Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#316   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 12:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
We sometimes need to think that doing the opposite might be the way to go with much of this advice. Come to think of it, one of Dr. Fung's recent blog post stated the same.

They have gotten it so amazing, astoundingly, WRONG that I'm ready to play in traffic
Sponsored Links
  #317   ^
Old Tue, May-31-16, 09:19

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Janet, what kind of bullion do you use?
  #318   ^
Old Tue, May-31-16, 10:02

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwaterboy
Hey! Check these out! And they are 1 gram each...

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/sodi...ZhwPBoChjXw_wcB

Holy smokes - those are pricey! I'll stick to putting grocery store salt on my food & licking it off my hand when I feel the need for more.
  #319   ^
Old Tue, May-31-16, 10:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just eat bacon every morning and that does the trick!
  #320   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 00:04

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I just eat bacon every morning and that does the trick!

I eat lots of that but it doesn't seem to be enough for me.
  #321   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 03:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
Janet, what kind of bullion do you use?

Bone broth if I have made it ...which is not all that often, i find it a hassle.
Pacific has a boxed bone broth if I have been to Earthfare, also not often. So most of the time, I have Trader Joe's boxed broths...just pour and heat. Chicken has 570mg sodium per cup (also tiny amount cane sugar). I add fresh ground pink Himalayan salt to most foods..like eggs, salad every night, and some to the broth also.
Dr Westman says to use the cubes, Wyler's has 800mg (along with a lot of other mystery ingredients in one little cube!) so they are in pantry as back up.
  #322   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 11:13

BF:

Also, there's dry gelatin, a collagen you can put in any beverage:

http://www.iherb.com/Great-Lakes-Ge...-oz-454-g/52774

That is what I use. It is the same principle as bone broth, and real bone broth is probably better, but I have a kitchen the size of a Barbie Dream Kitchen. And I am bigger than Barbie.
  #323   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-16, 14:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/158/150 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 85%

I made an important observation regarding sodium recently.
I used to get very uncomfortable feeling and disoriented in the mornings, until I realized I needed to have sodium. I did 2-3 Boullion cubes each morning for awhile until I eventually switched to 2tsp Celtic salt in a glass of water. The disorientation was gone!

I have had diarrhea almost every morning for a year and never knew why. Been to several doctors and nobody could figure it out. It wasn't until recently that I read on a low carb blog that you should NOT get your salt by mixing it with water; this causes an intestinal cleanse and forces your body to have diahrea! It's called a "salt flush" if you want to google it.
I've read Art and Science of Low Carb and have read a lot about sodium here on these forums (as well as other blogs and Jimmy Moores books etc) and I have never seen it mentioned that salt water can do this to you! (I tried searching these forums but I can never get the search to work properly)

Now that I have switched back to Boullion cubes, my bowel issues are gone. However a little bit of that low disorientation in the morning has come back. I realized that 2 Boullion cubes equals 2g of sodium, but my 2tsp dose of Celtic salt each morning was a whopping 4g! That sounds like a lot and I think it's more than most low carvers have recommended, but apparently I need that high dose and I'm not sure why. I also am not good about getting sodium throughout the day, I usually just have that big dose in the morning. I also don't seem to get that disoriented feeling at any other time in the day, and I'm not sure why.

I'm not sure if it's related but I have had pretty extreme issues with fatigue in the last 8 months or so.
So this message is part PSA, and part seeking advice. :-)
  #324   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 19:25

Plan: duke university,dr,weston
Stats: 330/324/275 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default high b/p never ad salt

i have been on the diet lchf for 34 days,my blood pressure went up 182/102 i am now on 4 medications to bring it under control,i had not made any changes except this diet watching the salt,blood work showed sodium was right in the middle range i have been in moderate ketosis for the past 4 days lost 5 lbs down 17 lbs in 34 days,the blood pressure thing really through me,my doctors son does atkins he counld not understand why or explain why it went up this happen to anyone else
  #325   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 19:39

Plan: duke university,dr,weston
Stats: 330/324/275 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default salt intake,

jey100,i believe ,dr,weston says if you have high blood pressure do not drink the bullion?i can not take that chance to ad that much salt,i dont even know why it suddenly happened,i would advise anyone reading this ,if you have high b/p problems,do not take this much salt.
  #326   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-17, 03:59

You are correct, the Clinic Diet says:
Quote:
Bouillon: Occasionally, people can experience fatigue, headaches, body aches, difficulty concentrating, or other flu-like symptoms when they stop eating carbohydrates. These symptoms are usually fairly mild and pass quickly; they are a sign that your body is going through a transition period from burning carbohydrates to burning fat for fuel. To help prevent these symptoms, we recommend drinking beef or chicken broth one to three times a day. Do not use bouillon if you have high blood pressure or heart failure. To make the broth, drop a cube of bouillon into a cup of hot water and drink it. Although your energy levels will soon return to normal, many patients have reported they enjoy the broth and continue drinking it beyond the first week.

Btw, it is Dr. WestMAN. And celebrate those 17 pounds Go to User CP in green bar and Edit profile. Remember to hit Save at bottom.

Also this article I posted on your other thread, Starting LC with high BP: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...-blood-pressure

A common cause of high blood pressure is not salt sensitivity, but high insulin from eating carbohydrates and its resulting Metabolic Syndrome.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure
As you continue to eat LC, reduce insulin, lose weight, etc BP should improve. But it does take time !! And you should continue to monitor BP closely, work with your doctor adjusting medication, etc.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-05-17 at 06:57.
  #327   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-17, 04:22

I think this is somewhere previously in this thread, and you likely know this, but a reminder to all.
Be sure to take BP correctly at home. For the larger person, a larger cuff should be used or you will get an incorrect reading. There are other common mistakes even done in doctor's offices...you should be sitting quietly a while, not just rush in, not lying down, etc.

Larger cuff info: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467934

More tips on taking BP correctly on: https://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure

Quote:
The arm cuff needs to be the right size. If you have large upper arms and measure your blood pressure with cuffs for normal-sized arms, you’ll get disproportionately high values – sometimes as high as 20 units more than your actual blood pressure. In other words, it’s possible that the measurement might falsely indicate an elevated blood pressure. If you’re unsure of your upper arm size, measure the circumference with measuring tape: A circumference of roughly 8.5-12.5 inches will fit normal-sized cuffs (and Omron M2). Upper arms larger than this might need a cuff size of 8.5-16.5 inches (such as the one accompanying Omron M6 Comfort).

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-05-17 at 04:34.
  #328   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-17, 10:01

New talk (1/2017) by Dr. Stephen Phinney -
'Recent Developments in LCHF and Nutritional Ketosis' addresses a new study on sodium and his very specific recommendations for salt intake. Starts about 10 minutes after a break, lasts about 25 minutes. (you really must love alll the nitty gritty on sodium to hang in with this talk )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk0...uw79lVTNSsCUBKZ

Short take, do not avoid salt in your foods, then add 2 boullion cubes for about another 2,000 mg sodium in addition to what is in your food, totalling on average around 5g, but then adjust for your own needs. He has specific race recommendations for sodium and water for endurance athletes at around 30 minutes.

I noticed that boullion cubes vary in sodium content, vs boxed broth, as does the 1/4 tsp serving size of salt, maybe due to volume of salt varying by grain size? I just go by how I feel but this looong talk made me look closer at sodium levels in common foods.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-12-17 at 09:02.
  #329   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-17, 06:37

Saw this on MedPage which is subscription, but DietDoctor has reposted the story. Hope this works.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/salt-gui...ive-say-experts

The Salt Guidelines Are Too Restrictive, Say Experts

Quote:
International Experts Call Salt Guidelines Far Too Restrictive
February 14, 2017 by Larry Husten

A broad group of international experts are recommending a far more modest and less draconian approach to sodium restriction than current U.S. and international guidelines.

In a new paper, published online in the European Heart Journal, they also focused on the broad gaps of knowledge in the field and drew attention to the paucity of high-quality evidence and research. Again, this approach represents a rebuke of current guidelines, which authoritatively assert the benefits of dramatic reductions in salt consumption. (Long article continues)
  #330   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-17, 07:07

BF:

And we run into yet another health recommendation which turns out to have been pulled out of thin air.

I've met many people who claim they feel so much better when they cut down on their sodium; which also cut down on their processed food consumption