Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#121   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 13:31

Plan: One meal a day CAD style!
Stats: 235/212/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thought I'd cross-post this from a reply I did on another forum since it might be of benefit to share this with you folks:

Today for breakfast and for a change from my usual eggs and bacon, I
made lettuce wraps with lots of fresh veggies from the fridge. I got the
idea from this recipe from the Heller's CAD cook book.

We buy in bulk to save money and to have lots of produce and food
availble to stay on track easier. Also, I tend to cook in big batches as
well to have food on hand to eat off of for the next couple 2-3 days in
advance. I try to cook things that I can use for BOTH CM's and RM's.

Cash & Carry is a bulk store that you don't need a membership to like
Costco or Sam's. Some of their prices are even better than Costco, most
might be a buck or two higher so it is still a better savings compared
to a regular grocery store. They sell to restaurants and coffee places
so they have tons of neat stuff to buy- even produce!

We buy cases of cabbage, HUGE bags of cilantro, parsely, Kale, green
onions, radishes, brocoli, celery, serrano peppers. All for usually $3
roughly a bag. The cabbage was like 82 cents a pound and keeps for
MONTHS in a cool garage and can be used at any CM and is very filling.
You can get good deals on bricks of cream cheese, sliced cheeses, bricks
of cheese, whole cuts of beef and pork, etc for discount prices. Even
dried goods and pantry items that are more suitable for RM's.

(Did you know cabbage was the key to the ancient Roman's success?
Cabbage was a mainstay since it kept so well and could be supplied to
the front line troops).

Anyways, point is we eat a lot of veggies around here, at almost every
meal. I also cook up meat ahead and try to think of multiple uses. I've
got 2 rabbits in the crock pot to slow cook all day to use for stir fry,
enchiladas, salads. We raise our own and use it in any dish you'd use
chicken. Rabbit is the highest in protein, least in calories, fat,
cholesterol compared to: beef, pork, goat, sheep, chicken. It is very
dense and dry compared to other meats, and less amounts actually fill
you up more than larger portions of beef due to the denseness of the
meat. We bake up roasts to use as a main in one meal, meat for CM's,
and diced up in stews or stir fry. We also make lots of variations on
curry dishes that are always tasty and green curry goes well with
chicken, rabbit, seafood, Red curry is great with beef, and so is Brown
curry. We buy our curry in bulk from asian stores at discounted prices.

I make up big batches of spaghetti sauces to use for spaghetti,
spaghetti pie, even lasagnas. You can have several meals that are
different if you use your imagination and change around the veggies,
carbs that go with it.

The breakfast CM wrap:

2 large lettuce leaves (Romaine or red curled work well)

Slice or two of CM acceptable turkey or favorite lunch meat, baked
turkey, etc

2-3 TBSP of cream cheese

ANY other veggies you like! I diced up celery, green onions, and placed
in each wrap a few sprigs of parsley and cilantro. Then roll the entire
thing up like a burrito and enjoy! Very crunchy, satisfying, fresh I
had 2 and am still full almost an hour later. These work great at any
CM- even breakfast. Only your imagination can limit you.

Another favorite breakfast CM of mine and Hubbys: fried cabbage with
bacon. You can also scramble in an egg and it is awesome. I have this
for ANY meal and feel full and satisfied. Something about cabbage that
is very filling.

Cilantro and parsley are great for detoxing heaving metals from the
body. All veggies have some benefit: vitamins, minerals, trace
elements (we even need certain forms of arsenic!), fiber. Even iceburg
lettuce is an excellent source of Vit K which is very beneficial.

Don't get me wrong, I love my junk like fresh donuts from the bakery,
KitKats, Snickers, ice cream, beer, wine, etc but I do try to balance
that stuff with plenty of nutritious and natural foods as well

MIW
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 13:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonDépart
Hello CAD/CALP'ers.
I was here a few months ago but well off the plan.
I've been doing a lot of thinking about which WOE is going to be the best for me, and I still believe that CAD is the best fit. But Ive yet to make a start.

However, it seems that losing weight itself isn't enough motivation for me. I do need to lose a lot of weight but I'd like to put that aside for a moment and ask you all :

"What other benefits have you noticed with CAD/CALP, in addition to weight loss?"
This could be improved mood, clearer skin, less creaky knees etc , anything that's just better since you started to follow this WOE. I think that may help me to be more motivated, rather than just focusing on weight loss.

Oh ya, another thing that I've noticed which is kind of weird is that I am no longer biting my nails. I have been a lifelong nail biter and after about a month in to this woe I realized I hadn't been biting them anymore! I did not make a conscious effort either. Maybe the carbs just made me extra jittery or anxious? IDK but that is something else. Also, even though I have only lost bouncing between 13-15 pounds in the last 90 days after the first month I was not waking up with back pain. That is something I've dealt with on and off since the age of 19 due to a combo of car accidents (3) and weight. I wouldn't think only 15 lbs would do that, considering I've lost close to 40lbs in the past on WW and still had chronic back pain! Maybe it helps with chronic inflammation to a certain degree? I do have psoriasis on my scalp that is the same so no change there dang it! LOL

MIW
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 15:21
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
great post, MiW.

I have been on CALP almost 10 years, and I have a lot more energy. My skin is clear- no more rosacia. I have normal kidney and liver function. My CRP is less than half of what it used to be. Triglycerides low, HDL up. Joints and muscles great. Fit in a kayak better! Can buy all kinds of clothes I could not before. I am colder- not always a positive! Still get migraines but MUCh milder and less frequent. Don't get colds as much. Feel better all around.
Look younger too!

Had the sausage and peppers for RM- with salad and a roll. Having it tonight and tomorrow too. Then any leftovers will go into the freezer.
So that's all for me!
E
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 15:35

Plan: CAD/Gluten-free
Stats: 263/211/125 Female 62 inches (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks for that post MiW, I found it very helpful! Sorry I've been MIA a few days- been so busy!! But I am here! My weight has stabilized at 243.8 (funny how my body loves the .8 so much) since I've been on my period. Today's RM was eggs, a baked potato, a fruit smoothie, and half a protein bar. This was my rm yesterday too (except toast instead of the baked potato)

Met with a personal trainer today- and I will be working with him 3 times a week- yay! He wants me to go to the gym 6 days a week, and when I am not training with him I will do cardio.

The only problem I can foresee is that he has an eating plan he wants me to follow- just hearing it I know I want to stay on CAD. I will take some of his suggestions- he likes that I eat carbs in the morning only but wants me to eat more vegetables with my other meals and wants me to eat more complex carbs for breakfast (oatmeal instead of potatoes or toast). But I don't think I am going to follow the suggestion of eating pretty much no dietary fat. A little fat helps me feel satisfied. Not saying I know more than him or anything but I am finally on something that is working and if it aint broke, why try and fix it?
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 15:38

BF:

Makeitwork- just checking over the posts I missed and have to say BIG congrats on your inch loss!!!!!! That DOES speak volumes- more so than the scale!
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 17:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyrose
Makeitwork- just checking over the posts I missed and have to say BIG congrats on your inch loss!!!!!! That DOES speak volumes- more so than the scale!

Thanks so much. I am not discouraged one bit. I know I am losing FAT not muscle. My metabolism with get with the program as I have a lot of weight to lose but I am enjoying every minute of this WOE.

I say as a life long dieter we all know what we can eat to lose weight. The point of this woe is that it is something you can do for life. Let the trainer train you to exercise and leave the eating bit to your own devices. If you start restricting food groups, limiting, etc you will feel like you are on a diet and the blessing of the Heller's research is that you shouldn't have to put too much thought into.

However, if you WANT to switch out oatmeal for toast- go for it! I love oatmeal!!! LOL

MIW
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 08:27

BF:

Thanks Miw- exactly what I needed to hear!! I guess I just need to remind myself that this is for life and something I can do forever, not just while I'm losing weight. I'm sure he is trying to get the quickest fat loss, but I don't need the quickest- I need the kind that will stick around!!
242.6 today- new low! I think for my rm I will do a protein shake with bananas and berries, egg and toast, and some form of chocolate- really wishing I had ice cream so maybe I will send hubby to the store before he goes to work for me
I'm also going to go do cardio at the gym today- either after my daughters therapy or after my photoshoot tonight.
My baby girl is turning 1 this weekend! So that will be fun
  #128   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 10:54

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyrose
Thanks Miw- exactly what I needed to hear!! I guess I just need to remind myself that this is for life and something I can do forever, not just while I'm losing weight. I'm sure he is trying to get the quickest fat loss, but I don't need the quickest- I need the kind that will stick around!!
242.6 today- new low! I think for my rm I will do a protein shake with bananas and berries, egg and toast, and some form of chocolate- really wishing I had ice cream so maybe I will send hubby to the store before he goes to work for me
I'm also going to go do cardio at the gym today- either after my daughters therapy or after my photoshoot tonight.
My baby girl is turning 1 this weekend! So that will be fun

You're doing great, melodyrose!
Don't let that personal trainer tell you how to eat. Did you tell him you lost 20 lbs without his advice already?!? LOL He may be helpful in motivating you to exercise but I think you got the eating thing down and only you know what works and doesn't work with your body.

Today's meal:
RM B - Eggs on toast, banana, brownie with vanilla ice cream, chai tea (ran out of cream so I used a bit of vanilla ice cream, yumm-o!)

CM meals yesterday were:
L - 1 small chicken breast with mayo
D - small bowl of spaghetti sauce w/ground beef and parm cheese (everyone else had spaghetti dinner with the pasta)
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 11:46
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I think it's great that everyone is doing so well. I am concerned that so many posted meals- both RM and CM- do not include veggies and are so carb heavy for RM.
I have been doing this for almost 10 years- veggies and more of a balance in RM are consistent themes of longterm success. JMHO.

Planned RM tonight: salad, peppers and mushrooms, sausage link, red sauce, 1/2 roll, water.
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 21:11

BF:

thanks enomarb, you are very right and I am glad to hear advice from someone who has successfully maintained doing this lifestyle. I am working hard to include more veggies (I usually hate veggies except with carbs lol)!

As far as the heavy-carb rms, I got to goal in the past with CAD in the past and this was about the way I ate (pretty carb heavy at RM) so it's kind of what I am used to. But also I haven't read the new book but I am thinking about it. It seems like weight loss would possibly be even faster! Ofcourse, I've had a consistent loss of 3 lbs or so a week so I am kinda unliking the idea of making the rm less carby...lol

today:
rm: protein shake, baked potato, dried cranberries (our house is bare right now lol)
cm1: veggie burger (less than 4 carbs), mustard, 1/2 tomato
cm2: rotisserie chicken, caesar salad
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-13, 09:09

BF:

240.8 today- new low!! :-D :-D :-D
First workout with trainer today- I've been going to the gym the last 2 days and doing the assignment he gave me but today will be the first one with him.
Plan for today:
rm- protein smoothie, enchiladas, corn and rice, chocolate milk
cm- chicken caesar salad
cm- eggs, 1/2 tomato
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-13, 10:45

I agree, I should add some more veggies for my CMs, but I'm not too worried about the lack of veggies in my RM breakfast. In The Stress Eating Cure book the Hellers wrote, they stated that you don't need to include veggies IF you are having your reward meal for breakfast. However, if you are having your RM for lunch or dinner, you must include them. Not sure why that is, they never really explained that. Maybe there is some sort of metabolic advantage if you have your RM for breakfast so the veggies aren't necessary for that meal.

I've had this head of red cabbage that I've finally been using up these past few meals:
RM breakfast today: leftover fried rice with sauteed cabbage, eggs, brownie
Yesterday's CMs were:
D: skipped lunch and had an early dinner of chicken thighs and sauteed cabbage
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-13, 11:28

BF:

I am getting more in the healthier side of eating, but do have room to improved on the veggie front at RM and also exercise. I ordered some bulk spices from Amazon that are supposed to be great for various health reasons:

Ceylon Cinnamon- good for reducing Insulin Resistance

Tumeric- the Curcurmin in it is good for the digestive system, anti inflammatory, possibly helps reduce diabetes and even alzheimer's, certain cancers, osteoarthritis

Ginger- arthritis, sour stomach, sore throats, overall immune booster

Chia seeds- appetite supressant, omega-3's, fiber, seeds swell up like gel and make fluid packets for hydration when injested, good source of numerous vitamins and minerals.

Anyway, this is not medical advice but just my own internet research. My Dad has been into all this stuff a long time and isn't it funny how the older I get, the smarter he has become to me? LOL

Does anyone know the Heller's stance on taking herbal supplements and if there is a list of ones that are ok to take with CM's and not just RM's? I'd be curious.

MIW
  #134   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 09:29

BF:

MiW I have no idea but I would be curious too! I don't think that herbs have any carbohydrates taken in medicinal doses so if I were guessing I would say you would be completely fine- I think there are a ton of benefits- it couldn't hurt!
Blenders- that is very interesting! I was thinking if we really wanted to try and get more vegetables, a green smoothie with the veggies hidden in the smoothie could be a good way to go, too. I am out of my stuff or I would be having them in the mornings
240.8 today- same as yesterday. I wanted to get to 233 by the end of Feb and so I think I will surpass that goal this time- woo hoo! I was glad to be 240 again today- since I've dropped close to 3 lbs in the last couple of days it's good to see it stabilize.
Today's plan:
rm: eggs and rice, smoothie, cupcake (mmmm)
cm: probably a boca burger and tomato for lunch, not sure for dinner
Working out today- have to do my treadmill workout
My trainer and I worked out yesterday for the first time and it was SOOOO hard! I am glad I have already gone down 20 lbs or I don't know how long I would have lasted. It just reminds me that every pound I drop is going to help this all become easier for me. Celebrating my baby girl's 1st birthday this weekend- can't wait- and getting a pedicure to celebrate my 20 lb loss on Sunday! Woo hoo!
  #135   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 10:10

Just checking in.
I haven't seen a new low in a couple weeks now. But I also had some slip ups and cheats along the way.
Today I'm at 233.4 (1 pound up from my lowest so far).

Yesterday's CMs:
L - tuna/mayo/relish, glass of kombucha
D - ham & swiss cheese roll ups, cup of herbal tea
Today:
RM B - sausage, orange, donuts, bagel with cream cheese and jam, coffee with cream and stevia

We got our CSA box in today. Lots of citrus, apples, carrots and 2 big bunches of kale! I've never had kale before but I heard "kale chips" are awesome and easy to make. Can't wait!

Tomorrow is an usual treat, I'm going out to eat for breakfast and lunch, so I'll need to decide if I want my RM at a pancake restaurant or a late lunch at an ice cream parole. Decisions, decisions!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Closed Thread