Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-17, 09:42

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Freezing all the time

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?

I’ve found that if I jump on the rebounder or elliptical for half an hour I warm up for an hour or two afterwards. After Christmas, I plan to experiment a lot more with the effect of different kinds of exercise, but right now I have a million things to do and can’t devote the effort. Is there something I should be supplementing or eating that’ll help? I’ve googled enough to conclude (perhaps incorrectly) that my reverse T3 is high. I know if I up my carbs that I’ll warm right up, but I really don’t want to do that - most days my carbs are in the zero to twenty range.

I appreciate any thoughts or experiences. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-17, 09:54

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Yep.
D3/K2 helps some.
Mostly it's best to move around for me. I do my workout and I'm good for a bit.
It's just a hazard of eating less. The body adapts by conserving energy. Heat regulation is one of those that gets it. Also, hormone changes play a role in this.

I've talked to a lot of folks. Even those on higher carb diets. They all experience this. I have since I lost the weight. I just wear layers and flail around when I'm freezing. In the coldest days of winter, sometimes I grab my youngest's lap blanket and wrap up in it. Holding a hot cup of something helps.

In my fat ol' days, I was roasting to death all the time. So...funny turn of events.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-17, 15:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I had the same problem and it turned out I had a really really low vitamin b levels. I also had a painful pins and needles feeling when exposed to heat .
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-17, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Do you take thyroid medication now? I had that feeling too and finally got tested- yup very high rT3. I used Request-A test, my insurer didn't cover rT3 testing.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-17, 06:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I get this off and on. It's most noticeable when I don't get enough sleep. I recently spent two months on the graveyard shift and the miserable-freezing was daily for me. For two weeks, I've been back to the shift where I get as much sleep as I need, and it hasn't happened since.

The warm-me-up aerobics work, but not for long - maybe 15 minutes. Something else that works for me (temporarily) is coconut oil. That'll have me tearing my clothes off and sweating.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-17, 18:52

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Something else that works for me (temporarily) is coconut oil. That'll have me tearing my clothes off and sweating.

I wish that would work for my husband - he chills easily, but I'm sure it's due to age. He's quite active & gets coconut oil (hidden in peanut butter fat bombs) daily.

But I wonder if my coconut oil is why my feet aren't getting as cold. I have neuropathy & in the past my feet would get frozen in winter & it was very painful. They still get cold, but no longer frozen & painful. And they warm up faster than they used to.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-21-17, 09:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I found that supplementing with chelated magnesium, better sleep, and finishing my shower with cold water all helped me with cold tolerance.

But yes, part of it is the desired "loss of insulation."
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 07:45

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Thanks everyone for your comments. I found the coconut oil is amazingly helpful. That, and the electric socks my husband got me for Christmas.