Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 15:11

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Bulletproof Coffee Questions

Today I've been reading about the benefits of MCT's and coconut oil. My wife is Thai and already had a jar of the stuff in her Thai cooking cupboard for cooking vegetables. I never thought about it much.

My daughter left behind this glass sized blender she used to make smoothies with and so I made a cup of coffee, poured it in the blender and added a heaping teaspoon and whipped it up - it tastes great!

First off, any comments on this good or bad? The calories concern me a little, especially if I do this to three cups of coffee a day... but maybe the calories should not be a consideration...

Secondly, assuming this is a good thing to do, most recipes call for adding "grass fed unsalted butter" - is this really "necessary" for some reason? Again that jacks up the calories even more. Somehow I think I'm already getting plenty of animal fat in my diet.

Bill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 20:00

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

tastes great = Yes!

good or bad? = Could be both I suppose, or neither.

add butter? = I do, I think it helps suspend the fat better and tastes good.

I use about 15g coconut oil and 15g butter - works out to about 200 calories I guess give or take. This is all I usually consume for breakfast, skip lunch and have dinner.

Enjoy! but I suggest in moderation

Funny Dirty Movie I did on the subject...

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/2017misc/coffattyMovie.mp4

#3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 20:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

You don't have to add a lot of butter or MCT or CO. I've found only 1 tsp total can turn a mug of coffee into a cafe-au-lait coloured "cappuccino".
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 03:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Slightly different answer from me. Dr Westman is not a fan at all for anyone who wants to lose weight. Fat should be coming from real food, people are adding too much "extra fat" (and calories) with a BPC, he fears the liquid fats do not register "satiety" and you will overeat. He said in the "Stalling on LC " video...do Not Drink Any Calories. Period. Has similar advice in the Fat Consumption video. All the Ask Adapt videos are helpful for someone like you wanting to lowering BG, get off meds and lose weight. "We don't count calories, but Calories Do Count"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn...YPwTdu7BYF3j0Eg

That said, since near my goal weight, I do use BPC when fasting, and almost every morning in the summer when I do an intense water class at 7:15am, and can't eat before or after, so the Coconut Oil gives energy. or that may be power of suggestion
But even in these situations, more than 100-200 calories is not a fast. What drives me crazy on the many "Keto" FB pages is people having hundreds of calories in coffee WITH a bacon and egg breakfast.

Thud, love the video instructions!

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Aug-28-17 at 04:48.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 04:18

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

My take, bulletproof coffee is a kind of gimmick devised by David Asprey, not that by itself it's necessarily bad but it is by no means necessary on a low carb diet. I went from a coffee with cream and sugar person to a black coffee person, long before the bullet proof coffee habit became the rage. It's really very simple, just eat real on plan food. I remember really liking my cream and sugar coffee but I also now have learned to like my black coffee, something I never thought would happen.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 04:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

What I like about it is its ability to create a 'creamy' coffee without the cream for those who want/need to give up dairy, or those times you forgot to pick some up at the store. I don't like almond or coconut milk in coffee; I much prefer the BPC.

Be really careful if that blender isn't meant for hot food like a regular full-sized blender. Don't put the lid on until you're ready to blend, blend it up really quickly and take the lid off right away. I've had it explode all over my kitchen.

I don't buy organic grass-fed anything; as I have yet to win the lottery. I don't see that ever being in our budget.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 05:36

BF:

OK - I think what I'll do is allow myself a spoon of coconut oil in my coffee on days I skip eating lunch. That probably won't do much harm and it might be doing some good I do love the taste!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-17, 11:14

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 205/181.8/145 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

I tried this for the first time today and quite enjoyed it.. Although mine was hardly by the book.. I used Folgers coffee, salt free Lactantia butter, liquid coconut oil, HWC and a touch of Walden Farms caramel syrup. Clearly I need to find a deeper container to blend it in because the first pulse created a huge splash. This could become a nice treat once in a while.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-17, 16:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinmount
the first pulse created a huge splash. This could become a nice treat once in a while.

I wound up getting one of those cheap hand blenders:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstay...lender/53264466

and using a large empty pickle jar to do the blending - works great. Also I strongly suggest getting some of the natural virgin coconut oil for the flavor - it's fairly cheap at Walmart, 56 oz for $15.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 06:28

Plan: Keto
Stats: 166/166/150 Female 69
BF:
Progress:

If am recently back to forum and back to keto. Also today is the first day of IF, eating from 11a-7p. So if I make coffee with 3tbsp of heavy cream and 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, that isn't fasting or conducive to my weight loss goal or Keto plan? I have 12-15lbs to lose. 167.4lbs this am , goal is 150-155.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 08:16
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I really hate the taste of coconut, so MCT oil is a better match for me in bpc. Love butter in my coffee. I use a large mason jar and a tiny hand frother for mixing. I tried the other methods and only burned myself.

Remember that your body will use consumed fat for energy before stored fat.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-17, 05:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbald
If am recently back to forum and back to keto. Also today is the first day of IF, eating from 11a-7p. So if I make coffee with 3tbsp of heavy cream and 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, that isn't fasting or conducive to my weight loss goal or Keto plan? I have 12-15lbs to lose. 167.4lbs this am , goal is 150-155.

No, it is not fasting even by Dr Fung's allowed amounts of fats during a fast, especially since you are eating too. That said, some people can consume that much fat during the fast and lose weight.
This article may help you decide what is best for you:
Who needs to avoid BPC. https://idmprogram.com/who-needs-to...-bombs-and-bpc/
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-17, 07:44

Plan: Keto
Stats: 166/166/150 Female 69
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
No, it is not fasting even by Dr Fung's allowed amounts of fats during a fast, especially since you are eating too. That said, some people can consume that much fat during the fast and lose weight.
This article may help you decide what is best for you:
Who needs to avoid BPC. https://idmprogram.com/who-needs-to...-bombs-and-bpc/

Thank you for your response. I won't call what I am doing a "fast " then. The coconut oil has health benefits so I would use it anyway. I enjoy it in my coffee.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-17, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 340/338/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Drink it many days a week, but not all. Usually 1 cup.

Over the years I've used BPC I've kind of adopted a "less is more" approach to the grass fed butter, often using less than a tablespoon. I definitely prefer MCT oil, or Asprey's Brain Octane branded MCT oil to straight up coconut oil in BPC but if I don't have any on hand I do like to use coconut milk/cream from a can. Sometimes I prefer that in my coffee to the butter.

I'd say I get about 100-200 calories from my coffee on a regular basis.

I also like to add in other stuff like cinnamon, cardamon powder, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Usually just the cinnamon and cardamon though.

Mark Sisson makes a strong case for egg yolk coffee or "Primal Coffee" as he puts it. He feels that as good as grass fed butter is, pastured eggs are a better source of fat and nutrients. Here's link to that. https://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/

I like the egg yolk coffee as an alternative to the butter, but it's way less convenient to crack open eggs and temper the yolks so they don't scramble, on a regular basis.

There have been some periods where I'll drink multiple cups of BPC, getting anywhere from 400-700 calories from the fat, but those are usually days when I don't eat much else as it does curb my appetite significantly.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-17, 10:21

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i only make bulletproof coffee if i run out of coconut milk, i just can't drink my coffee black

i make my own mayo, so i've been putting the mct oil into that as part of the oil. i don't know if i'll bother buying any more mct when this bottle is finished, i think we eat enough coconut oil (in coconut milk--we're dairy free, so we use coconut milk instead) to get the mcts for brain health and whatnot from that.

i also want to second what everybody else is saying about watching fat intake. if you're eating lots of extra fat then your body will consume that before eating up your own body stores of fat.