Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 14:11
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question How do you up your good cholesteral?

I just had my blood work done and my doctor says cholesterol when from a 1.7 risk to 1.4. He then redid the math using 40 HDL instead of my 30 HDL and the risk fell to 1.0. So he wants me to raise my good cholesteral... but I have no idea how to do that because I'm not sure what it is and because of that I have no idea how to search for this info.
Can anyone help? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 15:05

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Since I'm working to raise my own HDL level I have a few tips (by the way...so far, my efforts are working). But first, here's how you go about searching for this sort of info. Go to

www.google.com

type in 'raising HDL' and spend 10 minutes looking thru all the info that comes up. Here's some of the info I found, cut n' pasted from the About.com website on heart disease.

What measures can be used to increase HDL levels?

Aerobic exercise. Many people don't like to hear it, but regular aerobic exercise (any exercise, such as walking, jogging or bike riding, that raises your heart rate for 20 - 30 minutes at a time) increases the HDL levels.

Lose weight. Obesity results not only in increased LDL cholesterol, but also in reduced HDL cholesterol. If you are overweight, reducing your weight should increase your HDL levels.

Stop smoking. If you smoke, giving up tobacco will result in an increase in HDL levels. (This is the only advantage I can think of that smokers have over non-smokers - it gives them something else to do that will raise their HDL.)

Cut out the trans fatty acids. Trans fatty acids are currently present in many of your favorite prepared foods - anything in which the nutrition label reads "partially hydrogenated vegetable oils" - so eliminating them from the diet is not a trivial task. But trans fatty acids not only increase LDL cholesterol levels, they also reduce HDL cholesterol levels. Removing them from your diet will almost certainly result in a measurable increase in HDL levels. Click here for a quick and easy review of trans fatty acids and the heart.

Alcohol. With apologies to the American Heart Association, which discourages doctors from telling their patients about the advantages of alcohol: one or two drinks per day can significantly increase HDL levels. More than one or two drinks per day, one hastens to add, can lead to substantial health problems including heart failure - and there are individuals who will develop such problems even when limiting their alcohol intake to one or two drinks per day. Click here for a quick and easy review of alcohol and the heart.

Increase the monounsaturated fats in your diet. Monounsaturated fats such as canola oil, avocado oil, or olive oil and in the fats found in peanut butter can increase HDL cholesterol levels without increasing the total cholesterol.

Add soluble fiber to your diet. Soluble fibers are found in oats, fruits, vegetables, and legumes, and result in both a reduction in LDL cholesterol and an increase HDL cholesterol. For best results, at least two servings a day should be used.

Good luck!

ETA: I should add that HDL doesn't respond to most standard cholesterol drug therapy, but Niacin has been shown to have an effect. I take a 100 mg Niacin tablet early in the day with my standard multi-vitamin, and another time-release Niacin 500 mg tablet along with a B-complex vitamin at bedtime. Niacin, one form of B vitamin, can help to raise HDL levels, but there can be side effects. Noticable skin flush (with a 'hot flash' feeling) is the main side effect I've found FOR ME. This is why I take my big pill at bedtime. I may be turning pink about 2 am, but I'll never notice it.

Before anyone begins taking niacin or any other self-medication, please do your home work. Again, good luck.

Last edited by texascarl : Tue, Jul-08-03 at 16:14.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 10:38
Everyday Sane Psycho

Texascarl, you are awesome!! Thank you so much. You gave me what I needed to at least look for what I need to know plus you gave me food for thought. I had no idea those things effected your HDL. I've lost 70lbs so far but my HDL hasn't budged. I guess I need to lose more. Thanks so much!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 11:16

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

You're welcome. Congrats on losing 70 lbs.

FWIW, for my HDL I take 2 or 3 caps of fish oil daily as well as the Niacin. I cook with Olive Oil, eat an oz. of almonds daily and what's probably most important...I exercise daily (walking + pilates & weight lifting). I follow a low-carb WOE. Every little bit helps.

Since we're on a roll here, I'll list another 'search engine' that I use & a couple of useful health/medical sites. Bookmark for next time.

http://www.dogpile.com/

http://my.webmd.com/

http://www.medicinenet.com/

Last edited by texascarl : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 11:18.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 12:00
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Also good are Vit c, Vit E, garlic, green tea, grape seed extract. Also don't use any butter replacement spreads no matter how "good" they say they are for you. Only use butter and oils.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 14:57
Everyday Sane Psycho

Zuleikaa, I take all those except the grape seed oil.
probably why I don't have 25 for my HDL
Thanks Texascarl again for those links! By the way, Its easy to remember your name, my Dad's name is Carl.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Lessara
How about the butter replacement spreads? They suppress good cholesterol and raise bad cholesterol!! I only use butter and oils!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:48
Everyday Sane Psycho

I only use butter and olive oil, coconut oil if I have it (lack of money has cause me to not buying it for the last two months)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:33

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Texascarl wrote
Quote:
Monounsaturated fats such as canola oil, avocado oil, or olive oil and in the fats found in peanut butter can increase HDL cholesterol levels without increasing the total cholesterol.

The fats in peanut butter are not monosaturated, for the most part -- they are omega-6 fatty acids. We need some of that, but too much overproduces inflammatory prostaglandins.

I'm concerned about raising my HDL, too. I just had some lab test done, a lipid panel included. The most important results are below.
Code:
Date TG HDL TGL:HDL Ratio 3/7/03 141 35 4.0 7/9/03 105 43 2.4

(article on TG/HDL ratio)

I take 2 Tb. of good-quality coconut oil daily. I eat 1/4 of an avocado (monosaturated fat) and 1/2 oz of walnuts (monosaturated and omega-6 balance) daily. I take 2 tsp. of cod liver oil daily. I take 3 g of Vit. C, and 400 mg. of Vit. E daily. I exercise (weight training 2x/wk, and treadmill 2x/wk).

Given that I've dropped 55 lbs, are these improvements consistent with what others have experienced? I would have thought that my TG levels would have dropped more, and my HDL gone up more.