Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 17:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default intermittent fasting question

This board is the first I've heard of it, but I guess I've been DOING it for years since I have a long history of skipping breakfast and/or lunch. BUT it seems so counter-intuitive. ALL the diet books - including Atkins!- say not to skip meals, and that eating frequently keeps the metabolism going. Can anyone convince me about the fasting? It would be more comfortable for me, but I fear slowing down my already slow metabolism...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 17:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Just read a new post which answers your question. This newer website, Authority Nutrition, covers many different aspects of low carb Paleo with clearly written explanations. Look around at some of his other popular articles.

http://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-meals-per-day/

Also realize IF has many definitions, it can be whatever plan fits your habits, what you can do comfortably, and that may change through your weight loss journey. 16/8 or 20/4 hours, 5/2 days, etc. And the fasting period can include coffee with coconut oil or butter in the morning.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Mar-21-13 at 04:31.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 20:57

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have done IF for over 5 years. I believe it will be 6 years next month.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 03:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/165 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

this low carb journey for me has been an eye opener.

I never ate until 11-12-1 pm. late eater. hate breakfast.

but when I started this IF I EAT a big breakfast of eggs, bit of cheese and bacon I noticed I eat and want so much less food for the entire day.

huh? go figure.

when I eat my normal pattern of 12-1 pm first food of the day I eat a TON more food for the day.

huh? surprised about that.

I don't know. but eating that breakfast made all the difference to me. changing my eating pattern.

I am not one that says 3 squares a day are needed.
Many times I eat my big breakfast and go without lunch and have only a small dinner.

When I skip my breakfast now I don't do as well thru the day with food choices etc.

I just find it funny that this low carb is best if I eat a big breakfast. So my eating pattern has changed.

I tried a 'type' of IF. wasn't for me only because I like to eat
I tried like a 16 hr window. couldn't do it. I decided if I can eat my way and lose weight why not eat?

I do have a few days of IF that are unintentional. just not hungry so I guess it helps me.

for me it is not about metabolism. eh. for me it is about food and having a full belly. if I get into that 'super hungry' feeling then there is no telling what I might eat. go crazy on food.
as long as my hunger is gone, I can stick to any meal plan and lose weight. So having a full belly for me is what is making this low carb lifestyle doable and keeping me satisified.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 04:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I sort of slowly evovled into IF on this way of eating over time. I had my daughter and as she's gotten older, I sort of ended up putting off eating anything until her afternoon nap time, so I'd eat a huge lunch then because I was really hungry by the time her nap rolled around. Then I might or might not eat a little at dinner time with her and the hubby. Lost really steadily and well doing that until I hit my wall at 165 lbs. Only eating one big meal a day didn't hurt my weight loss in the least, and I loved having one really big, decadent meal- usually a big burger patty or a whole chicken breast and a BIG salad with lots of veggies, cheese and dressing.

Since I've hit my 165 stall yet again I've added exercise. IF is NOT working for me now. So I'm figuring out how to eat some breakfast, I've cut back portions on my lunch, and I'm hungry again at dinner time. Still stuck at ~165, but losing inches rapidly.

In short- I think eating when you are hungry is key. If you're not hungry for breakfast, it's fine to skip it. Your metabolism isn't going to tank- if your body doesn't need fuel, why put stuff in? It all depends on your level of activity. To me, on low carb plans, learning to recognize true hunger is a wonderful thing, and is the reason why they work!

Best of luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 06:26

BF:

losing those inches is key also Zu. so true. as long as 'something' positive is happening it is a great reason to stay strong and hold the course
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 06:40

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
And the fasting period can include coffee with coconut oil or butter in the morning.

obviously you can do IF any way you want, whatever works best for you, but if you have coffee with coconut oil or butter, you are actually breaking your fast. your body is processing those oil or butter. drinking coffee black might not 'count' but with those added in, it does.

i've naturally done IF, never being much of a morning eater. typically i don't eat til after 2 or 3 and it works really well for me. it's one of those things that i think is very personal and you need to do what works for you. some people try IF and it doesn't work for them because they get too hungry. some people do better eating more frequently and this woe is about figuring out what works for you.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 07:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph317
obviously you can do IF any way you want, whatever works best for you, but if you have coffee with coconut oil or butter, you are actually breaking your fast. your body is processing those oil or butter. drinking coffee black might not 'count' but with those added in, it does.

Technically yes but I use CO for the purpose of lowering blood sugar/ insulin, and promoting autophagy, its use is encouraged to enhance results.

Quote:
“Doesn’t This Break the Fast?”
This is the most common question I get as how this also can fit into an IF or 2 Meals lifestyle.
In short “Yes”, as anything but water “breaks” a true fast.
However I also like to ask the question “What particular benefit are you looking to maintain with 100% fasting?”.
If it is lower blood sugar/insulin, then that is still maintained as fat alone should not impact levels (like protein and carbs will).
If it is for autophagy, then you are still having the proper environment with lower insulin/blood sugar and protein intake. Also combined with caffeine will help through mTOR/p70S6K inhibition (inverse relationship with autophagy).
Still want to burn fat? Well coconut oil shown above will increase EE (energy expenditure) and not inhibit overall fat oxidation. In fact one small study (Klein S, 1992) done comparing metabolic parameters of a fasted state vs lipid (fat) only showed:
Changes in plasma glucose, free fatty acids, ketone bodies, insulin, and epinephrine concentrations during fasting were the same in both the control and lipid studies.

http://www.theiflife.com/2-meal-coconut-oil-coffee/
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 08:04

BF:

I also go by a 'fast is a fast'

water

you're done

but obviously everyone can do tons of shades of grey to make it work for you
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and IF
Stats: 255/183.8/105 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 47%

I do IF because I'm not hungry for breakfast or lunch. I eat a small meal at 5 pm and another small meal at 8 pm. I've been losing about 1/2 pound a day. I know I should probably eat more, but I'm just following my hunger signals.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 18:06

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

I had lost some weight then stalled for nearly 2 months,, I asked on here aboit IF started leaving myself a window from 2 till 7.and this worked and I started loosing again..the problem I had and still do, is im nnot a breakfast person, never have been, i dont normally get hungry till about 12, 1 in the afternoon, so pushing my hunger till 2 worked for me, by then I wanted to eat, then I wont eat after 7 as late nite binging was something I used to do(kids had gone to bed, relax and treat myself, lol)...so knowing I couldnt eat past a certain time stopped my binging....I think if it feels like a natural way for you to eat then it could be right for you.....I dont think it hinders weight loss, sometimes its good to keep our old(well mine) metabolism guessing....
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 149/138/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 46%

If it works for you do it When I have my first calories after 4pm to 6pm my weight tends to go down. Even when I'm not low carbing and I do IF my weight still either goes down or stays the same. That's me though. I can go long periods of time without eating. In fact I find if I do have something to eat for breakfast or dinner, I ma hungrier throughout the day, making me eat more.