Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 01:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkay
nothing wrong with your tastebuds porridge in any form is disgusting... and Im Scottish
(Sorry to all you porridge lovers out there)

Glad I'm not the only one.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 01:45
Happy Loser!

Plan: Atkins food, IF 20/4
Stats: 287/238/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Elkay, I get mine in the Morayfield Woolies, but seriously, almost any supermarket will sell linseed (flax) meal, linseeds (which you can grind yourself if you have a coffee grinder or the like) and LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond mix used in the recipe I linked). Also every health food store sells them but they're usually cheaper in the supermarket.

I've never tried any of the store-bought low carb breads but I hear there are a couple around. Making your own will still be much lower carb than the bought ones though. Plus there's no kneading and rising with flaxbread because you just use baking powder and cook it like a cake. Technically we should probably call it flax cake but it does taste like bread

Em
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 01:53
Registered Member

Plan: Own Lo Carb
Stats: 176/160.6/132 Female 61 inces
BF:
Progress: 35%

What a small world em Morayfield is my local shopping centre!!!
isnt that unbeleivable, so now I know exactly where to go buy it
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 02:03
Happy Loser!

BF:

That's great news Elkay! Perhaps we'll bump into each other hovering around the health food section some time, carefully reading all the labels! Enjoy your flaxing!

Em

P.S. Apologies for derailing your thread a bit, AudreyB. I will be trying your flaxbread recipe for breakfast soon. The added cinnamon sounds yum!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 21:34
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Think I will try this in the morning. I'm sure the Aussies will have their reviews in by then.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 22:39
Happy Loser!

BF:

Eep! I snuck out for breakfast this morning, sorry to disappoint on the reveiw front

Em
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 04:43

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

OMG! I've now made this TWICE since yesterday!

I had it yesterday for tea time. Smelt just like french toast to me so I drizzled some sugar-free maple syrup on top. YUM!

This morning I couldn't wait to have it again. So quick that I could have it while making the kids' breakfast before school. This time I mixed in a tiny splash of vanilla along with the pumpkin pie spices. Butter and syrup on top. So warm and tasty at 6:15 this a.m.

Even my hubby, who is not LC, tried a bite and liked it. He's a big french toast fan and I've not been making this since LC-ing.

Thanks for passing this recipe along. It sounded weired to me, but I'm glad I tried it.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 06:18
empress of fashion

BF:

I liked this. It does have a toast like quality to it. I spread mine on a plate when I nuked it, also added a bit of almond extract. I think if you stepped up the sweetner and added some more cinnamon you would have something resembling cinnamon toast.
Thanks for sharing!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 08:13

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I used Torani (Davinci) syrup, it tasted like french toast. I put peanut butter on half of it, and it was good both ways. I used 2 tablespoons of flaxseed and put it in a sandwich tupperware microwavable container, it came out in a square.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 10:02

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 265/230/150 Female 64
BF:42
Progress: 30%

You ABSOLUTELY CAN have Flax seed/Flaxseedmill in induction, WITHOUT having to count it as part of your daily carb count, as Flaxsed/Flaxseed mill is mostly fiber and fiber does not have a negetive on insulin levels. Below I have posted from Atkins.com, it talks about Flaxseed Mill and other fiber sources....none of which contributes to daily carb counts

Fiber: A Special Kind of Carbohydrate
Adequate dietary fiber is essential for regularity. But fiber also performs an important role in helping moderate swings in blood sugar levels.

Perhaps your grandmother called it roughage; physicians call it bulk. No matter what it’s called, dietary fiber is traditionally used for relieving constipation, an important consideration when changing the way you eat as you do when you start the Atkins Nutritional Approach™. What exactly is fiber? Simply put, dietary fiber is the indigestible parts of plant cells. Although it is a carbohydrate, fiber does not convert to glucose and thus does not raise your blood-sugar level the way carbohydrates typically do.

In fact, fiber actually slows the entry of glucose into the bloodstream. This, in turn, reduces the blood-sugar spikes that cause insulin production and encourage the body to produce and store body fat. And by slowing down food’s transit time in the digestive tract, fiber helps you feel full longer, resulting in fewer food cravings.

But that’s just the beginning. Fiber also:

binds to cholesterol in the intestine, helping rid the body of it.
absorbs and then eliminates bacterial toxins in the intestine.
reduces the likelihood of getting diverticulitis.
speeds the excretion of gallstone-promoting bile.
supports the immune system by crowding out harmful bacteria in the colon.
bulks up the stool and make it easier to pass.

Fiber-rich foods include vegetables, nuts and seeds, fruit, beans and whole unrefined grains. During Induction your primary source of fiber will be vegetables. (In later phases you will be introducing the other sources of fiber in the aforementioned order.) How can you get the benefits of fiber without the carbs contained in these foods? The answer is supplementation, such as a tablespoon or two of psyllium husks daily. Be sure to select a sugar-free product. You can also use coarse wheat bran or flaxseed meal. Although it’s derived from grain, coarse bran is pure fiber so it doesn’t add to your carb count. Psyllium husks should be mixed with water, or you can sprinkle bran over your vegetables or blend flaxseed meal into a shake. Drinking the recommended eight glasses or more of water daily is also essential to avoid constipation. Also remember that you need to accompany any increase in fiber intake with plenty of water.

Be aware that fiber is one place where less is more. Consuming too much can block mineral absorption because food simply doesn’t stay in the digestive tract long enough for your body to extract valuable nutrients. Gas, flatulence or constipation can also result. If you haven’t been eating significant amounts of fiber, increase your intake gradually to allow the intestinal tract to adjust.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 18:07
Happy Loser!

BF:

Wow, I just love it when these sort of contradictions pop up in Dr Atkins' writings (same material on pp 75-76 of DANDR). 'Add nuts and seeds in the "later phases" but you can use flax seed during induction.' And he doesn't even mention why this is an exception, but he does manage to point out why wheatbran is okay. I love Atkins but I wish he would explain things like this more carefully. If he felt flax was okay, why not add it to the acceptable foods list ("Eat nothing that is not on the acceptable foods list. And that means absolutely nothing!")?

As I said above, personally I think flax is great stuff for any time on Atkins and it is low in carbs but it's not 0 carbs (from Fitday - one tbsp has almost 0.8g net carbs, one cup about 10g). When I make a flax recipe I include the flax carbs for the sake of accuracy and honesty with my body. After all, nothing is a "free food".

At the end of the day, I feel we have no really clear rule about flax from Dr Atkins so to each his own. I do know one lady on another board who stalled when she started baking & eating flax muffins, got going again as soon as she stopped. But I'd say add flax at any time because flax is good, healthy stuff and only reconsider if you find your weight loss is slowing/stalling. Experimentation is the name of the game.

Thanks for posting that cut, Sapphire2. Lots of interesting material and some good advice on fibre!

Em
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-04, 01:41
Registered Member

Plan: Own Lo Carb
Stats: 176/160.6/132 Female 61 inces
BF:
Progress: 35%

Ive got to try this, Im still not sure tho what size or kind of container to use and is it a single serve. Scuse my ignorance but I am totally new to this lo carb.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-04, 07:40
empress of fashion

BF:

Yes, single serving. As I said, I poured mine onto a small plate and nuked it and that worked just fine.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-04, 13:02

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I made mixed and nuked mine in a small cereal bowl (it puffs up in the microwave). Then I turned it out when it was done, slapped some butter and sf syrup on it and told the kids it was french toast. They loved it!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 11:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 39.3/32/22 Female 157
BF:39/35/25
Progress: 42%

im about to try this, and man i miss bread, so i hope it comes out right, thanks a lot!!:P