Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 162/160/135 Female 5'4
BF:33%/31%/25%
Progress: 7%
Default Is anyone quitting now?

Hi, I'm quitting smoking now, doing pretty well, using a patch, no weight gain at all but loss has really slowed. I don't mind since this all started with the 17 lbs I gained on last quit. My goal is to quit smokes and maintain the weight loss (eventually losing again).

Anyone else quitting now? How are you doing?
Donna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 16:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 402/234/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hey

I just quit smoking, 6 days, menthol free. No patches, no lozenges, and no inhalers. Its difficult, because my roommate smokes, but you know, all you gotta do is take it one second at a time, that and have someone lock up your weapons, because stuff gets on your nerves really quickly when youre quitting.

I'd say good luck, but its got nothing to do with luck at all

Be strong, and you'll be alright

-Angelica
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-06, 10:57

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

OK, I'm on board. I've been perusing these threads and decided to hunt down the Allan Carr book. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm starting to read it today.

I really, really, really want to quit -- again. I began smoking at about 11, am 44 in Nov. I'd tried the patch (itchy littler suckers), the gum. I tried hynosis, but wasn't "tranced". I faked it. Hey, I was alone with a strang man in a dimly lit office laying on the couch. Sorry, I wasn't fazing out for anybody! I stopped completely Oct 1999. No withdrawal, no nothing. Then started up again early last year, because, well, for no reason. I didn't have a craving or anything like that. Just wanted to taste one. I'm kicking myself now.

Hope this time I'm a smarter winner!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 03:20
Registered Member

The way Jande2211 relapsed is the way I always have, it's a crazy addiction. I quit once for 2 years, went back like that; 2 years again with my baby, went back like that. Most recently 5 very hard earned months and down the shore "relaxing" thought it would be nice to have "one." ha.

I was encouraged reading Atkins that this WOE makes it easier to sort of control other impulsive behavior and that people do end up quitting smoking and such. So far I find this time quitting a bit easier. No major temptations yet. I guess I have about 20 days or so down? Wow, haven't even been counting that's good.

Another good think on this WOE - haven't gained any weight quitting yet which was NEVER true in the past. :-)

Nice to hear from others! Alan Carr's book works for so many people, let me know what it's all about....
Same thing about "good luck," I'll just say, "good job." :-)

Donna
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 04:07

Plan: Modified Low carb w/ 3 hr
Stats: 219/216.6/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

You all can do this. I know it is hard, I've been there. I quit Labor Day 1994... just woke up thru my smokes away and turned into the B**** from hell for about 2 weekes. Thank God my DH tuffed it out. I just wih he had quit too. He still smokes about 1 pack a day. I was up to 2 packs a day when I quit. Now I am one of those reformed smokers that just cant stand the smell. Stick with you all you can do this.
Pam
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 04:24
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I quit 5 years ago, I think it was the hardest thing i ever did, but its nice not being controled by them any more.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 07:21
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I could'nt agree more Liddie. During times of stress it's still the first thing that comes to mind. I truly hate that.
I been smoke free over 2 1/2 years now after smoking for 22 years. Guess the mental thing will take some more time to get all phantom cravings out of my head. But 90% of the time I forget I was ever a smoker. See how bad that poison screws us up?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 15:49

BF:

I thought twice about posting the above. I'm glad I did. You know how stupid I was, without really making me feel more stupid than I needede. Thank you sincerely. Really gracious.

The book is logical so far. I am not. I'm dealing with things and using smokes as my excuse. Lame-o-rama. Just stupid.

I'd kick myself but I have both my feet in my mouth from another post. Should keep me safe from smoking for an hour or so.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 18:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzedAng
I could'nt agree more Liddie. During times of stress it's still the first thing that comes to mind. I truly hate that.
I been smoke free over 2 1/2 years now after smoking for 22 years. Guess the mental thing will take some more time to get all phantom cravings out of my head. But 90% of the time I forget I was ever a smoker. See how bad that poison screws us up?

I'm just now getting to the point where I don't find myself thinking about smoking at some point every day; not in the sense of 'I want to' but more along the lines of 'I used to'.
As a former nicotine addict, your brain is always going to be 'wired' to have all the receptors for nicotine that were there the day that you quit, just waiting to be 'tickled' again with the same substance. The physical addiction passes within a few weeks, but those receptors will be there for the rest of our lives. That's why all it takes to get hooked again for most people is just one puff. All it takes to stay quit is to never take another puff although personally, I find it easier to say that I won't smoke today than to say that I'll never smoke again ever in my life. Today and right now I have a lot more control over than the rest of my future.

Jande, I tried the patch (once...bizarre nightmares ), the gum (several times), the Welbutrin (made my ears ring like crazy), and even that silly nicotine inhaler thingie. The only thing that has worked for me long-term was a cold-turkey quit. Keep quitting...it'll stick eventually.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-06, 14:25

BF:

You're right, Lisa. And as of today, I'm choosing to be a non-smoker. OK, I tried at 8PM yesterday, and then 1AM. But 2:17PM today was the last one.

It's currently 3:24, and the battle has ensued. I won't negotiate with this terrorist. Why, I'm even determined to not take it out on my husband. OK, that last was a joke.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-06, 15:04

BF:

Quote:
It's currently 3:24, and the battle has ensued. I won't negotiate with this terrorist. Why, I'm even determined to not take it out on my husband. OK, that last was a joke.

Truly, the effects of nicotine withdrawal are very mild when you consider the level of addictiveness that it has. Even at peak withdrawal, no craving will last more than 3 minutes and most don't experience more than 12 craving episodes a day during that period. Don't believe me? Get out a stopwatch and time it. Surely we can tolerate 30 to 36 minutes total of mild anxiety in the pursuit of freedom from addiction? And that's on the worst day. After 72 hours, the craving episodes get fewer and milder.
It's possible to talk yourself into a worse experience than it has to be.
The nicotine replacement industry has most that consider quitting absolutely convinced that withdrawal from nitotine is so horrible that it can't be tolerated (at least not without their products ). Hogwash. I was crabbier when I kept myself in a constant state of withdrawal using those NR products than I ever was qutting cold turkey. In fact, this last quit it was cold turkey. I didn't tell anyone and it took my family a full week to realize that I had quit (I never smoked in the house).
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 08:44

BF:

Mornin'. Was up way way late. It was a SF soda, with caffeine, not need for a smoke. I'm beat. Being tired, I feel like my defenses are down and that I'm not as strong in my desire to stay smoke free. So, lesson learned: get some sleep!

Now, having said all that, I'm not craving like I thought I would. Lisa, I didn't know about the timing of the cravings. The few that I've had don't seem to last that long! Cool for me! Also, I'm on board with you about NRT. Just a moronic idea to think they could get us off nicotine, by changing the way we receive it. Wish I'd never gone that route. Plus, for the longest time (couple of years) I had a mark on my left arm where I wore the last patch. Allergic reaction or something?

I think my husband is hoping I will fail, since he usually is the first to get me smokes. I'd like to severely disappoint him. (or maybe it's the cravings talking here??)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 19:30

BF:

Quote:
for the longest time (couple of years) I had a mark on my left arm where I wore the last patch. Allergic reaction or something?

Could be. Whenver I get a blood draw, I ask them to use paper tape since the adhesive on regular bandages gives me a nasty rash that takes a few days to clear up and itches like mad.
Make sure that you stay well-hydrated (extra water) and watch out for sugar cravings during the first 72 hours or so while your body is detoxing from the nicotine; the extra water will help your body clear the nicotine out quicker and also help your liver and kidneys work at their best.
You may feel a bit brain-fogged and tired for a bit as well while your brain is getting used to functioning without that regular nicotine hit; within 2 weeks that should be gone as well.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 21:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 402/234/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 69%

You know, quitting cold turkey, it hasnt been as difficult as I would have imagined. Its all got to do with how bad you want it. I attempted to quit before, I started with the patches, which say you can wear them overnight, but should be removed if you have 'vivid' dreams. Vivid is an understatement, I've never EVER had a dream feel so real, it was, incredible, and terrible, as it happened to be a nightmare, and not some nice dream about me and a handsome young man - anyway, back to my point, I say ditch all the patches and other stop smoking BS, everything is a business, including health

Anyway, its day 23 for me keep going guys, and dont be too hard on yourself if you slip up
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-06, 04:42
Registered Member

Yeah, I think it all depends on the individuals. My husband is quitting too and agrees about the NRT but I am a teacher and I can't really handle the ups and downs of cold turkey in my opinion in this kind of job. The patch seems to be helping me to gradually get rid of the whole habit and not go from 20 cigs of nicotine to 0 nicotine plus all the physical habit,mental habit, psychological habit breaking etc. in one day. For individuals who kind of need moderation it helps. It's working for me, so far so good. :-) I do hate the sticky, itchy arm though. :-(

Donna