Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-18, 03:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you started reading back in Jan 2016 (that is only one post about every 3 weeks to summarize 30 years of his work on CVD) , it is well worth anybody's time, because he has more clue than 99% of Cardiologists.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-21, 06:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

FIVE years later, Dr Malcolm Kendrick's book has been published!!

The Clot Thickens, the enduring mystery of heart disease

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/?blogsub=flooded

This post was today's newsletter, with his basic thought process laid out in the book. As most previous blog posts, very long and thorough.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-21, 07:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
FIVE years later, Dr Malcolm Kendrick's book has been published!!

The Clot Thickens, the enduring mystery of heart disease

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/?blogsub=flooded

This post was today's newsletter, with his basic thought process laid out in the book. As most previous blog posts, very long and thorough.

Good news. I love the following quote:
Quote:
Many years ago, the French mathematician and science philosopher Henri Poincaré stated the following, which I find describes the situation almost perfectly. ‘Science is built of facts, as a house is with stone. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house.’

As the lipid hypothesis continues to be thought of as the Holy Grail by the majority of the medical community as the cause of CVD, it's comforting to know that this book is available with an alternative view. Ordering it right away.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-21, 07:27

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Malcolm Kendrick is one of my heroes, a person who thinks for themselves and is not afraid to put himself out there with his views. I am probably going to have to buy the book although I suspect I am too cognitively lazy to appreciate the fine details.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-21, 08:53

BF:

Started reading The Clot Thickens yesterday. It's a good read so far, as Malcolm's style is laden with humor, much of it self-deprecating. I'll post in more detail once I've finished.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-21, 12:00

BF:

Finished reading The Clot Thickens this morning. For anyone curious or concerned due to symptoms or personal experiences with CVD, I highly recommend this book. It's an easy read despite covering some technical detail. He starts Part 1 of the book identifying an alternative hypothesis to the cholesterol hypothesis, the dominant view of CVD risk and cause so prevalent today.

The competitor is the thrombogenic hypothesis view identifying blood clots and blood clotting as the primary process causing CVD. Dr. Kendrick takes an interesting approach where he describes the process of the formation of arterial plaques by blood clots and provides proof at a detailed level where anyone can understand the process. You don't require years of biology and understanding of CHD/CVD. He walks through this explanation and touches on some things familiar to many researching and following a low-carb approach. Throughout he compares the competing hypotheses and details where the cholesterol hypothesis falls apart. Much of it is due to inaccurate assumptions and the inability of today's "experts" with the forceful presence and influence of pharma to truly confirm why LDL is not capable of starting or contributing to arterial plaque formation and why blood clots are.

Providing all the details one needs to understand the premise, by the end of the book, you'll have a detailed understand about how CVD is caused with recommendations on how to slow it or stop it. It's a quick read and he keeps it lighthearted, which is tough with a deadly serious topic.

One of the realizations I had after reading the book was related to the CAC discussions we've had on this forum. I can now understand why calcium is present where plaques occur, and I believe the book provides sound guidelines for controlling further damage. It also reinforces many of the lifestyle behaviors we discuss related to WOE.