Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 17:51

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question Baby gas, low carb, and losing weight...?

OKay I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I really want to do low carb (OWL or so) while I'm BF'ing. BUT... my little girl has been having really bad gas, and I don't know what I can or can't eat and I need to do whatever I can to help eliviate her misery.

I know I can't do onions, and I think that splenda is bothering her as well (IE: loosie poopie), maybe mushrooms etc... Basically most of the stuff that I eat seems to be bothering her and I DO NOT want to do a HIGH carb diet just to help her feel better and watch myself expand like crazy.

Need some suggestions, I'm not sure where to start to see what is effecting her. I noticed that when I started low carbing again that I got really pukie and light headed like crazy, and was assuming because my carbs were so low and I was expending so many more calories being that I'm BF'ing.

I'm in uncharted territories at this point in-time and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Suggestions helpful...

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 20:04

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Nancy LC is really knowlegable about elimination type diets. Why dont you PM her and ask her advice about elimination diets while keeping LC? She may know some good websites to check out. She really seems to know her stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 11:21

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

There are far less things that affect breastmilk than you'd think. The most common one is dairy, closely followed by wheat. Cabbage and onions and mushrooms etc are far less likely to be causing problems than most people believe.

Sometimes babies are just windy. Check your positioning and latch, and make sure you burp her really well afterwards. So many BF babies nurse to sleep that they often have a lot of wind still in them which can cause problems.

Honestly, breast feeding while low carbing is just the same as breastfeeding on the SAD. Ketones don't pass into breastmilk, and I'm reliably informed that even on induction level carbs, breastmilk still tastes like "warm ice-cream". You can still expect the same problems with latching, night time waking, growth spurts, teething etc that other babies have. You really shouldn't have any extra ones from LCing, except perhaps that you might get extra thirsty.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 13:29

Plan: None
Stats: 315/315/314 Male 74
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
OKay I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I really want to do low carb (OWL or so) while I'm BF'ing. BUT... my little girl has been having really bad gas, and I don't know what I can or can't eat and I need to do whatever I can to help eliviate her misery.

I know I can't do onions, and I think that splenda is bothering her as well (IE: loosie poopie), maybe mushrooms etc... Basically most of the stuff that I eat seems to be bothering her and I DO NOT want to do a HIGH carb diet just to help her feel better and watch myself expand like crazy.

Need some suggestions, I'm not sure where to start to see what is effecting her. I noticed that when I started low carbing again that I got really pukie and light headed like crazy, and was assuming because my carbs were so low and I was expending so many more calories being that I'm BF'ing.

I'm in uncharted territories at this point in-time and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Suggestions helpful...

Basically if you can't figure it out you really need to quit low-carbing and care for your child! That child is YOUR responsibility, YOU created him/her and it's YOU are the one who needs to be selfless in order to make the baby happy, comfortable and healthy. If that means putting on 10 lbs while breast-feeding then so be it. Your life priorities just changed lady and you might want to get used to that...

that said good luck finding a low carb diet that works for breastfeeding and I hope you do but a few pounds on you are worth every bit of fat to make your baby comfortable.... Try dropping low carb for a week, if your're lucky it isn't the low-carb causing the problem.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 13:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The title of the thread drew me in then I noticed my name had been mentioned!

Well, I don't know much about breastfeeding but I do know some food proteins go through breast like gluten from grains does.

If it were me, I'd go to a meat/veggie diet and stick with it closely for a week and see if the symptoms subside. If so, slowly add one food at a time and eat it for 3-4 days and see how the baby reacts. That's how I do it to identify what is going on with my gut. If you throw more than 2 foods in at once, you can't tell which one did it.

I wouldn't assume it was the low carb diet doing it either. It probably isn't. And you're probably much more likely to find foods like grains are going to cause problems than meat and veggies (and perhaps a bit of fruit) is.

The foods that I'm sensitive to are: Grains (especially gluten containing ones), dairy, nuts, seeds, sesame in any form, chocolate possibly coconut.

Some are sensitive to soy and others are sensitive to eggs.

Good luck!

Quote:
Basically if you can't figure it out you really need to quit low-carbing and care for your child! That child is YOUR responsibility, YOU created him/her and it's YOU are the one who needs to be selfless in order to make the baby happy, comfortable and healthy. If that means putting on 10 lbs while breast-feeding then so be it. Your life priorities just changed lady and you might want to get used to that...

Whoa nelly... that's quite a post for your first one.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 14:42
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomePerson

that said good luck finding a low carb diet that works for breastfeeding and I hope you do but a few pounds on you are worth every bit of fat to make your baby comfortable.... Try dropping low carb for a week, if your're lucky it isn't the low-carb causing the problem.

Nancy---I have to agree.....

interesting first post---particularly since your profile states that you have read no low carb books.

I agree with Helen--make sure your latch is good and burp, burp, burp afterwards. A burping method that works well for some....after feeding, hold the baby belly side down on your arm, back up towards you at about a 45 degree angle. Instead of patting the back, try big circles. Sometimes this works really well (and other times it doesn't)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 19:00

BF:

Quote:

Wow, that's a pretty rude response. First off you DO NOT know me so don't go around assuming that you know how I am feeling. You don't know what is going on with my baby besides what I have written so as far as I am concerned you input it not needed thank you very much. LIke I'm sitting here thinking of ways to hurt my child, you must be crazy. I would never do anything to hurt my baby.

Just so you know, it wasn't low carb that was giving her gas. But since you think you know it all please go ahead with your assumptions.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 19:02

BF:

Lisa / Nancy thanks for your response. Her little intestines have developed just perfectly so she is doing SO much better now!

I have noticed though that if I eat a lot of splenda it bothers her. So I stay away from that at all costs.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 19:05

BF:

[QUOTE=SomePerson] Your life priorities just changed lady and you might want to get used to that...

QUOTE]

By the way if you intend to live "peacefully" on this forum, I suggest not coming across and yelling at people when you don't even know any one yet. You'll offend a lot of people and probably end up in the "WAR ZONE".

Just a word of advise, but apparently you think your word is god, so you'll probably take what I said with a grain of salt.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 19:08

Plan: None
Stats: 315/315/314 Male 74
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
Wow, that's a pretty rude response. First off you DO NOT know me so don't go around assuming that you know how I am feeling. You don't know what is going on with my baby besides what I have written so as far as I am concerned you input it not needed thank you very much. Like I'm sitting here thinking of ways to hurt my child, you must be crazy. I would never do anything to hurt my baby.

Just so you know, it wasn't low carb that was giving her gas. But since you think you know it all please go ahead with your assumptions.

I know, I thought it was crazy too... but yay! it's not low-carb. That's good news for you and the baby... and no I knew nothing other than what you posted and the way I read it is "I'm not going to give up my looks for my child's comfort"..... so maybe I read it wrong but I suppose if you actually had that sort of feelings toward motherhood you probably wouldn't have had a child... best of luck to you and your child
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 08:55
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
I know, I thought it was crazy too... but yay! it's not low-carb. That's good news for you and the baby... and no I knew nothing other than what you posted and the way I read it is "I'm not going to give up my looks for my child's comfort"..... so maybe I read it wrong but I suppose if you actually had that sort of feelings toward motherhood you probably wouldn't have had a child... best of luck to you and your child

Is it me or is there something "troll-like" with this guy.

Between his only two posts, only wanting to lose 1 pound, and having not read any books, I'm finding it all a bit smelly under the bridge. But hey that's just me
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 09:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

jwilson- How are you and your baby doing now? I see that you originally posted this back in May, so it's possible that the original problem has been resolved by now.

I'm willing to bet that SomePerson has never breastfed a baby... and from what he's posted I'm going to venture that he's not the father of a breastfed baby either.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 12:22

BF:

She's actually doing great thanks. I noticed it was more due to that "baby colicy phaze" and some foods upset her but I can eat pretty much whatever now and she seems to be okay. The DR said it was probably due to her digestive system still trying to mature.

My diet has changed a bit and I'm still investigating which foods seem to bother her. And if I find that she has gas I give her some of those mylecon (sp?) drops and they help her.

So far, something in this low carb ice cream i had last night seems to have bothered her. So when I have my "free meal" per week I'll have to find something else.

Dang. Oh well. I'll find something more healthy I suppose.

Thanks for your input.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 12:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Of all the low carb foods out there, I'd suspect artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols before any natural, whole foods. What's the ingredients of the low carb ice cream?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 14:27

BF:

Hmm...

http://dreyers.slowchurned.com/flavor.aspx?b=115&f=2637

here's the link I've found...

I saved my calories for the day so that i was allowed 1 cup of ice cream. Apparently that was too much. I may just be totally intolerant of this ice cream I'm not sure though.