Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 13:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Lightbulb The Perfect Lowcarb Ice cream

After years of experimentation, I have finally come up with what my DH and I consider the perfect recipe. I tried adding xanthan gum to stabilize the ice cream and avoid ice crystals, but I never succeeded in making ice cream that did not turn rock hard in the freezer. Then I found Ben and Jerry's ice cream book, added my own twist to the basic recipe and now my ice cream is indescribably rich and creamy and does not turn into a glacier in the freezer, even after a week!
Note: you will need an ice cream maker for this.

The ingredients for the base for a quart of ice cream are:

2 eggs
1 cup light cream
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 cup vodka (or bourbon, rum, etc.)
the equivalent of 3/4 cup of sugar - I use pure liquid sucralose, to cut the carbs as low as possible

Beat the eggs with the sweetener until they are light in color and thicken a bit.

Heat the light cream to simmer, pour it slowly into the eggs while beating.

Pour back into the pan, add the xanthan gum and heat, stirring or whisking constantly over low heat until it thickens a bit. Do not allow to boil or you will wind up with scrambled eggs. You can heat it to a higher temperature if you want to make sure the eggs are cooked enough.

When you are done cooking, pour the mixture through a sieve into a large bowl. Allow to cool a bit, then stash in the refrigerator until it is good and cold: I usually let it stay overnight.

When you are ready to make the ice cream, add the heavy cream and the vodka to the base, stir well, pour into the ice cream maker, and churn away.

When the ice cream is done, I store it in 1/2 cup servings in small containers for convenience, and the ice cream never becomes so hard that you can't eat it right from the freezer - in the past I have had to soften it in the microwave before a spoon would make a even a dent in it.

The total number of carb grams in the base is 23.2, which makes each of the eight 1/2 cup servings 2.9 grams each.

Of course, you can add whatever you want to the base - for vanilla you could add 2 tsp of vanilla, which wouldn't change the carb count. I made Mocha by adding 4 tsp unsweetened cocoa and 2 T freeze dried coffee, which was soooo delicious and had a total of 26.2 grams of carbs or just under 3.3 grams per serving. That what I call a low carb dessert!

The last bit of the puzzle was that most ice cream recipes call for 2 cups milk and 1 cup heavy cream, while Ben and Jerry's has 1 cup of milk and 2 cups of heavy cream. Of course, being a good low carber, I used light cream instead of the milk, but the point is that it is the higher fat content, when combined with the xanthan gum and the vodka that makes a really creamy ice cream that does not develop ice crystals or become too hard.

I may not have invented the light bulb, but I was really excited the first time I made this!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 14:57
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

I made some"apple crisp" yesterday and was thinking it would be awesome with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.....Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 18:40

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

thanks for sharing, this is what I have for a treat!

Home-Made Strawberry Ice cream
• ½ cup HWC
• ½ cup frozen strawberries (70grams)
• 1-2 packets splenda, truvia (or other non-calorie, non-sugar sweenter)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla (or you can use raw vanilla bean)

NOTE: I use frozen strawberries: I thaw them a bit (weight them to assure serving size) and re-freeze.

1. Cut strawberries into small bits, place in freezer for about an hour. It works best if you have a little metal bowl or ceramic bowl. (I use a small coffee mug)

2. Measure ½ cup HWC and add vanilla and sweetener

3. Add HWC mixture to the frozen strawberries: stir, scrape, and fold quickly! (Ice crystals will form immediately, and if you keep stirring for about 1 minute, you will get a nice, frothy (milkshake-like consistency). Of course, you can eat it as is, although liquidy...

4. Place in freezer for an hour (or more)

5. Eat and enjoy!

Carbs: 6.5/Fiber: 5/Net Carbs = 1.5
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
I made some"apple crisp" yesterday and was thinking it would be awesome with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.....Thanks!

hi Becky - pleae do share your LC recipe for apple crisp!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 21:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Juliaca201,

It's probably something obvious, but I can't figure out what HWC is! Translation, please!

And, becky7474 I can't imagine low carb apple crisp, but then I can barely remember what real apple crisp tastes like - sheesh!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 21:49

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thank you for posting this! That seems like a lot of alcohol...what is it for?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 01:45
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

HWC heavy whipping cream
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 04:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Alcohol acts like anti-freeze in ice cream, you can find discussions on-line of various ratios of alcohol, sugar and salt needed to get it to freeze but not become rock hard.

Thanks to Karla for doing all the experimenting for us! Sounds yummy..I may finally beak down and buy a machine. For the past two years, I made instant gratification ice cream by putting frozen berries in a food processor and adding heavy cream until it was smooth like soft custard ice cream. A touch of DaVinci Raspberry SF if needed.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 07:13
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaca201
hi Becky - pleae do share your LC recipe for apple crisp!

The recipe is from Beeb on another forum. She doesn't give exact measurements on anything, but I ended up with a good crisp that tastes even better the next day. I used zucchini, but you can use any mild flavored squash.

Apple Crisp" Using Patty Pan Squash! by Beeb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, that is what I did! I had 2 patty pan squash I had to use so I peeled, seeded and sliced and then simmered them on the store with a bit of water, cinnamon, sweetener, and butter until they got almost soft and the mixture thickened some.

Made a topping of almond flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 2 tbs oatmeal (omit if you like), cinnamon, melted butter, a bit of cream, and sweetener until it looked like a crumbly type of dough, put this on top of a butter dish containing the patty pan squash mixture and then in the oven until it was bubbly and the topping was done (looks hard when done).

MAN was this good and LC friendly!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 18:19

thanks, Becky! can't wait to try...

Karla HWC = Heavy Whipping Cream [whole cream].....makes such a decadent ice cream, very rich...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 19:09

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Thanks for the recipe! Now to get an ice cream maker!

I sub frozen blueberries (nuked 30 seconds) with cream poured over for ice cream...but would like to try your recipe to cut the carbs. I just put one drop of Sweetzfree in the cream and stir the whole thing up. It's yum.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
Thanks for the recipe! Now to get an ice cream maker!

blue berries work well for (almost) instant ice cream, b/c of how cold they are from the freezer ....they cream crystallize almost instantly...yummy...I have to pace myself, b/c I want it every night, but don't want to go overboard with the fructose/fruit!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 05:28

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I got inspired to try some home made ice cream the other day. I used 1/3 cup frozen blackberries, 1 cup HWC, and 3 packets of stevia with erythritol.

I just poured the cream over the black berries and then stirred in the sweetener. It started to thicken up almost immediately. I put it in the freezer for an hour or so, stirring it a couple of times. It got to be the consistency of a milk shake before I broke down and ate it.

10.7 net carbs according to my count. 4 in the berries and 6.7 in the cream.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 05:33

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaca201
thanks for sharing, this is what I have for a treat!

Home-Made Strawberry Ice cream
• ½ cup HWC
• ½ cup frozen strawberries (70grams)
• 1-2 packets splenda, truvia (or other non-calorie, non-sugar sweenter)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla (or you can use raw vanilla bean)

NOTE: I use frozen strawberries: I thaw them a bit (weight them to assure serving size) and re-freeze.

1. Cut strawberries into small bits, place in freezer for about an hour. It works best if you have a little metal bowl or ceramic bowl. (I use a small coffee mug)

2. Measure ½ cup HWC and add vanilla and sweetener

3. Add HWC mixture to the frozen strawberries: stir, scrape, and fold quickly! (Ice crystals will form immediately, and if you keep stirring for about 1 minute, you will get a nice, frothy (milkshake-like consistency). Of course, you can eat it as is, although liquidy...

4. Place in freezer for an hour (or more)

5. Eat and enjoy!

Carbs: 6.5/Fiber: 5/Net Carbs = 1.5

just curious about the carb count. according to my information HWC would be 3.4 carbs per 1/2 cup, and 1/2 cup of strawberries would be 8 carbs.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 05:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Saw an ice cream maker at Goodwill yesterday...thought it was missing some parts, but when I checked on Amazon...that's just the way it works. Looks simple enough... Hope it is still there when I return.

Recipe without an Ice Cream Maker:

Fruit Ice Cream
Serves:2, Prep Time: 1 minute
Ingredients:
1 Cup Frozen Berries (or peaches, any fruit frozen)
1/3-1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
Sweetener (as you like) I use Raspberry DaVinci SF syrup to intensify the berry flavor.
How to Prepare: Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender till very smooth.
Voila! Delicious ice cream of the soft, frozen custard type.