Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 05:52

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

Okay Easter is soon be upon us and tempation is gonna be there. For a quick guilt free treat why not try some of these.. I've made them time and time again and I'm sure you will get hooked like I did. ENJOY

1 square unsweetened baking chocolate
1 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp butter
1 small pkg splenda artificial sweetener

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese (not light)
1 lrg. box of sugar free jello

Mix the cream cheese and jello together. Form into 1/2 inch balls. Chill for about 10 minutes.

I've tried the cherry flavoured and it's like eating chocolate covered cherries.

Melt the chocolate, margarine, heavy cream and artificial sweetener together. Dip cream cheese balls in chocolate and rechill for 1/2 hour. mmmmmm delicious for those chocolate cravings.

.33 grams of carbs per ball.
24 chocolates
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 06:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%
Thumbs up

Oh my, gotta try those...LOL

Thanks, Wendy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-01, 00:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up hmmmmm yum

Great idea for the filling; I've been thinking up all kinds of complicated stuff that probably wouldn't work very well for the simple chocolate filling. This is *great*.

I have a different [secret until now !8-] recipe that works great for a firmer chocolate coating and makes a spectactular crackling glaze on frozen homemade ice cream, too.

1 ounce pure cocoa butter, food grade (from the Health Food Store)
1 ounce dark cocoa powder, unsweetened Dutch Process (Fry's is excellent)
1/8 tsp white stevia powder

Ensure all bowls, spoons and whisks are completely dry. Melt the cocoa butter in a heat proof bowl at low power 40-50% in the microwave; may take a few minutes. Sift the cocoa powder and stevia in another small bowl.

Carefully remove the cocoa butter from the microwave and set on a potholder or teatowel (bowl and cocoa butter will be quite hot). Slowly whisk the cocoapower mixture into the cocoa butter until smooth.

Dip whatever you want in the liquid chocolate and put aside to set (I use a sheet of baking parchment or a teflon pan liner). Can put in the freezer for a few minutes if desired. OR spoon/drizzle 2-3 tbsp over some LC ice cream.

PS: I use this to coat my 'homemade' protein bars.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-01, 04:50

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%

hey thanks joanne!!!!!......i'm a candy maker and this sounds like GREAT one!!!!!!.........gonna give it a whirl!!!!!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 01:08

Plan:
Stats: //120
BF:
Progress:

these sound wonderful! just one quick question, do you mix the cream cheese with the DRY jello mix or do you prepare the jello according to directions on the box? I cant wait to make these!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 12:53

BF:

Mix with the dry jello mix
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-09-01, 04:21

BF:
Default splenda measurement

i have all of my ingredients......but how much is "one small package of splenda......a tsp??????........a tbsp?????
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-09-01, 05:19

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

I buy my Splenda in a box...it says 1 tsp. sweetens like 1 teaspoon of sugar. I would probably use 1-2 tsp... (Sorry when I started answering this, I thought I knew the correct answer, but I think it's too early in the morning!! and I'm not feeling sure now!)

Someone who buys the small pkgs... will have a definitely answer.

Last edited by Sharon : Wed, May-09-01 at 05:24.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-09-01, 09:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

The standard sweetness for the little individual paper packets of sweetener is -- one packet equals the sweetness of 2 tsp of sugar. This is true for all, beause I've checked .. .. so Equal, Splenda, SugarTwin, NoName ... doesn't matter what is the actual measure of powder within the packet. Just remember, the whole packet gives equivalent sweetness to 2 tsp.

For the granular sweeteners which come bulk in a box or jar, these have been fluffed up with fillers (usually maltodextrin) to measure exactly spoon-for-spoon as sugar.

Note also, for Splenda, the carb count is the same whether you use the bulk granular stuff, or the little packets. For example ...

If your recipe calls for sweetener to equal 1 cup of sugar, you would use 1 cup of the bulk granular Splenda. According to the box, one tsp (5 ml) of the bulk product has 0.5 carbs. There are 48 tsp per cup (yes, I double-checked this) so 48 x 0.5 = 24 carbs for the 1 cup measure.

With the little paper packets, each packet = 2 tsp of sweetness. So, to get equivalent to 1 cup, you would use 24 packets (24 x 2 tsp = 48) Right? According to the box, each packet has 1 carb gram. Therefore, 24 packets = 24 carbs.

Don't worry about the actual tsp. measure of the little packets. They are much more concentrated, so only a tiny amount of powder to give the same sweet taste. Just count the # of packets, and you'll be fine.

To calculate the reverse, ie, your recipe calls for 6 packets of Splenda, and you have the bulk granular stuff ----- remember that 6 packets = 12 tsp. sweetness. So, you'd use 12 tsp (or 4 Tbsp) of the granular.

hope this helps ..

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-27-01, 21:55

BF:

SHEESH I'm late in seeing this.. I only use one teaspoon of splenda.. I only buy in the boxes as well.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-28-01, 02:12

BF:

how did everyone coat their centers??....i had a difficult time doing it with the amount of chocolate the recipe called for...also...i had to double up on the splenda....still too bitter with 1!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-28-01, 05:15

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default chocolate

Me too, I didn't have enough chocolate and it was hard to cover up the centres....I only made these once....BUT they are GOOD. Next time I try I'm going to make them in a small pan...then the chocolate can be spread. A delightful treat for a special occasion.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-28-01, 06:00

BF:

oh sharon---i have to agree with you...i gobbled mine up!!!! they are delicious!!!!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-28-01, 21:01

BF:

I stuck a toothpick in mine and then tilted the pot a bit and just dipped the centers in quickly...
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-29-01, 04:52

BF:

did the tilt thing too...that's common sense....to meager of a level to coat completely