Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #196   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 15:25
bcbeauty's Avatar
bcbeauty bcbeauty is offline
Memere to 4
Posts: 3,021
 
Plan: Dr. A's Diet revolution
Stats: 202/190.2/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:34%
Progress: 23%
Location: Kelowna BC. Canada
Default

Eat to live... don't live to eat.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Wed, May-02-18, 05:06
Ms Arielle's Avatar
Ms Arielle Ms Arielle is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 6,993
 
Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/225/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Location: Massachusetts
Default

An amazing old thread that sums up lc-sad life beautifullly.
Reply With Quote
  #198   ^
Old Sat, May-19-18, 12:06
NoCarbMica NoCarbMica is offline
New Member
Posts: 17
 
Plan: Slow Carb
Stats: 110/110/125 Female 5"0'
BF:26%
Progress: 0%
Location: Houston, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, I thought maybe those of us who have tackled this subject over and over could put together a thread of ideas and suggestions for the hoards who find they're bored with low carb eating. Clearly they just need inspiration and we got it for them, what say you?

First off let me say I have dietary restrictions that probably make most people's look very liberal. I can't eat anything with gluten period. I avoid dairy and legumes and all other grains, sugar, excesses starch. I loosely follow a "paleo" diet.

I've got quite a few recipes and what-not in my blog "Mostly Paleo".

This time of the year I like making stew and chili. I have a recipe book called "300 Stew Recipes". I also have Karen Barnaby's low carb cook book (amazing recipes!)

I'll post more later!



The biggest issue that I have experienced when eating LC is the "stall pattern" my body seems to go in when I am trying to lose weight? This generally leads me to go into patterns of losing interest in LC. Does anyone ever experience this too? Any tips?
Reply With Quote
  #199   ^
Old Sat, May-19-18, 15:37
Verbena Verbena is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 814
 
Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Location: SW PNW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCarbMica
The biggest issue that I have experienced when eating LC is the "stall pattern" my body seems to go in when I am trying to lose weight? This generally leads me to go into patterns of losing interest in LC. Does anyone ever experience this too? Any tips?


I have been "stalled" for about 5 years. I lost 30# in about 15 months, and have been vacillating up and down in the same ~6# range ever since, with 10 to 15 pounds to go to get to "not overweight" on the BMI scale. However, when I started eating this way I also read a lot about the "whys", and so I find myself unable to consider eating bread and pasta and sweets again. My health is good, I hardly ever get sick, my occasional sore finger joints are just fine now, unless I slip up and eat grain. All that stuff doesn't just make me fat, it also negatively impacts my health, and, at 66, I don't feel that I want to go down that road. All this to say that my incentives to continue eating this way are way stronger than any minor inclination to eat bread or other carbs. And, on top of all that, I find the food to be fantastic! I love what I eat, and rather than feeling that the occasional slip is a "guilty pleasure" I actually am more annoyed that "whatever" isn't as good as what I might have had if I'd done my own cooking. I continue to read (here and elsewhere), so am constantly reminding myself of the health reasons I do this. I also collect recipes that sound appealing, and I am such a food geek that these encourage me LOL. My "stall", rather than discouraging me, encourages me to keep going.
Reply With Quote
  #200   ^
Old Sat, May-19-18, 17:25
Ms Arielle's Avatar
Ms Arielle Ms Arielle is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 6,993
 
Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/225/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCarbMica
The biggest issue that I have experienced when eating LC is the "stall pattern" my body seems to go in when I am trying to lose weight? This generally leads me to go into patterns of losing interest in LC. Does anyone ever experience this too? Any tips?


Perhaps you need to examine WHY you eat LC?

Is this weight loss?

Is this to live healthy?

Is this to fix a health problem???

There is no quick fix for any of these. IT takes dedication and a no-quit attitute to win.

When you hit a stall, the key is to NOT quit. YOur body is readjusting and trying to figure this out. Otherwise there are steps to take to kick thru this stall. Maybe up exercise. Maybe up protein. Maybe up fats, Maybe up carbs. You work it until you find the answer your body is happy with.
Reply With Quote
  #201   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 05:57
NoCarbMica NoCarbMica is offline
New Member
Posts: 17
 
Plan: Slow Carb
Stats: 110/110/125 Female 5"0'
BF:26%
Progress: 0%
Location: Houston, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I have been "stalled" for about 5 years. I lost 30# in about 15 months, and have been vacillating up and down in the same ~6# range ever since, with 10 to 15 pounds to go to get to "not overweight" on the BMI scale. However, when I started eating this way I also read a lot about the "whys", and so I find myself unable to consider eating bread and pasta and sweets again. My health is good, I hardly ever get sick, my occasional sore finger joints are just fine now, unless I slip up and eat grain. All that stuff doesn't just make me fat, it also negatively impacts my health, and, at 66, I don't feel that I want to go down that road. All this to say that my incentives to continue eating this way are way stronger than any minor inclination to eat bread or other carbs. And, on top of all that, I find the food to be fantastic! I love what I eat, and rather than feeling that the occasional slip is a "guilty pleasure" I actually am more annoyed that "whatever" isn't as good as what I might have had if I'd done my own cooking. I continue to read (here and elsewhere), so am constantly reminding myself of the health reasons I do this. I also collect recipes that sound appealing, and I am such a food geek that these encourage me LOL. My "stall", rather than discouraging me, encourages me to keep going.


Congratulations on the 30#! That is quite the accomplishment regardless of how long you work towards your goal. I agree with the guilty pleasure and not having your cravings satisfied. There is really no substitute to a home cooked meal. I think that I just need to have better self discipline to try and continue down the right path and stick with it. Actually reminds me of a quote by Harry S. Truman..."In reading the lives of great men, I found that the first victory they won was over themselves... self-discipline with all of them came first."
Reply With Quote
  #202   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 06:00
NoCarbMica NoCarbMica is offline
New Member
Posts: 17
 
Plan: Slow Carb
Stats: 110/110/125 Female 5"0'
BF:26%
Progress: 0%
Location: Houston, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Perhaps you need to examine WHY you eat LC?

Is this weight loss?

Is this to live healthy?

Is this to fix a health problem???

There is no quick fix for any of these. IT takes dedication and a no-quit attitute to win.

When you hit a stall, the key is to NOT quit. YOur body is readjusting and trying to figure this out. Otherwise there are steps to take to kick thru this stall. Maybe up exercise. Maybe up protein. Maybe up fats, Maybe up carbs. You work it until you find the answer your body is happy with.


I am interested in this because of the healthy lifestyle. I am looking at it from blood sugar regulation and cholesterol reduction perspective. I will stick with it and put the right pieces of the puzzle together! Thanks for all of the support everyone here is always so helpful!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:57.


Copyright © 2000-2018 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.