Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 06:56

Plan: CALP
Stats: 210/210/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Feeling defeated

Well...... I really screwed this up. Started on Atkins on 1/1/02 and followed it to the tee the first week, lost 9 pounds, was so sick of protien i ate almost nothing the second week, and gave it up totally by the third week. Soooooo now here i am weighing 1 pound more than when i started and very frustrated and VERY scared to start again because failure feels worse than fat! I really want to start the CALP but Im feeling so scared and that seems to make me eat even more. At this rate i'll be double my weight by next month!

Oh and BTW...... Wawtigress....... reading your posts have kept me at least coming back to peek in so please please dont stop.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 08:30

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile Hang in there!

Just try CALP for a couple of weeks and you should start to see the pounds melt away! Everyone has slip-ups (I've had a few recently myself) and they're nothing to beat yourself up about!

Someone very wise (my father) once told me that the weight didn't show up overnight and it won't go away overnight either, so just stick with it and you'll see results. I like to weigh daily and then compare my weekly averages, but others will recommend putting your scale away for a while if it stresses you out....

Hope this helps!
-animaldoc
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 09:35

Plan: calp
Stats: 342/295/190
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi! #1 (sounds nicer than 1 last try) and you are #1!!!
9 pounds is a great loss and a kick start. Maybe your body needs time to adjust. The CALP has no induction period of straight protien so it is easier to take, plus the reward meal (in moderation) lets you have your "real food" . Since salads and vegies are a must there is no protien overload.
Congratulations on looking to another plan rather than just quitting. That is a first and important step.
My only advice is drink lots of water and go for it!! Have a good one.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 13:17

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there......

Thought I'd poke my head in here and tell you about my experience beginning Atkins. To start with I should tell you that I was a vegetarian for 8 years and for the past five years I have lived primarily on fruit and vegetables. My doctor recommended Atkins because she felt that I am insulin resistant. When I bought the book and read through I was very concerned when I discovered that I'd be eating mostly 'meat'!

And sure enough......the first week went okay, but by the second week I could barely stand the sight of anything protein. It was really a struggle for me to stay with it. I just kept telling myself 'one more day', and 'give it time, you'll adjust'. There were days when eggs were all I could tolerate and days where it was mostly cheese. There were even days when I thought, I just can't do this anymore. But I also reminded myself that this was it. This was the last diet I could try so I HAD to make it work.

I guess what I'm saying here is Don't Give Up!! Keep trying. Keep doing it just for one more day, no matter what. I really believe that if you perservere, you can make it work for you too!

Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: CALP/Atkins
Stats: 175/140/110
BF:
Progress: 54%

That's a good story Marlaine. It's true that for something to work, we must make a certain commitment and stick to it! Hope this CALP diet may work for you #1 ! I'm glad that you're coming back and that you're still trying! I always said to myself, the battle is not over unless I say it's over! After many years of trying and failing, I'm finally moving ahead now...!

I just started the CALP diet that Wawtigress is also following and losing like a champion! LOL After one week, I do feel lighter and I can -feel- that I will probably start to lose following this plan. The one -very- tricky part for me is when the time for my RM comes...I need to be VERY alert and not overdue on the carbs department. I can easily lose the sense of proportion (1/3 carbs-only!!) when it comes to carbs (especially if these are "treats" instead of complex carbs!) So, this is the one thing I'm working on right now. My cravings have gone away and I'm able to eat more veggies than in Atkins, so for me at least, it's easier.

Good luck and hope you'll keep coming back!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 12:47

Stats: 180/164/120
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hang In there, If I can do CALP anyone can

I weighed in this morning and found that since I started CALP a month ago I have lost 16 lbs. This is unbelievable for me.

I think what helps me is the reward meal. I can have fruit or dessert or a potato almost anything I want at that meal. That makes it easier for me to stick with it.

Don't give up. It will work. Try eating more vegetables along with your protein. It helps.

Joyce
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 06:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Thumbs up Hello CDN Crafter !

Your 16 pounds is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell us some things you have been eating! I have been trying my best to do the CALP and having a lot of trouble with the reward meal. I sure would appreciate it if you could share some of your thoughts with us. Do you have a journal going here ? I will check under the C's for it.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 06:52

BF:
Progress:

Hi Joann

I haven't started a journal but I have been eating omelets for breakfast, protein and vegetables for lunch and then at my RM I have salad, protein, veg and usually rice or a banana or a potato, something along that line.
I have even had a donut one day. Found out that I no longer like overly sweet things, What a shock that was

The hardest for me is breakfast. I am one of those people who must eat first thing in the morning or I get sick. However, I am getting very tired of eggs. One day I had leftover veg and roast beef from dinner the night before for breakfast. That was different but ok.

For the first time in many years I am starting to feel a little better about myself. I still have a long way to go but the good start has really given me a boost.

For me, the CALP is a wonder. Joyce
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 07:12

BF:
Smile Hi Joyce!

You have really given me hope concerning the CALP. I have had my worries about switching from Atkins to CALP. I did gain about 2 pounds when I made the switch and like a dummy, I got discouraged and then BLEW the diet for 2 whole days! Yeah, I know..............STUPID HUH?

But, I am back in the saddle again today, after reading everyone's posts! This gives me hope that the CALP will work, if I hang in there and do it like it says! I plan to re-read the book and refresh my memory!

Joyce, thanks for telling me how you are eating. Have you thought about not worrying about BREAKFAST food, just eat some lunch meat and cheese for your breakfast, if you don't like eggs? I found while on the CALP, I only need one meal before the reward meal. I eat my reward meal by 5 PM daily. So, it seems to work for me to only have one meal other than the reward meal.

Continued good luck to all!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 08:38

BF:
Progress:

Hi Joann

Thanks for the suggestion. But are we allowed lunch meat, (I am assuming cold cuts here). But some meat and cheese certainly sounds good. I sure am tired of eggs.

Give yourself time. I lost most of my weight the first two weeks and then gradually since then.

Good Luck. I am sure you can do it.

Joyce
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 08:49

BF:
Default Lunch meat?

The lunch meat I am speaking of............is turkey breast that reads 0 Carbs............0 Sugars................I don't see how that could hurt? And I wrap it around a piece of cheese and eat some pork.

By the way.............may we have pork skins like we could on Atkins?

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 08:55

BF:
Progress:

I don't know about pork skins. I am one of those people who are unable to some pork products. So I stay away from the pork.

I wonder if I can find that turkey up here in Canada. I will have to go on a hunt for it. Sure sounds good.

Thanks
Joyce
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:30
Registered Member

Stats: 207.5/203/190
BF:
Progress: 26%
Smile

Yes, we are allowed pork rinds on CALP.

And, if you are tired of eggs for breakfast (it only takes me 3 days to get tired of them ); here is a link to a Mock French Toast recipe posted on the site....it has pork rinds in them!! They are not exactly like French Toast...but, they are pretty good. I use
1/2 tsp cinammon, and also add 1/2 tsp nutmeg. For me, this recipe makes 6 "pancakes" of which I eat 2 a day for 3 days. They reheat great in the microwave. Instead of syrup; I just put a pat of butter on them when I heat them up. YUM!

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe012.html

About the luncheon meat; I think that is very specific to the individual. I think most of them have hidden carbs and/or sugar. Some people can eat them and lose, some can not.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:19

BF:
Default Scotty Thanks!~

.............for the mock french toast recipe! I will give it a try!

About the lunch meat..........if it has hidden sugar......it does not list it at all anywhere. And even if it does..........I am eating very little carbs.............so I don't think it will hurt me. But, I will pay attention to that matter.

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:40

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Smile Lunch meat...

You can also go to the deli at the grocery store and get them to slice some turkey etc for you......

-animaldoc