Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 20:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default PMS Pie

This is a conglomeration of several recipes when I couldn't decide which one to make. It is guaranteed to satisfy any PMS craving and also guaranteed to please male gluttony! I wanted cheesecake, peanutbutter, chocolate and mocha, so I came up with this:

The base is bawdy wench's cheesecake plus a mocha swirl. Then a layer of peanutbutter pie, and a dark chocolate layer.

Start by making any LC nut crust in a springform pan. I like ground pecans and a little butter, baked ~ ~350 for a few minutes untill just browned.

Mocha Swirl Cheesecake layer:
Batter:
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup Splenda (or SF syrup like caramel :yum
16 ounces cream cheese (2 packages, softened)
2 Tbsp melted butter
Swirl:
1 square unsweetened baking chocolate
3Tb instant coffee
3TB hot water
2TB splenda

Peanutbutter layer:
4oz cream cheese softened
5Tb peanutbutter melted in micro
1/3c splenda

Chocolate layer:
1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup splenda -- or Equal Spoonful
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons chocolate extract
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream

Beat together eggs, vanilla, sour cream and splenda untill combined. Slowly add the cream cheese and melted butter. Pour 3/4 of batter over crust.

Chop baking chocolate into shavings. Mix the instant coffee with the boiling water and splenda, add to chocolate shavings. Nuke for a few seconds to melt chocolate completely if necessary. Add coffee-chocolate mixture to remaining batter and mix completely. Spoon mocha batter over plain batter and swirl gently w/butter knife, be careful not to damage crust at bottom.

Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. It won't look quite done, but it does firm up as it cools and has been in the fridge. To help keep the top from cracking, I place a pie tin filled with water on the shelf below to keep the heat moist.

Meanwhile, prepare peanut butter and chocolate layers:
For pb layer simply mix all three ingredients in small bowl untill thoroughly combined.
For chocolate layer: Melt chocolate in microwave, stir in sweetener and extracts. Beat melted chocolate mixture with the ricotta and cream.

When cake comes out of the oven alow it to cool (can put in frige or freezer). When the cake is no longer hot spread pb mixture on top (easiest if the pb mixture is a little warm). Refrigerate again to let pb firm up a little (it won't be solid, just the consistency of pb/creamcheese since that's all thats in it.) Then smooth chocolate layer on top gently.

Serve cold with whipped cream.

I know this desert is a lot of trouble with all the layers, but I'm going to freeze small portions of this to be ready when killer cravings hit, I swear it will cure any craving immaginable for me! I hope you enjoy!

Last edited by jamian : Sun, Nov-21-04 at 20:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 00:35

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

WOW!! I'm surprised noone has commented on this yet. While I haven't tried this yet (don't have all the ingredients), I think it's going to become REALLY popular around here...certainly covers all the bases! Does it freeze well? Because it could be dangerous...what a great idea though to make a dessert that uses all the expensive ingredients at once! (Butter, Cream, etc...I can't justify using so much to my wallet when making 3 different recipies, but this one is and 3-in-one!)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 04:13

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jamian...i know you'll appreciate this question!!! But do you have the fitday figures for this!!?
Sounds like a keeper
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 08:39

BF:

I haven't had a chance to tally it up yet, but it really shouldn't be bad. The base is bawdy's recipe, same portions and everything, just a little coffee, chocolate and extra sweetener in the swirl. Then pb, cream cheese, ricotta, chocolate, cream, and sweetener on top, might add ~2 carbs/slice. I'll tally it up soon, but now I'm late for work

I don't know if it freezes well, I sure hope it does 'cause like you said, it's dangerous! I'm making it on Wed for TG so I'll try freezing a slice when we dig into it (I won't wait for there to be leftovers, cause my family LOVES cheesecake!)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 08:43
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Holy cow Jamian! <drools> Can't wait to try this!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 11:16

BF:

Okay, I come out to about 7 carbs/slice if you make 10 slices. I got 72 carbs for the whole thing using liquid syrup rather than powdered splenda for the cheesecake layer. It will also depend on what brands of things you use as different pbs, ricottas, sour creams have slightly different carb counts. No way am I going to figure out the calories in this! This is for times when you don't care about calories!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 21:04

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:

who cares about calories!!!...if its low carb and tastes good AND its cheesecake..... Mmmmmmmm
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 20:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm making this for TG too. Your description and name is hilarious!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 22:41

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

Jamian
Recipe printed.
Cant wait to try it!!!! Ill wait till I have company, so I wont have to "sacrifice" myself and eat the whole thing up!!

Beebuzz
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 13:09
Experimenter

BF:

I'm putting a touch of molasses (about 1/2 a TBL) in the pecan crust. I think it'll give it a nice praline flavor to the crust at the cost of about 7 additional carbs for the entire thing.

I'll let you all know how it came out after tomorrow. *drool*

This thing is going to be enormous. I'm thinking I can probably get 16 servings out of it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 18:58
Experimenter

BF:

Well, this was a hit! I cut the pie into 16 slices. Really, its so big and rich you really didn't want to eat more than that.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 01:30
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 110/110/&;100 Female 152 cm
BF:

Hi, This sound so delish!!! My Mastercooks says 4 netcarb per serving not too bad.

thanks for sharing this recipe..i have to check them out soon.

* Exported from MasterCook *

PMS pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 whole eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon liquid splenda
16 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 piece unsweetened baking chocolate square
1/4 teaspoon liquid splenda
3 Tablespoons instant coffee granules
3 Tablespoons hot water
4 ounces cream cheese
5 Tablespoons peanut butter
1 1/4 teaspoons liquid splenda
1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
2 Tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon splenda
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons chocolate extract
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream

mocha swirl cheesecake layer: item 1-10

Beat together eggs, vanilla, sour cream and splenda untill combined. Slowly add the cream cheese and melted butter. Pour 3/4 of batter over crust.

Chop baking chocolate into shavings. Mix the instant coffee with the boiling water and splenda, add to chocolate shavings. Nuke for a few seconds to melt chocolate completely if necessary. Add coffee-chocolate mixture to remaining batter and mix completely. Spoon mocha batter over plain batter and swirl gently w/butter knife, be careful not to damage crust at bottom.

Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. It won't look quite done, but it does firm up as it cools and has been in the fridge. To help keep the top from cracking, I place a pie tin filled with water on the shelf below to keep the heat moist.

item 11-13 for PB layer, item 15-20 for chocolate layer

Meanwhile, prepare peanut butter and chocolate layers:
For pb layer simply mix all three ingredients in small bowl untill thoroughly combined.
For chocolate layer: Melt chocolate in microwave, stir in sweetener and extracts. Beat melted chocolate mixture with the ricotta and cream.

When cake comes out of the oven alow it to cool (can put in frige or freezer). When the cake is no longer hot spread pb mixture on top (easiest if the pb mixture is a little warm). Refrigerate again to let pb firm up a little (it won't be solid, just the consistency of pb/creamcheese since that's all thats in it.) Then smooth chocolate layer on top gently.

Description:
"layer dessert"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 290 Calories; 28g Fat (83.6% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 91mg Cholesterol; 188mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 18:40
Experimenter

BF:

I put it into my mastercook with the sweetener equivalents for those that don't have the liquid splenda. Also, my best guess at my crust is in there too.

With the pecan crust it yields about 400 calories per slice (oh no!) and 6 net carbs (2 fiber).

Code:
* Exported from MasterCook * PMS pie Recipe By : Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- Mocha Swirl Cheesecake layer: 2 whole eggs 2 teaspoons vanilla 1 1/2 cups sour cream 1 teaspoon liquid splenda -- Equivalent to 1/2 C splenda, can use Da Vinci 16 ounces cream cheese 2 tablespoons melted butter Swirl: 1 piece unsweetened baking chocolate square 1/4 teaspoon liquid splenda -- Equivalent to 2Tb sweetener 3 Tablespoons instant coffee granules 3 Tablespoons hot water Peanut Butter Layer 4 ounces cream cheese 5 Tablespoons peanut butter 1 1/4 teaspoons liquid splenda -- Equivalent to 1/3C of sweetner Chocolate Layer 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate 2 Tablespoons butter 3/4 teaspoon splenda -- Equivalent to 1/4 cup splenda 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 1/2 teaspoons chocolate extract 3/4 cup ricotta cheese 1/4 cup heavy cream Pecan Crust 2 cups Pecans -- Gound to crumb sized 3 Tablespoons Butter -- melted 1 1/2 teaspoons Blackstrap molasses 1 teaspoon liquid splenda -- (or to taste) mocha swirl cheesecake layer: item 1-10 Beat together eggs, vanilla, sour cream and splenda untill combined. Slowly add the cream cheese and melted butter. Pour 3/4 of batter over crust. Chop baking chocolate into shavings. Mix the instant coffee with the boiling water and splenda, add to chocolate shavings. Nuke for a few seconds to melt chocolate completely if necessary. Add coffee-chocolate mixture to remaining batter and mix completely. Spoon mocha batter over plain batter and swirl gently w/butter knife, be careful not to damage crust at bottom. Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. It won't look quite done, but it does firm up as it cools and has been in the fridge. To help keep the top from cracking, I place a pie tin filled with water on the shelf below to keep the heat moist. item 11-13 for PB layer, item 15-20 for chocolate layer Meanwhile, prepare peanut butter and chocolate layers: For pb layer simply mix all three ingredients in small bowl untill thoroughly combined. For chocolate layer: Melt chocolate in microwave, stir in sweetener and extracts. Beat melted chocolate mixture with the ricotta and cream. When cake comes out of the oven alow it to cool (can put in frige or freezer). When the cake is no longer hot spread pb mixture on top (easiest if the pb mixture is a little warm). Refrigerate again to let pb firm up a little (it won't be solid, just the consistency of pb/creamcheese since that's all thats in it.) Then smooth chocolate layer on top gently. Description: "layer dessert" For crust mix pecans and butter and molasses and sweetener until its well mixed. Press into a springform pan bottom and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until golden. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 401 Calories; 39g Fat (84.4% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 96mg Cholesterol; 210mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 7 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 22:41

BF:

Just wanted to note that when I actually made this I used more baking chocolate than in the recipe I posted 'cause I like my chocolate dark. I didn't edit the recipe 'cause you guys have worked so hard doing the stats

I think next time I make it I might use some sour cream in the pb layer to make it a little more creamy and spreadable, same for the final chocolate layer, I don't think I'll do ricota again on this pie. It is very good on it's own but it firmed up and dried out a little and I just think the texture wasn't quite compatible with the rest of the pie. Don't get me wrong, I could have eaten my pie for every meal, it was fabulous, but I'm a perfectionist, what can I say?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 14:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/149/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 81%

I tried it! It was wonderful.... except that the coffee mocha swirl part was far too strong and ruined the cheese cake. It was too bitter. Next time I will do maybe 3 teaspoons instead of Tablespoons. Heck who needs whipping cream on top!!!

Laurie