Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 10:54

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

here's something i read on a flax seed site:

"one study, stir-frying with flaxseed oil seemed to be okay if the oil temperature was kept below 300ºF but that at higher temperatures, a fishy odor was detected, and significant levels of oxidation appeared."

Baking temperatures are usually significantly higher than 300ºF.

Is there a difference in heat from frying at 300ºF and baking at above 300ºF? Any expert bakers out there would know the answer to this?

Thanks, i would like to know for sure if i'm going to eat a fair amount of flax seed that i'm not going to be dumping trans fats back into my body.

Thanks

Deb
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
Everyone, are you aware that if you subject ground flax to high heat that you lose the benefits of the omega 3 oil in it? High heat destroys omega 3. Or are you ok with that and are using this more for the fibre content?

Just a FYI that might make a difference for you.

Deb

I spent quite awhile searching for info. on the stability of flaxseed under different conditions, and came upon the following set of abstracts of a host of different studies on storing and cooking with flax. It was quite interesting and worth looking at if you are very interested in this sort of thing!

http://www.flaxrd.com/Documents/Flax%20Stability.pdf.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 07:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
Baking temperatures are usually significantly higher than 300ºF.

Is there a difference in heat from frying at 300ºF and baking at above 300ºF? Any expert bakers out there would know the answer to this?

When you roast a chicken for an hour or two at 300º or 400º F, it's internal finished cooking temperature is about 180º. Same with baked goods. Eggs set at a hundred and something, so that's roughly when your muffins would be done. The internal temperature doesn't get as high as the air temperature in the oven, except for maybe the very outer layer.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 15:37
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 207/192/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 26%

NancyLC had a thread on "bowl muffins" that sounds a lot like your "dish". What a wonderful concoction and SO many ways to get creative with s.f. syrups. I made one with 1T flaxmeal, 1/2 t. baking pwdr.,1 scoop natural protein pwdr (less than 1 carb), some cookie dough s.f. Da Vinci syrup & some vanilla bean s.f. syrup -and a little leftover decaf - nuked for 2 mins. - WOW - same thing with strawberry s.f. syrup - also did her "mother" omelet with eggs, bacon bits, cheese, etc. Any of these "bowl muffins" can be such a lifesaver when you want a sweet tasting treat that has practically 0 carbs.

Can anyone here tell me since flaxmeal has 4.5 gms fat, 4 gms. fiber and 4 gms carbs would it not be a fat since the fiber and carbs zero out? TIA
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 03:29

Stats: 198/198/121.2 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

I made it and it's wonderful with a tuna salad. Mine's a bit brown though not like the picture that has been posted in this forum. I'll try taking a picture of mine and post it. Looking forward to any feedback.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 10:12

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default French Toast Flax Bread!!!

I made this into a french toast and it was SO good and SO easy though I omitted the baking powder. All I did was...

> melt about 1 Tbsp butter in a cereal bowl
> then beat in 1 egg
> then beat in about 2 or 3 Tbsp flax meal (I used golden flax )

Then I nuked it for about 2 minutes and poured some sf syrup on top and then cut into little squares so that the syrup could get soaked into the bread. YUUUUUUUUMMY! Even my bf liked it!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-06, 08:07
Registered Member

Stats: 222/220/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Ok, what am I doing wrong? I got some flaxseed yesterday and made the bread last night. I was totally disappointed with the taste. I followed the directions and couldn't wait for a piece of it toasted. I couldn't even try it toasted cause it just tasted, for lack of better words "yucky". I so wanted to like this recipe.

Maybe I'll give it a try again tonight. Maybe its' just my tastebuds?

Jules
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 06:11
Registered Member

Plan: Own Lo Carb
Stats: 176/160.6/132 Female 61 inces
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi

Its a long time since any of my original posts on this "Bread", but I must have done the same thing wrong as you did, as it was disgusting, I tried it a couple of times, the only thing it resembled...... well there are no words to describe it but it certainly wasnt toast or anything bread like
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 13:53
Registered Member

Stats: 219/206/140 Female 163 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelx1
WOW! I tried this!
I modified it slightly, since someone posted that it was too eggy, and I don't like eggy stuff (pity I don't like the mock danish like everyone else!).

I used:
1 tbl butter
1 large egg
1 packet splenda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbl flaxmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder

Nuked for 2 minutes, and in my little plastic container it turned into a big muffin! Promptly cut it open, spread a bit of butter, and it was like a bran muffin. So delicious! I cut up chunks (should have sliced) and dipped it in sugarfree syrup. WOW. I can have mini pancakes again! GREAT RECIPE!!

love it , tried it today 3 times 1st your way , then once with 1/2 tsp banana extract but I forgot the splenda and it was bitter, so i tried again and this time i used 2 tsp granular splenda and 1 tsp pure almond extract, it was very good like a regular muffin, sweet and tasty!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 22:51

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy
love it , tried it today 3 times 1st your way , then once with 1/2 tsp banana extract but I forgot the splenda and it was bitter, so i tried again and this time i used 2 tsp granular splenda and 1 tsp pure almond extract, it was very good like a regular muffin, sweet and tasty!

I just had to put my two cents in, I have been making Micro Muffins daily am sometimes and before bed, and after 35 yr my BS have been coming down. My dr. says its the flax, and keep it up. What a wonderful bread like food, I don't feel deprived anymore...

Last edited by Hismouse : Mon, Jan-14-08 at 22:57.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 11:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/167/155 Female 5'9"
BF:don't/wanna/know
Progress: 84%

YUMMY! I made this and it tasted like a muffin. I am loving these low carb alternatives! Thanks so much everyone for posting all of your "experiments!"
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 11:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/165/140 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Can't wait to try this
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 21:23

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 175/170/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I make these quite often, using 3 tablespoons of flax meal. I've taken to substituting one tablespoon of LC pancake mix or similar mix. It makes a much nicer muffin, a little less coarse. Ages ago I bought a whole slew of these products when they got dumped from regular grocery stores onto the local discount store. Since the mixes have no fat in them they have kept very well.

Actually I prefer Sponge Bob's flax bread, or one of the variations. The major difference is the addition of nut meal and protein powder. Again, the result is a less coarse, more bread-like, and generally tastier.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-08, 13:01

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

This is a version of the old lc standby the One Minute Muffin-you can Google it for lots of variations. The basic recipe is

1/4 c flaxmeal
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tb melted butter or coconut oil
I egg
Sweetener of choice

Nuke for approximately one minute. I use sf syrup so muffin is moister.