Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-13, 10:18

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
I really want a cig when I get upset or depressed. Wow, it was so strong.

My co-worker stopped smoking 4 yrs ago. He said he still wants one. And he really enjoyed smoking. He still talks about it like it was a love that he lost, but fondly remembers....

Even if I don't lose any weight this year, I quit smoking and no one got hurt. I think that deserves a reward - like a new car!

And I bought that new car. A couple of months ago. Don't save the money I would have spent on cigs - that's making the payments. But I did reward myself for not smoking. Feels great to get into a car every day that doesn't smell like an ash tray every day.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 11:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Way to go! I tried that med the first time I tried to quick smoking. It worked great in the sense that it made the cig. taste like soap. It worked quickly. However, I didn't want to quit badly enough because I'd smoke anyway, then take less med when the cig tasted to bad. The second time I tried to quit, quit cold turkey. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. Or at least I felt it was. I have stuck with it, and applaud your effort. You are changing your health and your life.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 14:45
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
And I bought that new car. A couple of months ago. Don't save the money I would have spent on cigs - that's making the payments. But I did reward myself for not smoking. Feels great to get into a car every day that doesn't smell like an ash tray every day.

Congratulations on the new car! More congrats on staying a non-smoker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
Way to go! I tried that med the first time I tried to quick smoking. It worked great in the sense that it made the cig. taste like soap. It worked quickly. However, I didn't want to quit badly enough because I'd smoke anyway, then take less med when the cig tasted to bad. The second time I tried to quit, quit cold turkey. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. Or at least I felt it was. I have stuck with it, and applaud your effort. You are changing your health and your life.

Yeah, Chantix worked for me, but it messed me UP. I'm not smoking, so it did it's job, but I paid for it. If you want to know, here's a link to my journal post about it.

But hey, in a few days, I'll be 3 months w/o a cig. No slips, no stealing a 'drag' from someone. Nothing. I keep a few packs in the house even, makes the mental addiction easier to deal with, "I could, but I won't."
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 18:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Yup, I had to stop taking it after I tried it a second time, nausea bad, my mind seemed gone, and odd dreams along with fuzzy thoughts. I went cold turkey instead, seemed safer. It was like the longer I tried taking the med, the worse it got. Congratulations on staying smoke free.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-13, 12:40
Carnivore

BF:

This Saturday will mark 4 months since my last cigarette. No nicotine, nada since Nov 2, 2012. No slips. I think this is the absolute longest I've ever gone without ANY nicotine since I started smoking.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 04:33
Carnivore

BF:
Talking 503 Days Nicotine Free

Oh wow, I haven't updated this thread in a year. I did it. That last smoke on 11/02/12 was my last cigarette/nicotine/etc. I have not slipped, or puffed, or cheated, etc.

My sense of smell is insane now. It's more sensitive than most never-smokers, I'm finding. Which is really, really, gross when I popped open a tote with winter coats from a few seasons back. What I could wash, I did, several times. Everything else went bye-bye.

I can stand in a group of people who are smoking and don't want to smoke. Don't get me wrong, talking about smoking makes my chest flutter, even now. However, that chest flutter is just a physical memory reaction. I don't have the psychological urge to fulfill that memory. The smell of smoke from other people doesn't bother me, but if it lingers on me, it grosses me out. Makes me sad for all the years I smelled of tar and burnt chemicals.

On my one year quit-aversary, I finally went through all my stash spots for unopened packs and threw them all away. There were 7 packs of smokes between my car, DH's truck, and the house. 7 packs I didn't "need to finish" before I quit. It was a proud moment.

Thank you to everyone here who gave me support - especially in those early weeks. It helped! Hey, that all got paid forward, too. I started a quit trend among friends. There were 7 of us who smoked. Now there are 2, and they live together.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-14, 15:45

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

You rock! I'm so glad it stuck this time. And you will inspire others to try to quit again.

Good job. Enjoy your clear lungs and the ability to get more oxygen out of them.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-14, 00:24
Carnivore

BF:

I somehow missed posting in here on my Quitiversary. It's been over 2 years since my last nicotine of any kind.

I still get the odd craving once in a while. It's not strong really, just like a ghost of an old thought that sticks around for a few days. Nothing worth killing myself over.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-14, 08:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Congrats! I was reading about the person who bought the car and was happy she hadn't smoked in it. I just got a new car myself and I believe it is the first car I've ever purchased that didn't come with an ashtray.

Glad I stopped smoking many, many years ago!

Congrats TChice!