Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 09:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I used to be able to lose weight just by counting carbs. Since I turned 50 counting carbs alone no longer works for me, I am sure at least in part because I have always been an overeater/binge eater...I just binged on low carb foods. Now I am having some suchess counting carbs and calories on my fitness pal. Although I am counting calories, if a day goes high on calories I do not worry about it, as long as carbs stay low. I also try to get at least 15,000 steps per day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 10:06

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Yes, I track both, otherwise I would overeat even on low carb. Both carbs and calories count for me to be able to maintain.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 15:16

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Like Jo and Jean, I must have a plan and stick to it. I count grams of protein, of fat, and of carbs.

Range of carbs and range of protein is very set, for me.

Range of fat is a bit wider, as it is the least metabolically damaging. But, going too high on fat causes problems, too. That means, for me, feeling sluggish or a bit flush, as well as weight gain. If the fat is too low for a day or two, it is nice to drink some cream, or eat some butter.

A typical day: 60 grams of protein: 35 grams of carbs: 100 - 150 grams of fat.

If I go too low on protein, I get the "cranky, weepy, weak and tired". Too much protein is almost worse for me than a high carb day. Energetic, in a wound-up way, not a pleasant way, especially from beef. (I usually eat veal now. It isn't aged.) Limiting protein helps keep the migraines away.

Too low on carbs, and it feels as though my body is working very, very hard to do something, and can't. Too many carbs means wanting to eat, feeling unwell, and weight gain.

By limiting each group, I am limiting calories.

Sometimes, I total them up. But, I usually just track the grams of P:F:C in my menus.

Last edited by SilverEm : Sat, Jul-07-18 at 15:26.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 09:17

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thankyou for all the responses. I don't feel quite as odd about having to do both. I think most of my problems have occurred because of my yoyo dieting in the past. It really messes up your metabolism. I think this time I hope to keep the weight off, so I'll be counting both even after I get to goal
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 04:00

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, JMH. I'm a yo-yo-er, too. Thank goodness we know to have Low Carb as the standard now.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 21:39

BF:

Yes yoyo dieting is a problem. I have lost the same 50 pounds quite a few times. This time I have a plan to keep it off. I've been researching quite extensively
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 08:54

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

It's not odd to do both. Following a keto WOE, I'm fortunate that I now have an "off switch" that kicks in immediately when I reach satiety. Now I'm smart enough to act and stop eating when that occurs. It doesn't happen that way for everyone, and it's reasonable to understand one's limitations in order to stay healthy. If I were eating SAD, the switch would stop working to the point where I could eat any number of portions and not know I was full. I could feel full; yet, still be able to eat, particularly desserts after a bountiful meal. That's what made me realize I am prone to carb addiction.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 09:06

Plan: atkins 72
Stats: 162/158/120 Female 5 feet, 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

JMH I am totally the same. I just spent 3 days doing under 20 carbs per day and had cheese and heavy cream. I gained 2 pounds. That is unusual considering these are my first low carb days after high sugar lifestyle. So, I am 53 and now have to count both carbs and calories. I am active with running, biking, stair master,and walking. But I think I am going to hold off on the running until I drop lots of weight as my joints have to last me. At 164.6 and 5'3" I am too heavy to run just yet. I love running but will have to take it up at a different time. So today I am officially starting the Stillmans diet. it is zero carb and low fat and low calorie. I usually use my summer to lose weight and get in control of my health. It is time I kept this up for the year instead of giving into crazy sugar binges.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 09:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't count a two pound weight gain unless I hold onto it for a long time. Scale goes up, scale goes down. Unless maybe if something consistently raises my weight a couple of pounds every time I do it--but even then it's likely to be water retention, and I still have to figure out whether I mind.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 11:21

BF:

I hope the low fat part works for you. It doesn't for me, I have to have my fat to feel full. Interestingly enough, I feel full on way less calories. Like today I had keto pancake, I'm satiated, I remember when I would have still been hungry.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 12:06

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

I do not count calories these days; I have too many bad memories of food scales and WW… In the past, I would count calories when doing the Atkins Fat Fast, but I haven’t done the AFF since incorporating IF and making it to Onderland.

However, I am still heavier than I should be for my height and frame. I have tremendous admiration for the stalwart souls who track everything, who have reached their goal and are maintaining. I also greatly admire those of us who still have away to go and who are keeping on keeping on, and working every day on figuring out what works best for us.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 15:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinGurl
I do not count calories these days; I have too many bad memories of food scales and WW.
Same here. I'm not going to bed hungry because a spreadsheet told me I'm not allowed to eat anymore and/or that I should be full. Besides, I don't find calories to be a reasonable measure of satiety. I could never finish 500 calories worth of scrambled eggs, but I can pound back 500+ calories worth of something like pizza toppings. OTOH, less than 100 calories worth of coffee totally deadens my appetite.

I've learned what portion sizes of what foods make me sated vs snacky-again-in-two-hours. The calorie count thereof is all over the map, and therefore useless to me.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 18:40

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The 2-pound gain after eating cheese and heavy cream is likely water/inflammation due to an intolerance to dairy proteins. This can happen without any digestive issues. Keeping a journal or using software to track what you eat is a great way to identify "legal" foods that don't work for you. Dairy proteins caused me to hold on to 15 lbs of water; I lost that weight on large portions of meat, fish & poultry instead.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
I hope the low fat part works for you. It doesn't for me, I have to have my fat to feel full. Interestingly enough, I feel full on way less calories. Like today I had keto pancake, I'm satiated, I remember when I would have still been hungry.

I am tiptoeing into keto, and it is amazing to me how eating fat makes my cravings go away. I just stop thinking about food. This is the first time I can say that I feel satiated without physically feeling full. It's a happy physical feeling too.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-18, 17:21

BF:

I do know you need to eat enough fat to feel satisfied. I've had about 550 calories so far. I'm feeling fairly satisfied so far and it is 4:19 PM. I hope to be hungry later, if not I won't eat if I'm not hungry. But I've had butter, hwc and sour cream. So eating fat is the trick., I did have a bunless whopper and a keto dessert. I'm still under my calorie count

Last edited by jmh6251 : Fri, Jul-13-18 at 20:34.