister or a feitser... (pronounce like feetser)

LOL That actually makes the name kind of funny and cute. I've never traveled anywhere, so have fun for me, too, when you go!

And stretching is always a good idea, as long as the muscles are nice and warm when you do it!