Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-18, 13:02

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Sambal and Chili Garlic Sauce

I was writing this in another thread and thought I would share for anyone not familiar with the products. Here is some copy from that other post with some added stuff.

I have used many sauces and products for years like many, and many of them are Asian in origin. I was unhappy to find that Sriracha sauce, a product I seem to be seeing everywhere nowadays in cuisine, has sugar in it, like the second ingredient. Another product that has gained traction in the Anglo world from Korea is Gochijang. Even the authentic Gochijang (I like to think when there's virtually no English on the label its "authentic" but who knows) I have been buying, the second ingredient is corn syrup. The English Labeled version that pops up as "Amazon's choice" has corn syrup as the first ingredient.

I have been perfecting my own tweaks on different Asian sauces for some years now trying to get like the restaurant versions I've had in authentic Asian restaurants (ones that aren't primarily carryout and buffets!). BUT, now I have to start a new life, tweaking those sauces to avoid sugar and even honey to stay truly low carb.

I made a great stir fry last night that fixed that problem for only one sauce flavor profile (it wont be a fix for all my sauces) using a product I have used for years that I could not be happier is no sugar. But you would not believe it because its sweet! You HAVE to love spicy food though, which we do. It's chili garlic sauce. I've even made it myself from garden peppers and fresh garlic bulbs.

This is the product I usually buy at my local Asian market:

https://www.amazon.com/Huy-Fong-Fre...+Sauce+Huy+Fong

If you like it spicy, this is not outrageous, but to use enough to get the sweetness from it you better not be a spice wimp. I like food to make me sweat, this is not THAT spicy. I could eat the stuff by the teaspoon straight and not flinch, but I'm hardcore!

It's almost identical to the product more well known called Sambal Olek:

https://www.amazon.com/Huey-Fong-Sa...keywords=sambal

packaged by the same folks, but Sambal doesn't have the garlic. We like garlic and I try to eat as much as possible since its really good for you.

Both of these products are amazingly sweet and delicious for having no sugar

the sauce I threw together was:
A little fish sauce, a good amount of Thai Mushroom Soy,: http://www.templeofthai.com/food/sa...-5134200219.php
(Do NOT substitute for any other mushroom soy, you will need an Asian grocer for this stuff, I used to buy it directly from my favorite Thai restaurant until it started showing up in the Asian markets too), a sploosh of rice vinegar (not seasoned!) and a hefty gloop of either of these chili sauces, and a splash of water to make a little less salty, makes a great stir fry sauce. The key being, always add your sauce right at the end, toss well, bring to the boil, allow to thicken if needed and remove and eat immediately.

You dont want to boil your stir fry very much or very long or let it sit to keep cooking if you like your veggies kind of crunchy like me.

Also to this sauce last night, I DID use 1 teaspoon of gluttonous rice flour. Only 2 grams carbs per teaspoon and it added that little bit of stickiness to the sauce without making it goopy. 2 grams of carbs spread over about 2.75 servings is not bad, the vegetables probably had more. I will have some xanthan gum eventually to play with.

Sorry for all the technical terms! Ha! I haven't started my low carb recipe documentation yet, I'll be doing a brand new batch of measures and refined sauce recipes in the future like I've done with pre-low carb recipes. I can dump cook really well, but to duplicate something perfectly there needs to be measurements...also to share them, most people dont work well with measurements like Gloop and sploosh!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-18, 14:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I buy Chili Garlic Sauce in the 18oz jar because it has no sugar and is made by Huy Fong Foods in California, the same company that makes the Famous saracha. It does gives you a flush but not in place of flavor.
It's good stuff!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 11:42

BF:

Yep, that's the stuff! A very healthy sauce/condiment for anyone at any time diet or not.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 11:58

BF:

But and I only say that because of serving size.
It seems that in the US if a serving size is just under one gram it is listed as 0g. In this case one teaspoon says 0 sugar 0 carb.
So using 2-3 tablespoons could feasibly equal 7-8g carbs or more.

Because, as we know tomatoes are very high in carbs because
of the natural sugars they contain which are
not shown in the list of ingredients since it's naturally occurring in the tomatoes and not added.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 14:26

BF:

interesting that my link above to this doesn't work

I have often seen on more modern nutritional labels the have a < before the zero to indicate its less than 1 gram? You can see that on the sugar line on the product labeling in this listing. A quick web search doesn't answer the question

https://www.amazon.com/Huy-Fong-Fre...li+garlic+sauce

Chili peppers have 7.3 net carbs per 4 oz which course is 1/4 lb, quite a lot of chili peppers.

Same with Garlic, 1/4lb is about 25 carbs...but that a lot of garlic.

So that's a good point. I wonder if anyone here will chime in with any knowledge on that?

BUT! Huy Fong Chili Garlic sauce has no tomatoes in it

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Wed, Jan-24-18 at 14:40.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 21:31

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Great post! I use loads of the stuff - My local store has gallon size, that's just about right! As far as the carbs go, since it's mostly ripe chilies I use 4NC / 100g - might be wrong but it works for me

#7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 21:35

BF:

Hi Thud

That's the exact type I have and I bought it because of you!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 11:27

BF:

That's the stuff Thud! Wow, gallon size...I could eat it like soup I suppose!

You are in the correct range on the chili’s, my factor was for 1/4lb which I was high at 130 grams, its actually 113.4 grams (I always rounded up to 30 grams for ounces 28.4 grams…I won’t even go in to how I readily know this in my head). Garlic has some real carbs too. I was just pulling quickly from whatever web site came on up the nutrition facts. Also, the sauce has salt and vinegar in it, so the entire weight is not chili's and garlic. It's likely less in carbs per volume or weight than if calculating pure chili's and garlic. I have a recipe for a homemade version, I should be able to calculate that closely (see below)

The deeper question is what Meme wrote, I wonder what 0 grams per tsp actually is. If they are able to say 0 grams because the "serving size" is less than 1 whole gram, then who knows the larger volume facts...they aren't telling us. And how sneaky of them to pick a tsp. serving size, probably becasue that's the size that they can list as ZERO! Meme was spot on about zero not being "zero", we know its not free food...I just got excited and out over my skis

The Hoy Fong Web site is maddening. A bunch of flash and flare and junk with little real info we are looking for. I called them, and they are useless on the subject on the phone. They told me to email customer service, which I did. I’ll report back if and what reply I get from them.

That big jug still has the same tsp serving size on it as the smaller jars . I found it on amazon. 136oz for $31.26. How does that compare to the price you are paying Thud?

Using 1 tsp as a serving (5 grams).

Using this web site's data:

https://your-calories.com/chili-peppers

There are 7.64 net carbs per 100 grams in chili peppers

https://your-calories.com/garlic

About 31 net grams carbs per 100 grams in garlic

But let’s, just for fun, calculate as a homemade version. I removed the sugar from this recipe:

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/...li-garlic-sauce

Which references itself to this very Hoy Fong product we are discussing.

Using the data from those two links above for the chili’s and garlic, then figuring the weight of the vinegar (regular white vinegar) and the salt, here’s my calculations if using this homemade recipe (Omitting the sugar for low carb)

4 ounces spicy chili peppers=113.4 grams= 8.66 grams net carbs

4- cloves of garlic= I’ll call that 12 grams based on the link I provide above. It aggravates me when people do recipes with those kinds of measurements. Garlic cloves can vary widely by size. Anyway…
Garlic, 12 grams= 3.72 grams carbs net carbs

2 tbls or 1/8 cup vinegar is 29.75 grams weight

1 tsp salt=I use Morton’s Kosher Salt 62 grams per ¼ cup=1.29 grams per tsp
*I used 1 tsp. The recipe says "to taste". Your mileage may vary

156.4 grams total weight
12.38 grams total net carbs
=.079 grams carbs per gram weight x 5 grams/teaspoon (according to Hoy Fong label 5g=1 tsp)
=.4 grams carbs per teaspoon/5 grams of this homemade chili garlic sauce recipe.

I happen to have a precision scale and I tare’d a weight on the Sambal sauce I have open right now (Also Hoy Fung, basically the same thing as the chili garlic sauce but without the garlic (which would theoretically be less carbs), and it does in fact weigh real close to 5 grams per teaspoon. The way I use a teaspoon, it's more like 7 grams! But I scraped off just a bit of the sauce so the level was just below the edge of my high quality measuring spoons and it was like 5.2 grams…but even thought this is complex math to some…I’m not splitting milligrams!

So, if I’ve done my math right, and this recipe is anywhere close to what the Hoy Fong product is, that’s about 1.2 carbs per tablespoon…or 1.5 the way I measure stuff!

So at least if we find out Hoy Fong is hiding some bad carb mojo in their packaging label, we know we have a homemade recipe we should be able to trust!

I’ll report back on any results from my customer service request to Hoy Fong

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Thu, Jan-25-18 at 11:37.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 15:46

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Europe - well, Germany anyway, and I assume all of the EU - gives the nutrition info for 100 grams, which makes so much more sense to me. Much easier to compare oranges to oranges, as it were. Of course, they can't do the slight of hand of figuring "zero" for some minuscule, unrealistic amount.
Love this thread. I have made my own fermented sriracha, which was lovely. I have a hard time locating sufficient amounts of hot red peppers in my part of Oregon to be able to do this on a regular basis. Somehow I can't get excited about green sriracha or sambal oelek :-)
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 16:04

BF:

Verbena,

I agree on the 100g sample nutrition. I'm learning that now. I'm surprised I didn't see that coming...I have been angry at the smaller packaging scams manufacturers are doing in the U.S.. I want my 6oz cans of tuna back! Charge me more, dont treat me like an idiot! But so many people are suckers, thats why they get away with it.

I'm in Virginia, so I grow my peppers right up till freeze which can be easily in to October. I have peppers all season coming out my...ah, hem... I always grow jalapenos, Hungarian wax and then something really spicy and something thick fleshed, but all spicy. I have no interest in mild peppers, at least not for me to do the work to grow and tend. I pickle and make homemade sauces too, even blister-roast the fleshy ones and peel and freeze for roasted pepper recipes.

I have been in to fermenting too. Used to make my own kimchi, but still cant beat the flavor of the good stuff from the Asian market!...so I went back to buying it, its half the price the regular supermarkets charge.

I'd love some wisdom on the homemade sriracha. The store bought stuff I have has sugar as the second ingredient

If your recipe for it is sugar free or ferments the sugar out I'd love to see it
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 16:15

BF:

THUD!

Dude Man Bro...you are the Shiznit! I went through all of this, and got a reply back from Hoy Fong. Here's the nutrition for the 100 gram sample. (attachment)

We're going to go ahead and believe them, what choice do we have?

So your 4 grams per 100grams was spot on. That's .2 grams carbs for that 5 gram teaspoon or .6 grams per tablespoon. Good news, I'm doing pan fried Chinese style green beans tonight and Sambal and or Chili Garlic sauce is my jamb on that!

That's half of what I calculated on the homemade recipe above. One thing is for sure, when I make homemade chili garlic sauce, it comes out with a LOT less liquid than the Hoy Fong product. Maybe they use more vinegar etc. and put in the Xanthan gum to thicken it back up to that sort of...aloe vera consistency (best I could come up with on short notice to describe it!)

Whats the deal with posting pictures here? I have to pay to be able to blog style get my pics to just "be there" in my post like yours? Mine show up as an attachment, and pretty measly size restriction too. That's a shame because I can be a prolific step by step recipe poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chili garlic sauce nutrition.jpg (34.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Fri, Jan-26-18 at 16:28.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 16:28

BF:

I had to look it up. 100g=3.52 ounces=6 1/2T
8g carbs for 3.52 ounces of sauce
That's pretty good!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Jan-26-18 at 21:42.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 19:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
Whats the deal with posting pictures here? I have to pay to be able to blog style get my pics to just "be there" in my post like yours? Mine show up as an attachment, and pretty measly size restriction too. That's a shame because I can be a prolific step by step recipe poster.

You can upload your pictures to our gallery .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/ .. then use "BB Image Code:" link to have the image(s) show up in your post. Keep in mind there's a size limit there too, although it's bigger than for attachments.

If you want to post a lot of images for free, your best bet would be to use a third-party image hosting site .. for example .. https://imgbb.com. There are others; just do a web search for "free image hosting". You upload your pics to those sites, and they provide you with a BB code to use in your forum post(s). Of course, "free" means there's a lot of ads .

hth

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 20:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
Verbena,

I agree on the 100g sample nutrition. I'm learning that now. I'm surprised I didn't see that coming...I have been angry at the smaller packaging scams manufacturers are doing in the U.S.. I want my 6oz cans of tuna back! Charge me more, dont treat me like an idiot! But so many people are suckers, thats why they get away with it.

I'm in Virginia, so I grow my peppers right up till freeze which can be easily in to October. I have peppers all season coming out my...ah, hem... I always grow jalapenos, Hungarian wax and then something really spicy and something thick fleshed, but all spicy. I have no interest in mild peppers, at least not for me to do the work to grow and tend. I pickle and make homemade sauces too, even blister-roast the fleshy ones and peel and freeze for roasted pepper recipes.

I have been in to fermenting too. Used to make my own kimchi, but still cant beat the flavor of the good stuff from the Asian market!...so I went back to buying it, its half the price the regular supermarkets charge.

I'd love some wisdom on the homemade sriracha. The store bought stuff I have has sugar as the second ingredient

If your recipe for it is sugar free or ferments the sugar out I'd love to see it

Hi Ken (Am I right? It is Ken?), I appear to have purged my recipe for sriracha. It did contain sugar, and that is no longer interesting for me. I made a large amount several years ago, and kept most of it in the freezer (it is fermented initially, but then heated with vinegar to keep it from separating; at the rate I use it I feel more comfortable keeping the extra frozen). DH doesn't like it, so it lasts awhile here. If I find the recipe again I will post it. I still use the sauce, as the sugar amount per recipe wasn't a lot, and per tablespoon, or two, it is quite small. If I make it again I would skip the sugar and see what happens.
I used to grow peppers when I lived in California, but haven't had much luck here in Oregon; I'm not quite sure why, as our summers can get fairly hot. Other people seem to be able to manage it, so perhaps it is my soil. As stated, I can get hot peppers from the farmers' market, but the majority are green.
I like fermenting, and have done a fair bit. Sauerkraut is just about idiot proof, and I have fermented other veg as well. I haven't tried kimchi yet; not because I don't like it, but because my SIL is Korean, and I occasionally get jars from her.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 20:19

BF:

OK, I did a bit of searching and found the recipe that I have used: https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/bl...t-sriracha.html -- obviously, I used the fermented recipe, not the other one.
But while I was searching I found this one as well: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2...-sriracha-sauce -- As this one uses AS it isn't as exciting as I thought it might be.
As stated, if/when I make this again I will probably use the first recipe, and cut out the sugar.