Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 10:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/152/133
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Easy Way to Quit Smoking

I had a lot of trouble stopping over the years, would cut down then restart in an endless cycle. Then a few months ago a co-worker lent me a book by Alan Carr called the Easy Way to Quit Smoking. It actually worked!

It's not full of medical data or gross pictures, just walks you through how to think about things then when you finish reading it you smoke your last cigarette and from then on your a non-smoker!

Id definitely recommend this to anyone who'd like to quit - unfortunately its not available in the states?! So, to get it, go online to amazon.co.uk it takes a little longer to order from england but it's not much more expensive and its definitely worth it. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 10:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's available in Canada at Chapter's book stores.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

It is available in the states. I got my copy at Barnes and Noble.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 21:01

Plan: none specific
Stats: 210/206/170
BF:
Progress: 10%
Talking Easy way to Quit Smoking

Congratulations on your successful efforts to quit smoking. However, after smoking for the past 40 years I am here to say that there is no repeat no easy way. Some methodologies are just harder than others.

I'm glad your method worked for you. On January 1st, 2002 I smoked my last cigarette. I used Zyban and they were amazing for me. Only side affect that I experienced was sleeping patterns were interupted.

Best of luck
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 12:51

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 243/231/200
BF:
Progress: 28%

I quit smoking in Jan 2001 and used Zyban in conjunction with the patch. Zyban is fantastic! I actually LOST weight while taking it. I stopped using the patches after about 5 days, and took Zyban for a month.

I had trouble sleeping for the first two weeks, but after that I was fine. I'll swear by Zyban....it made quitting so much easier than other ways I had tried before.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 13:26

Plan: none specific
Stats: 210/206/170
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up

Your absolutely right Brian. Zyban works wonders. I would recommend it to any one who has tried and failed in the past. Perhaps we should do a commercial.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 05:59

Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Question Question about Zyban

My Dr gave me a sample pack of Zyban. I understand the basics of what is does.

How long does it take for the Zyban to build up in your system, before you feel the effects? Few days, week?

Have been taking it for almost a week but don't feel any difference.

Thanks, John
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:11

BF:

Usually it is dosed at 1 pill (150 mg) daily for the first week, and 2 pills (300 mg) afterwards. It usually takes 2 weeks for the effects to be noticed.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:49

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks Atriana

I will be going to the 2-per day after the weekend. I just haven't felt any difference with the 1 a days.

Thanks for the info.

John
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 13:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 223/173/155-160
BF:
Progress:
Default Zyban (welbutrin)

they start you slow on the zyban because there is a slight increase in incidence of seizure, but once you're past the 3 days and haven't had any reaction then it's off to the quit smoking races......I'll be starting zyban soon....set my goal at 10 lbs from goal to quit and I'm almost there!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 06:47

BF:

John2001 - how is it going? I guess you have done your 2 pills per day for the last week - have you quit yet?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 07:16

BF:
Post Hi Atriana

Made it to the 2 a day for a week. Never felt any difference. I've now run out of the sample packs my Dr gave me. Debating on getting the prescription filled because of the lack of results I got personally. Don't think it ever slowed the desire for the cig's for me. I just mentally tried to quite / slow my intake of cigs.

I might try the gum first, before going to buy the zyban.

Back to the drawing board.

Cheers, John
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 07:27

BF:

If you can get your doctor to write the prescription for Wellbutrin instead of Zyban, your insurance may pay for it or if they don't the Wellbutrin will be much cheaper.
Wellbutrin is the same exact drug as Zyban. The difference is the packaging/marketing. Wellbutrin is marketed as an anti-depressant and Zyban is marketed as a quit smoking aid.
I've tried the Wellbutrin/Zyban twice and it didn't seem to have any effect on me either - but other people report marvelous results.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 08:54

BF:
Default Hi Atriana

Really..... Zyban = Welbutrin, Humm.... that might explain why I've been in a good mood recently. Had a very stressful day, last couple of days, involving an employee of mine. Thinking about it now, this situation would have usually stressed me out, but it didn't. Cool and calm during this event. Hummm... the Zyban effect. Interesting.

Thanks for the info on the product / cost / marketing differences.

Cheers, John
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 11:26

Stats: 203/186/170 Female 5 foot
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking Zyban did the trick

I quit smoking April 1, 2001 with the help of Zyban. I think it is the best thing ever invented besides the Atkin's diet. I gained 24 lbs. and January 1, 2002 I started Atkin's. I have lost the 24 lbs. that I gained and am shooting for another 26 lbs. I feel wonderful and will never go back to smoking. It really dictated my life and the smell is terrible. I can really notice the smell now. You don't when you yourself are a smoker. Now I know why it annoys non-smokers. I am not trying to sound like a nag, but it is true. I will never go back to that addiction.
You don't realize how smoking runs your life. If you are going to a party or visit someone, you are wondering and hoping that they smoke. It is the first thing on your mind all the time. Our city went non smoking and it stopped me from going to restaurants. It is very sad when I look back at it. I hope everyone trying to quit has the luck with Zyban that I did. It was my wonder drug.

Last edited by tinkerbell : Tue, Feb-26-02 at 11:38.