Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 16:55
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Kashmiri (Karahi) Chicken with Mint

This dish is pictured here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...cken-with-mint/

This dish is my take on a dish that was served at a teensy-weensy (only had 6-7 tables) fledgling Indian-Kashmiri restaurant called the Tandoori Chicken here in Temple, Texas. Mr. Khan, the Kashmiri proprietor, took a liking to us, as we frequented his establishment once a week. It was so good, that was sure not a hardship. We thought if we went often enough, he might make a go of his new business. He would often chat with us a few minutes and you could see the pride he took in his cooking. He had a number of tasty dishes indeed. Sigh.

Sadly, despite the international makeup of this city, with its well-recognized Scott and White Hospital (one of the top 100 hospitals nationwide) he went out of business. We were so sad to see that happen and told him so. He was so kind when he came over to tell us he was going to have to close down, he spoke as if he bore some shame for not being to stay in business, as if he had let us down personally.

His cooking was so good, I’m still trying to come up with similar versions of a few of his better dishes. If you like Indian food, you will really like this easy-to-prepare Induction-friendly Chicken Mint dish. It is so light and refreshing….not at all heavy like some curry dishes. I’ve included in it what I know for certain was in the original dish, plus added a couple items of my own. I doubt Mr. Khan would say it’s EXACTLY like his ….but I think it’s quite close to what I remember his dish tasting like. Hope you’ll give it a try!

INGREDIENTS:

10 oz. chicken breast cut into strips or chunks
2 T. olive oil or butter
4 chopped green onions
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
¼-¾ tsp. crushed dried red pepper (you know how hot you like stuff)
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
1 T. chopped fresh mint
2 coarsely chopped seeded tomatoes
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Garam Masala Spice Blend (http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...an-spice-blend/)

DIRECTIONS: Heat the oil in a skillet or wok. Add chicken and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Add green onion and stir-fry 2 minutes longer. Add all remaining ingredients and stir gently for few minutes longer. Transfer to serving dish and serve over steamed cauliflower you have slightly mashed down with a for.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serves 2, each containing:

333 calories
20.95 g fat
8.5 g carbs
5.7 g fiber
28.5 g protein
291 mg. sodium
2.8 g NET CARBS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 18:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yum! Looks good. I'll have to give this a whirl. I've got mint and cilantro growing!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 21:15
Patience Personified

That'll work for ya! Hope you like it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-22-11, 08:35

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

That looks yummy and simple to make. Thanks for posting it Peggy.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-22-11, 09:03
Patience Personified

My pleasure, Lizzy.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-22-11, 12:29

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Looks good. I have the mint in the garden, can order the coriander from my local Turkish greengrocer!

Yummy!

amanda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-22-11, 18:56
Patience Personified

Sounds like you're good to go on this then! Hope ya like it Amanda.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 11:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/162/143 Female 60
BF:
Progress:
Default Yummy

Just cooked this and it was absolutely wonderful, thanks
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-12, 20:31
Patience Personified

I'm so glad you liked this, Patw. It's pretty easy and the flavor is always well-received when I serve it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-12, 23:54

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Yum! I love Indian food! I'll be making this one soon!

Years ago we were heartbroken when our local Pakastani restaurant closed. Their food was excellent and the nan bread was the best we had ever had, tasting like wheat and honey.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-12, 03:01

Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Wow this looks delicious!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 20:23
Patience Personified

Thank you Muffles! You'll like this one, I think.

Polly, we, too had a very small Pak restaurant here in Temple for awhile. GREAT cooks! But he was forced to close as the rent for his tiny building was outlandishly expensive. I've been hoping he might reopen somewhere else in town, but sadly he only does private party catering now. I hate when great places close down like that.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 12:56

Stats: 20/20/25 Female 5feet2inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you

I'm a Pakistani and DH had been trying to do low carb. At first i was at a complete loss at what to make that would be closer to our cuisine. We eat way less oil, chili powder and salt than your average Pakistani btw. The more i browse such forums the more i realize there are tons of dishes i can make which are full of flavor, familiar to our taste buds and low carb. I am also starting to appreciate simple seasonings like freshly ground black pepper.

I can tell just by reading your recipe it will be delicious and bursting with flavor. I will try this tomorrow for dinner.

The more recipes i try from this site the more confident i get in adjusting them to our liking. This is why even without having tried your recipe as yet, i know its going to be a keeper.

Ps: i have a feeling that what you ate at the restaurant was a dish called 'karahi' chicken. Karahi is Urdu for wok.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-15, 08:44
Patience Personified

Welcome Xephyr. I indeed hope you like this dish. I never knew what it was called. Thank you! I'm VERY fond of Indian/Pakistani foods and cook it a lot. If you go to my blog and type Indian or Kashmiri into the search box, you will find lots of recipes that will appeal to your family's palate. I even have a lovely Garam Masala spice blend that surpasses any I've tried to date from cookbooks. I have lots of Middle Eastern recipes, too, as my family lived in Teheran for 2 years when I was 10-12 years old. Love those culinary flavors as well. Very similar cuisines actually. You might like those, too. I hope you find many more recipes there to try (nearly 900 on the blog now) and may they help you be successful at the health and weight loss you want to achieve. I'm staying so busy with my blog, my Facebook page and the Low Carbing Among Friends (cookbooks) Facebook page, I don't get to revisit the forums here as often as I once did. But I do pop in occasionally to chat wtih old friends here.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-15, 05:04

Stats: 20/20/25 Female 5feet2inches
BF:
Progress:

It was yummy. BTW your screen namw is also very kashmiri