Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 07:23
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 128/128/122 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

oh geez that sucks i dont want my metabolism any faster...i wanted it to help my symptoms...i have to try to eat all the time to not lose so much weight since i started eating healthy...everyone keeps making comments that im eating all the time etc...but i have to and i keep losing weight...ive lost 8 lbs in three weeks and im already thin so now im 5'7 and 127. I was able to be 135 eating tons of junk all the time...meaning fast foods candies icecream...but it messed up my hormones so much...now im really paying the price...i just pray i find something to stop my symptoms from getting worse!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 16:37

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Don't let people fool you here, hair loss more often than not is because you are not getting enough protien. I had PCOS, still have PCOS, and I followed TSP as well as I could, now some people may need to drop the carbs lower, but the whole reason for TSP is to balance your hormones, that is not something that happens overnight, it can take awhile, a long while to do that. To produce good hormones you need a proper balance of protien and fats, because that is what makes hormones and doesn't waste what you are eating. but my guess is you need more fat and protien than what you get on the zone, because the zone is higher carb than what you may need. I have looked at the zone and it is good, but for PCOS it still maybe too high carb, and not enough protein and fat. I agree get a good doctor, that is what helpled me, he encouraged me to look for a LC program, put me on Glucophage and the pill, and now I'm expecting my 4th baby, this pregnancy and the last one are the only two pregnancies that I didn't have to do anything to help me get pregnant, when I have been infertile for years. I was doing TSP. Really find out why you are doing what you are doing and why.
Tanya
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 16:39

As for food combining that is not a good thing to do with PCOS because IR is such a factor, you can't do a carb alone period, it shoots up BS way to fast and effects insulin, avoid fruits if you can. BIG time problem for PCOS.
Tanya
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Tigersue we share the same name Anyways this way of eating is so frustrating....im sure my insulin levels r so out of wack....i am trying to quit coffee (drink it plain w fake sugar) which i know is HORRIBLE FOR U! and cigs (smoke like 2 a day...used to be a pack...which is even worse for u...and trying to figure out the best plans for me...im just scared to up my meat intake too much bc on south beach diet i broke out ssssooooo BAD in SEVERE ACNE...im sure it was all the dairy and nuts..which i dont normally eat...but its made me so scared of meats..now i only eat fish and chicken...bc i have read...that red meat, pork, and eggs are bad for ur acne....i just wish i knew what exactly to eat that wont effect me bad and help me get better...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 16:45

Plan: FOOD combining with LC
Stats: -/-/140 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress:

qwert123, has your metabolism always been fast? maybe get thyroid checked. which hormones are out of whack? from what i understand, progesterone is the youth hormone: supple soft skin, hair, keeps things lifted that need to be, hightened blood sugar stability/insulin sensitivity, etc. Estrogen: increases belly flab, boob size, increased sag, etc. So, if you are losing too much I'd check progesterone and thyroid levels. Maybe add some more whole grains to diet (gradually and not much) such as oats, brown rice, nut/grain breads. I say gradually, because once your metabolism is stoked in some people it just keeps running and running and it seems like you're losing too much and can't stop it. Then it stops bcse you eat some less good stuff and the weight stops moving down and moves up (eventually). Then it seems like you can't restart it (this has been my problem). So basically, be patient and make minor adjustments to avoid a backlash.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 07:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Newdawnfad, Yes my metabolism has always been fast...I have no idea about my hormones...to give u an idea of my body type, im 5'7 and 127 lbs...and my boobs r 34 C (is this bc of estrogen??) When i gain weight its always to my tummy first...and face...I lose first on my legs..Im still not perfect on my diet..meaning maybe that is why im stilll having slight problem w other symptoms. Truthfully I wonder if this whole thing started bc of stress. I was PERFECTLY fine all the way untilage 18...in fact...my face was CLEAR!! Then i went through a time where i was eating so much junk and being stressed all the time and depressed (I dont know why) and then my acne started...every thing has slowly gone down hill from there until now where im 22....in fact im more thin now then at that age! I was 135 at that point! I wonder if for some people stress could triggor all these bad reactions? All I know is that it is so frustrating and i cant understand whats wrong w me and why it wont fix? I have no idea what I can eat bc im afraid about getting outbreak from it...its horrible. In fact I just got an outbreak of acne bc i accidently had flaxseeds (it was in this muslei i ate for three days straight!!) I didnt realize i until i read ingrediants bc i broke out...and its so frustrating bc every time my face starts to clear i break out again...its a horrible cycle...i am giving up my coffee and smoking today (I know HORRIBLE!!!) I used to smoke a pack a day for 2 years! Then cut down to 10...then for one month 5 and today NO MORE....that could have also made me worse...along w my bad coffee habbit (only one a day) starting a year ago...perhaps thats why my symptoms just keep getting worse???
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 07:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

oh and by the way...once i got my thyroid checked and they said to come back in a year bc it is on the S L O W side!!! I could not believe it!!! Bc at that time i was eating way worse then now....like fast food, 3 chocolate bars a day, at least 5 meals a day (one which would be at 1am at night right before i went to bed) LIKE A TON.....so i didnt understand and i was not exercising...so weird but i went back this summer and they said everything is normal...so i dont knwo...
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 15:25

BF:
Progress:

Are you worried about the weight not stabilizing? Add some brown rice. I never heard of flax causing outbreak since it actually regulates hormones. I'd get my female hormones checked. Was there sugar in the muesli? If so that may be it.. or the flax was rancid. Rancid oils are toxins. What are your testosterone levels like? That may be off too.

Habitual caffeine can cause unnecessary stress on your body. I drink decaf cappuccino/latte. Can't taste a difference most of the time. I'd try a multi like biochem or country life's 'well-max'. It has some stuff in it like astragalus that 'll even the playing field. Vit C & Vit A & B vitamin(g)s are good for adrenal health too.

Oh, also do you do arobics? If you do a lot, maybe mix with some yoga or walking or kickboxing. Arobics can make you really slim.

Hope that helps
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 15:29

BF:
Progress:

Organic coffee & lose the cigarettes!!!!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 15:47

BF:
Progress:
Default Re Tiger Sue's msg: It's *what* you combine that can be bad not combining in general.

To say food combining is bad is rediculous. We all combine foods every day. I'm suggesting combine a different way.

You have to watch the ratios of carbs to non-carbs (obviously). In other words don't eat a plate full of brown rice and one brocolli spear. I never said that and that's obviously wrong.

Food combining is not bad for PCOS. Junk is Junk and if you combine junk it will still be junk. Everyone, including PCOS folks, need fruit and need grains. That's a fact. What you chose is what can be bad.

No one is saying eat white rice with green peas (2 major starchy foods). I am saying combine steamed brocolli, onions (which are good for insulin regulation), garlic, green peppers, bok choy cabbage, soy sauce and some brown rice. You still have to use your brain.

Fruits are not all equal on the glycemic index. A plum is very good for a PCOSer and low carb. Not as low carb as the synthetic food marketed as low carb but fruits have nutrients you simply can't replace. Blackberries are high in fiber and also very low glycemic. Most berries are safe for PCOSers to eat. Granny smith apples are okay for us too.

Learn about food and open your mind to understanding that PCOS is a modern illness brought about by FAKE FOOD, hurried, stressed lives and the pyramid scheme diet.

Also, many modern diets are defficient in Chromium. I take 1000mg/day of a good brand. Chromium can seriously help diabetics and PCOSers. Read up on it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdawnfad
Learn about food and open your mind to understanding that PCOS is a modern illness brought about by FAKE FOOD, hurried, stressed lives and the pyramid scheme diet.

Excuse me are you trying to tell me that I have not read on PCOS. I have had this since I was 13 years old, and now I'm 39. I have read and studied. That is why I do TSP. She talks heavily about being sure not to eat a carb without a protien and visa/versa because of the stress on the adrenal glands. Now I don't think food combining is bad, but I don't think it is as good for someone with PCOS because this is more than just an ovary problem.
I am not some stupid idot, that doesn't understand things. I happen to be a nurse, and I have done LC now for 3years or so. I have read many programs, and I don't have a problem with people doing what works for them, but if someone has a problem with healing this disease it can be something as simple as not eating a carb alone with out a protien and visa/versa.
We don't need fruit and we don't always need grains although I love my berries and grapefruit, (the lowest glycemic fruits, I have to stay away from pretty much anything else because my BS can't take it), and I do like a bit of whole grain cereal from time to time. Add extra magnesium to your supplements to help with constipation, and adjust the calcium and mag to a good balance. Increase the vegetable intake particularily raw veggies as they have a great deal of fiber and can help there too.
Sorry about the rant but it has been a very rough week, and my nerves are just on edge and I can tell I'm getting into 3rd trimester, so I'm just a bit touchy at the moment.
Tanya
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 20:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Newdawnfad....can u please give me an example of one day...what u eat? I just want to get an idea and what symptoms u had and how they improved
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 07:11

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I didn't read all the responses but wanted to tell my story. I have lost close to 60 pounds so far. I exercise strenously 4 - 5 days a week. I take 1500 mg. of Glucophage (metformin) daily. When I follow LC EXACTLY, my cycle is practically to the day! If I go off LC right before my period, it is about a week late.

How long have you been on Met? Maybe it's time to up the dosage?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 07:15

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I belong to a wonderful forum - (maybe you do already!) I wanted to invite you over. It's Soulcysters

It's dedicated to PCOS and there are so many wonderful people there along with tons of information.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 08:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Everyone, including PCOS folks, need fruit and need grains. That's a fact.

I disagree with this. There is nothing in sweet fruit that you can't get from vegetables, including the fruit vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, squash and avocados. We do not "need" grains. We survived for millennia without them. They can be quite detrimental to health, between their phytate content and propensity for crossing the intestinal barrier and initiating an autoimmune response. I know I personally pay the gastro-intestinal price every time I eat them.