Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-15, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: modified S.B./Semi-Veggie
Stats: 206/153/145 Female 64 "
BF:too much to count
Progress: 87%
Red face Returning to veggies

Hi all fellow veggie lover's,
I'm a former ovo-lacto vegetarian years ago who started eating meat when I married my meat loving carb chowing hubby. I became low carb a few months ago and now am about 5-7 lbs. from goal weight. I try to keep my carbs at 50-75 a day. I also since I'm so close to goal reduced my fat level some. I'm 55 and pretty inactive but do walk my 3 dogs a few times a day for exercise. I'm kind of inactive due to hip pain looking at hip replacement soon, I do as much as pain will allow. I take steroid shots every 6 months to help controlled it and could do them more often but choose not to. I want to give up eating meat, except for fish a few times a month. My family thinks I'm nuts since we raise beef cattle on our ranch and I refuse to eat our grass fed beef. It's just impossible for me to bottle feed a calf due to mommy dying or getting ill and watching it grow up and knowing one day it will be dinner. I just can't. Call me crazy, but I love animals. Anyway, this past weekend I made the choice to go meatless ( except for occasional fish and shrimp). For my protein I eat cheese, drink low carb high protein ( 30 grams), greek yogurt, eggs, nuts, cottage cheese and my favorite peanut butter. I hate the taste of tofu and fake meats, refuse to eat soy if I can avoid it. I know I'm a fussy eater... it's been ages since I ate this way is there a protein I'm forgetting ? Over the weekend my breakfast was a protein shake and some stir- fried peppers,onions,mushrooms and spinach with a little salsa on top, lunch was a Greek yogurt with some sunflower seeds and about 1/4 c of raspberries mixed in and dinner was a bust ( I wanted pasta ) I kept it a 1/3 c serving of whole wheat with added protein and omega 3. I put Alfredo sauce on top and had a small serving of carrots with it . Pasta isn't something I will eat regularly but maybe once in awhile. I probably exceeded my carb count yesterday, but when I weighed I didn't gain any water weight which was good and had no cravings for other foods so it was all good. I even got my husband to try a meatless meal, he wasn't crazy about it but he ate it. Any suggestions on other types of proteins I'm forgetting please advise. Like I said it's been years since I've ate this way and I'm a bit rusty. Thanks !
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-15, 23:24
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb /CAD/Veg(ish)
Stats: 192/185/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Vegatarian Protein Ideas

Sorry that this forum isn't more active, so this is a bit late, but cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, Greek yogurt, whey or other protein powder, nuts and seeds are all staples of my low carb veggie plan. I do eat organic tofu as well as the soymeat products (although I don't feel good about that since I know soy isn't the best health choice).

There are a lot of creative ways to use the protein. I don't do high protein either so a protein shake and some cheese/yogurt, eggs, etc.in a recipe is usually enough for me. Read through some of the other threads and you'll get some meal plan ideas if you're still looking. Someone mentioned Quorn products made from fungi.

Some of my favorites meals are cheese chips as a base for artichoke dip, guacamole, or homemade tapenade (super easy), taco salad (I do use veggie burger but you could use a bit of bean for a moderate carb meal). Low carb wraps for "sandwiches" and quesadillas, omelettes, frittatas, and cauliflower casserole with lots of cheesy-ness.

Also, one site I found http://www.djfoodie.com/ has excellent veg dishes included.

Good luck!

Last edited by ccotta : Sat, Jul-25-15 at 23:32.